Pros and Cons of Colonization

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Pros and Cons of Colonization

Post by oakdale160 »

One of the things that the British did was establish a small local middle class and a group of local middle-managers. Interestingly these people became more British than the British and were really opposed to independence as they were doing well under the British.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Takiap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 am I sort of have mixed feelings about this. To be honest, if I really think about it seriously, then I have to admit, at least to myself, that I probably wouldn't be here today if Thailand was like Malaysia or Singapore. In fact, I am almost 100% certain.

When I first came to Thailand in 1997, I fell in love with the country as it was, and within just a few years I had moved here permanently, fully aware of the fact that there are soi dogs, litter in every direction, bad driving, no sense of logic, very little English, etc, etc, etc.

However, I still chose to live here. I have been to Malaysia numerous times and I have never been drawn to the place like I was to Thailand. Being in KL is not much different to being back in Europe, or to being in my own country as it was many years ago.

I guess I will just have to put my hand up and admit that I like Thailand just the way it is. Of course I have my bad days where everything here seems to annoy the hell out of me, but I put that down to the fact that I'm becoming an old git now. :laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:
Spot on Takiap IMO. Thailand should be proud of never having been colonized, despite the obvious downsides. Malaysia, including Singapore, can be light relief for a while but just TOO clean and organised if that is possible? But for those who think that driving back here in the UK, the so called role model for all other colonized places, is still exemplary - sorry to burst your bubble. It is worse. Just one example was last night. Making my way into my city centre on a main but narrow 2 lane road with a 30 mph speed limit. Road completely blocked by a taxi at right angles, in front of 2 cars collided on one side of the road, one on the opposite pavement, and a car perched on it's side in the middle of the road. That must have taken some doing, and clearly the result of serious speeding.
That was an extreme example, but it is common for boy racers in cars and on quad bikes etc to totally ignore the safety of other road users - and pedestrians.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Oh come on. No one has ever said British drivers are without fault.... but you say it's worse. How do the RTA and deaths on the road compare between the two countries?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

MDMK wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:31 pm Oh come on. No one has ever said British drivers are without fault.... but you say it's worse. How do the RTA and deaths on the road compare between the two countries?
Of course the UK has its share of bad drivers but most have gone through a vigorous driving test and the majority follow the rules of the road (the Highway Code). The number that infringe the rules may be growing, but I’m sure it’s still a relatively small percentage compared to Thailand and many drivers are still very courteous and will let you out of a side road or whatever - here it’s almost never.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I totally agree Danny Boy. The post before mine said driving in the UK was worse than here. That's just sooo wrong. Driving in the UK is about as pleasant (and safe) as driving gets. Driving here in Thailand. Ha. I'll let my husband drive so I can concentrate on my phone. That way I don't see the multitude of near misses around me. I think Margaret is the one living in the bubble.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

After rereading Mag's post, I don't think she was saying it's worse than Thailand. Just that it's not exemplary as many think. It doesn't look like she's comparing the two countries. Maybe it could have been worded differently!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I like KL, there are so many nice touches. One of my favorites--I saw a sign above the garbage bins at a bus station

PLEASE KEEP THINGS NEAT AND TIDY, THANK YOU.

KL is really neat and tidy. Thais must hate it.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

oakdale160 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:34 am I like KL, there are so many nice touches. One of my favorites--I saw a sign above the garbage bins at a bus station

PLEASE KEEP THINGS NEAT AND TIDY, THANK YOU.

KL is really neat and tidy. Thais must hate it.
Lesson from British colonisation? Singapore is the same. :D

Not sure why we're talking about UK driving here. Unless it's to say that it's safer to drive on the left ? Most countries that drive on the left are ex-British colonies. So that was a pro. :D :D

https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

strangely japan drives on the left too.