Things you had better get used to living in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Things you had better get used to living in Thailand

Post by HHTel »

Agree absolutely, 404. There's real childish behaviour by a bunch of morons on the 'other forum'. Owned by The Nation to give a clue!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

And the #1 thing you better get used to:

Endless oppressive heat and humidity... :duck:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhfarang wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 pm And the #1 thing you better get used to:

Endless oppressive heat and humidity... :duck:
Some get used to it and some don't. 5 yrs. here and 19 in Florida and I've never become used to it.
AsAw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AsAw »

Would you say the humidity's better, worse, or the same as Vietnam?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Posters talk about people adjusting and getting a tolerance to the heat.My experience seeing new arrivals is that either you have it or don't, you don't acquire it. Some expats are comfortable with it almost immediately and some never get comfortable with it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Now that I spend a third of the year here, I seem to have become more tolerant to it, I used to have to use air conditioning to sleep but I've been here for a few weeks now and haven't used it once.
daio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by daio »

Whilst me and the Mrs where going home from MV last night in a Tuk tuk some one threw a
full bucket of water over us we were soak our shopping was soaked but if that's the type of thing I've got to get use to then no problem.But then of course Thais think that farang have
Lots of money that's some thing else if got to get use to.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

daio wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 am Whilst me and the Mrs where going home from MV last night in a Tuk tuk some one threw a
full bucket of water over us we were soak our shopping was soaked but if that's the type of thing I've got to get use to then no problem.But then of course Thais think that farang have
Lots of money that's some thing else if got to get use to.
Do you mean getting used to having lots of money or getting used to Thais thinking you have lots of money? :laugh:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I don't entirely agree with the whole heat thing. I do believe that you can and will get used to it but you will need to suffer a bit in the process. When I was living here for the first 4 or 5 years, I relied heavily on air con and etc. Now I don't even own one and neither do I have a need for one.

Even with just a single fan on in the bedroom, I can no longer sleep without some sort of cover. I also find myself getting seriously cold now at certain times of the year, to the point where I have started using my old snow boarding jacket.

I think my body started changing once I stopped using aircon, but the change never happened overnight.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Fandango wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 pm I recently signed up here in the hope that there may be some useful postings. I am still looking! In the main it is a series of bitching and moaning from, in the main, people who can’t afford to live here and compare everything with home. Never mind the Thais, some of whom I find delightful, the western estate agents are the biggest bunch of scumbags here!
If, like me, you have lived around Asia you will still find Thailand one of the best bets.

I think you will encounter moaning and bitching regardless of which country you live in. The only difference being in that in many our own countries, we have to put up with the locals bitching and moaning even more than the expats do. :laugh:

Everyone enjoys a good moan every once in a while, and to be honest, I regularly find the moans to be quite funny and entertaining. A former forum member (Sandman I think), used to sometimes post some cracking rants, and I really do mean that in a nice way.

And, when it comes to the miserable people who moan about anything and everything, well, I find them quite funny as well because they are not achieving anything other than strengthening their discontent which in turn leads to even greater discontent, and the fact that they cannot see this is quite amusing to me.

There really is very little for me to bitch and complain about in Thailand, other than when some or other numpty tries to introduce stupid new laws. Of course, I should laugh at that as well because I have been here long enough to know that most silly new laws never amount to much in the end, and I am often grateful to the Thais for ignoring silly laws.

Yes I know, the law is the law and all that good stuff, but sometimes there are laws which really do need to be ignored.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Takiap wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:51 pm Yes I know, the law is the law and all that good stuff, but sometimes there are laws which really do need to be ignored.
The Boys in Brown have got that down,
200 Baht with license or you don't leave town.
egiljohann
Amateur
Amateur

Post by egiljohann »

And when your wife or girlfriend tells you "it's up to you", but it shows up it's absolutely not!
:mrgreen: