Pros and Cons of Colonization

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Pros and Cons of Colonization

Post by PeteC »

I'm quoting part of your post here HHTel as not to go off topic on your trip report thread:
HHTel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 am ............I haven't been into Malaysia for some years and I'd forgotten how different the driving is there. It's very obvious immediately you cross the border.

- The outside lane completely free and only used for overtaking.
- Everyone driving within the speed limit.
- Ample gaps between the vehicles (no fender bending)
- Never saw one motorbike with more than 2 up and both wearing good helmets.
- Never saw a bike travelling the wrong way.
- No baskets on the front of a bike obscuring the headlight.
- No young children riding m/bikes.
- Quite an abundance of round-a-bouts and all being used correctly.
- Stop on the crown to turn right and the opposite traffic stops to let you through.
- At traffic lights, I noticed everyone appears to wear seat belts.
- Solid lines on the roads being respected.
- Road markings were clear as opposed to worn out like they are here.

All in all, a pleasant reminder on how traffic on the roads should be.

Why are the Thais so very different from their neighbours? The rules are the same.
It's not because of police presence. Plenty of that in Thailand but while in Malaysia, I hardly ever saw a policeman!

I wonder if Thais, when over the border, alter their driving habits. If so, why not here?...........
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Pros and Cons of Colonization

Post by PeteC »

My personal feeling is that Colonization will bring with it organization and a rules based society, generation after generation. That never happened here and therefore the differences you saw concerning rules of the road and driving behaviour. I would imagine the driving in Burma is much better than here as well.

Of course there are negatives but each time I hear "We've never been colonized...." I think, "...and are you aware or ever think about what the up-side of it would have been?"

To each his own and if they want to use the fact as their motto, good for them. It's one of those things politicians can use to beat the nationalistic drum when it's of use to them. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although I generally agree that the highway rules are much better observed in Malaysia than they are here, most of us will have observed farangs forgetting their rules of the road and go native once here - how many times do you see them driving without helmets or drink driving which they are unlikely to do back home?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I'm guessing that there is formal driver education provided for free before anyone is allowed to operate a motorized vehicle, in Malaysia.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Walking home in KL with my hosts at 11 at night. We came to a crossing and the light was against us. We could see clearly for several hundred mts in all 4 directions--not a vehicle to be seen but we stood for a couple of mins and waited for the lights to change. This was not fear of being caught by police, we did it because it is the law.
In truly civilized countries, people buy into the idea that it is better for everybody if everybody follows the law, it is called a civil contract. In Thai this has never happened there is no respect for government or the law and quite frankly that is a sensible attitude considering the low level of governing and policing.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

RCer. Why should it be free? http://smrakyat.com/ (a driving school). Seems like in Malaysia you don't just turn up and expect to pass a simple test. This website mentions L and P licences, Learner and Provisional (I guess). I doubt that driving without a licence is tolerated like here.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Do they still have L plates in the UK. This is such a good idea to alert other motorists to be more courteous to a learner driver. I guess it would have no effect in Thai where there is not much courtesy.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I0 looked up the procedure for getting a licence. OMG. It's more involved than the UK. Before even getting a learner licence you have to register with an approved driving school. While on 'L' plates, you can only drive when accompanied by a licenced driving instructor. After passing examinations and tests you are awarded a 'P' plate which runs for 2 years. Only after that do you get a full licence. Throughout the procedure you have to take driving lessons. During that time, if you accumulate 10 penalty points, your licence is revoked.

Having gone through all that, I imagine people are worried about losing their licence that they follow the rules.

Source: https://www.comparehero.my/blog/get-dri ... e-malaysia
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

When I hear that Thai was never colonized, I look sad, lower my head and say "I'm sorry, i can't think why you weren't colonized"
Malaysia and S'pore are unusual--when they hear a British accent, sooner or later they say with a big smile "we used to be a British colony, you know"
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Pro: Good Bread (If the colonizer was France….)
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I sort of have mixed feelings about this. To be honest, if I really think about it seriously, then I have to admit, at least to myself, that I probably wouldn't be here today if Thailand was like Malaysia or Singapore. In fact, I am almost 100% certain.

When I first came to Thailand in 1997, I fell in love with the country as it was, and within just a few years I had moved here permanently, fully aware of the fact that there are soi dogs, litter in every direction, bad driving, no sense of logic, very little English, etc, etc, etc.

However, I still chose to live here. I have been to Malaysia numerous times and I have never been drawn to the place like I was to Thailand. Being in KL is not much different to being back in Europe, or to being in my own country as it was many years ago.

I guess I will just have to put my hand up and admit that I like Thailand just the way it is. Of course I have my bad days where everything here seems to annoy the hell out of me, but I put that down to the fact that I'm becoming an old git now. :laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Takiap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 am I like Thailand just the way it is. Of course I have my bad days where everything here seems to annoy the hell out of me, but I put that down to the fact that I'm becoming an old git now.
Agree 100 % and also would have never stayed here if even close to resembling home country. Being a Yank, obviously not a fan of colonization, being ruled over by another nation. Well over ourselves in days past, as in today's world, that would be a bit hypocritical. :roll:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

hhinner wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 pm RCer. Why should it be free? http://smrakyat.com/ (a driving school). Seems like in Malaysia you don't just turn up and expect to pass a simple test. This website mentions L and P licences, Learner and Provisional (I guess). I doubt that driving without a licence is tolerated like here.
In the US driver training is part of 10th grade curriculum in the public schools and is mandatory.

You start with a learners permit (driving accompanied by a licensed driver at age 15 and 1/2).

At 16 you take a written and practical test for your license. You must provide proof of completing a formal driving class and proof of insurance.

If you pass both tests, you get a license to drive a car, only. Other things like motorbikes have their own specialized training and testing requirements.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Depending on which state in the USA.....as 50 different everything.

I know my driver ed in HS was useless. No completion needed for permit. Did get 10 % discount on insurance though.

Simply pass the idiot test (PA verbal / driving) and you have a license, and no different than here, actually less testing. Same with scooter. Nothing special about it.

Strangely the 'tester' had little knowledge of scooters, as part of test was to go through slalom of cones, place fairly close together, and required to hit 3rd gear. I was on a 750, so shifted to 2nd, twice, as impossible to go that slow in 3rd without stalling. Hopefully that has changed, though most start out on smaller scooters.

Gets very technical with a truck driver's license though. As I had all 3.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

[/quote]
In the US driver training is part of 10th grade curriculum in the public schools and is mandatory.
You start with a learners permit (driving accompanied by a licensed driver at age 15 and 1/2).
At 16 you take a written and practical test for your license. You must provide proof of completing a formal driving class and proof of insurance.
If you pass both tests, you get a license to drive a car, only. Other things like motorbikes have their own specialized training and testing requirements.
[/quote]

but you are NOT in the US !!!