Police protection racket?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Police protection racket?

Post by pitsch »

I have a house in pranburi. 1 week ago two policeman in uniform came by and told us they would protect us if we pay them 1000 Baht per month. As far as i understood we could call them in the night if we see burglars on our property and they would come. Implicing that they would not come if we dont pay.
I refused to pay, but my wife could not say no and said she would pay it from her money.
Has anybody had the same experience? And what should we do?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Protection racket?

Post by HHTel »

Should have got their name/number and reported them to the police station. Better still have the local police station number in your phone and call them while they are there. I've had similar and started to make the call. "Who you call?"...."Just checking with your boss" I replied.
Suddenly they had urgent business and had to leave!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Police protection racket?

Post by handdrummer »

I thought I was living in the 1950's and now I find out that it's Chicago, 1936.
Next time they come around follow HHtel's example.
Of course the police could send some local hooligans around to rob your place as an incentive to sign you up.
But hey, it's great living in LOS with bars on my windows, just like Southern California and many other areas in the U.S. Is there anywhere one can live anymore?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is this a racket? I've been using the scheme for a few years, and have been well satisfied. It has always seemed legal and above board to me.

We have had cause to use them about 5 times over the years, and they have been excellent. OK, sad that you have to pay to get this premium service, but we get a box outside our house, regular random visits where the officer signs in when he calls. When we've had a problem, a officer has always been with us in 2 minutes.

I agree it is sad that this is the only way we can get premium policing, but this is the way of Thailand. A racket is the last thing I would call it.

How much do gated communities pay per month to have a guard sleeping at the gate and sometimes informing the bad guys when residents are away? I'd rather have the police protection every day.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:34 am Is this a racket? I've been using the scheme for a few years, and have been well satisfied. It has always seemed legal and above board to me.

We have had cause to use them about 5 times over the years, and they have been excellent. OK, sad that you have to pay to get this premium service, but we get a box outside our house, regular random visits where the officer signs in when he calls. When we've had a problem, a officer has always been with us in 2 minutes.

I agree it is sad that this is the only way we can get premium policing, but this is the way of Thailand. A racket is the last thing I would call it.

How much do gated communities pay per month to have a guard sleeping at the gate and sometimes informing the bad guys when residents are away? I'd rather have the police protection every day.
I’m not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of doing this - it is very much a personal decision, but one thing that I would be conserned about would be whether it starts off at 1000 Baht a month but then creeps up over time - has your rate remained fixed BB?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it is the same rate that everybody on the scheme pays.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 am Yes, it is the same rate that everybody on the scheme pays.
BB, they BUILT a police box outside your residence because you pay? But it's not manned, correct?

I understand that our housing development also pay the police, and I'm told they visit during the night, but I never saw them. I'm dubious as to whether they come here to Hin Lek Fai to give this service, but I can't say for sure.

On the other hand, some of our nighttime security are as much use as jewellery on a pig, it's a constant battle to get the bad ones removed and the ones that stay awake employed.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have twice in the past informed the police that my house will be empty for a week/10 days. They have given me a form of columns which the police will sign with the time at regular intervals. I was to put the form in my post box. Haven't done it for a while but the form was duly signed every few hours when I got back.
Cost ---- free!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:06 pm BB, they BUILT a police box outside your residence because you pay? But it's not manned, correct?
Regular random visits throughout the day and night. They definitely come because our dogs hate them, and tell us every time they come.

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

After many years living here! To me this is confusing? They sign forms in your post box outside your house that they have checked, and then another post that there are many subscribers to this scheme, I have never heard of this before.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Our neighbor here in Bang Saphan, a resort, while not paying regularly donates stuff, and money, to the locals. He also feeds, and waters, them on occasion. He has also introduced us to them and we spent time taking pictures with them (their idea). He asked them to watch over us also. They come by periodically and I see them late at night checking up also.

We have never been asked for anything and, being away from town in a rural setting, it's nice to have.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
jimk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jimk »

We had the same thing back in the early 70s in Bangkok, except then it was 20 baht a month. At the time my understanding was that we were paying them not to burgle us.