Pros and Cons of Colonization

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Pros and Cons of Colonization

Post by Homer »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:39 pm
Playing all y'all want won't change that you don't know the difference between colonization and a colonic.
I was thinking about this. I've no idea what you want to say. Sorry.
It's for europtimiste. His response, if any, will show no understanding.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

migrant wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 am
I believe he was being sarcastic saying euro didn't know shit from shinola (does that translate across the pond)?
I modified a common american response to aggressive ignorance: You don't know your a$$ from a hole in the ground. Not sarcastic. Intended for europtimiste.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Homer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:28 pm
migrant wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 am
I believe he was being sarcastic saying euro didn't know shit from shinola (does that translate across the pond)?
I modified a common american response to aggressive ignorance: You don't know your a$$ from a hole in the ground. Not sarcastic. Intended for europtimiste.
FYI an aSh. is very useful, but not a stinking piece of shit. You expected a reply , you have it.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

laphanphon wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am In reality, there really isn't an 'pros' for colonization, unless you are the invading force.
col·o·ni·za·tion
noun
the action or process of settling among and establishing control over the indigenous people of an area.

verb
"colonization"
the action of appropriating a place or domain for one's own use.
Difficult to have a discussion anyway when eurotrash and his shouty adversaries are polluting the thread. Mods seem happy with it though.

OK you are entitled to your opinion, and to ignore the advances that colonisation brought to civilisations that were willing to accept them (those that didn't of course did not benefit). But I think many of the comments that precede yours have more weight.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Colonisation lead to the destruction of something like 90% of the indigenous populations of countries like America and Australia.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:28 pm Colonisation lead to the destruction of something like 90% of the indigenous populations of countries like America and Australia.
And in the case of Australia, a never ending ongoing national problem with those that didn't happen to live in Tasmania! :twisted:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:33 pm
laphanphon wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am In reality, there really isn't an 'pros' for colonization, unless you are the invading force.
col·o·ni·za·tion
noun
the action or process of settling among and establishing control over the indigenous people of an area.

verb
"colonization"
the action of appropriating a place or domain for one's own use.
Difficult to have a discussion anyway when eurotrash and his shouty adversaries are polluting the thread. Mods seem happy with it though.

OK you are entitled to your opinion, and to ignore the advances that colonisation brought to civilisations that were willing to accept them (those that didn't of course did not benefit). But I think many of the comments that precede yours have more weight.
Advances ??? What advances worth dying for ???

Well not many accepted them, when they were able to defend themselves. If not wiped out. Most revolting against their foreign, far away overseers. As they seemed to be the only ones benefiting, their bank accounts.

The reason why no Empires left, nobody wanted to be part of 'colonization'. Being conquered or forced into unfair trade agreements (EIT Co) ..... is the colonization that was rejected over and over.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

A very passionate debate about a 19th. century events and what about a worse calamity ? Globalization ! The invasion of imperialist yankee products as McDonald and Starbuck in several countries, even with a coffee tradition.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If the products didn't work then they wouldn't be there. An 'invasion' that is obviously welcomed in many countries.
Even Thai companies are putting emphasis on expanding abroad, often with acquisition of existing foreign companies.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

As stated, all welcomed, and extremely beneficial to both, exporter/importer. USA doesn't manufacture much, so not much, hence the trade deficits. Two street on that globalizaion.

Globalized name brand, McD and such, using local products and providing employment, a win win all the way around, and no guns pointed at people's heads.

Apples and oranges.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The wonderful thing about products is that if you don't like them you don't have to buy them.
Actually the U.S. manufactures (Google made in U.S.A.) quite a lot but most are expensive and not exported.
So far it's only in the U.S. that guns are pointed at people's heads in fast food joints. But, you never know, that may catch on in other countries.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Gun reference was nobody forcing anything on anyone, such as old days. War ship at docks, sign trade agreement or else.

Products not that expensive in USA, and what the attempt to restructure, or simply pull out of the crap trade agreements previous administrations have negotiated.

I find products sold in the USA, are cheaper than most everywhere. Along with petrol and food / everyday living needs. Didn't realize it till I came here how expensive other countries were.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Another problem with Colonialism is that countries did not send out their best and brightest to the colonies. Wealthy families who had a not-so-bright son could ship him off to the colonies--out of sight, out of mind.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^No, they were sent to the seminary.
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

laphanphon, to compare cost of living pick a city in the U.S. with the same population as Hua Hin and google: "cost of living in ........", then use the Numbeo website. Do it for the North, South, West and Mid West. Pensacola, Fl. would work for the south.
I understood your gun reference. I have a different sense of humor.

I was speaking of products manufactured in the U.S. ex: clothing, shoes, ext.

Yes, other countries are expensive to live in. At least that's my experience in England, France, Germany, Holland and Australia. Especially housing. In the U.S. rents are high. Here I pay 15,000bht for a 2 bd., 2 bath, fully furnished house with a community pool. In, for example, Eugene, Or. I'd get, if I were lucky, an unfurnished studio apt. Or share a 4 bedroom condo with Uni. students.