Immigration getting generous?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Immigration getting generous?

Post by richard »

Well I did my annual renewal today

Everything seemed quite slick. Already posters on the doors about calling 1155 etc

The time was 12.45. Just before afternoon opening and already a multitude of people there. The ticket machine was switched on (for once) so took my ticket and realised I was 22 behind the last digit displayed on the electronic board. As europessimistic pointed out the hatch outside is purely for 90 day Myanmar, Laos and Cambodian clients so I assumed many in front of me were merely 90 day reportees.

13.05 the staff returned and after much banter and showing off of new tee-shirts, got down to work (Thai style of course).

There were three young girls (obviously there on work experience) working at the desks in the back of the office.

After a while a few punters were called to appropriate desks for 'servicing'. Then one of the trainees came round inspecting forms and collected 90 reportees papers and passports for processing outside of the main desk business. This seemed to be an ongoing process during the 30 minutes I waited before my number came up.

My annual renewal took two minutes to be scrutinised (I'd taken.....completed form, income letter from my embassy, copy of relevant passport pages, map of my dwelling location and one photo) and the grumpy overweight non-smiling female who served me just asked for 1900 bht and indicated I go and remain seated until my receipt and passport were ready. Having realised my smile, charisma and charms would not reveal some jovial banter, I went for a pee and waited for my receipt and passport.

All of two minutes expired and the little (cute) trainee presented me with my passport, receipt and 100 bht change :D

What's this?....I'd paid 1900 exact and I'm getting 100 back :shock: Well being the generous Yorkshireman that I am :laugh: I tried to explain I had paid the exact money. Oh dear, the poor girl was flustered and confused and rushed back to the desk to talk with the other trainees. I'd screwed up hadn't I? She was gonna lose mega face over this and all for 100 bht. I called her back and said sorry it was my mistake. She thanked me and, guess what, she went home with a 100 bht tip tonight :wink:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Immigration getting generous?

Post by richard »

Incidentally, you now get two stamps in your passport. The first headed by a 'retirement' stamp and indicating the duration of the extension and date of next extension The second reminding you to report every 90 days to confirm your address
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Yep, it's not like the old days. Everything running smooth and swift now.
A friend is only one click away
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

richard wrote:Incidentally, you now get two stamps in your passport. The first headed by a 'retirement' stamp and indicating the duration of the extension and date of next extension The second reminding you to report every 90 days to confirm your address
They went from 1 stamp to 2? Since 2013 I've received a single stamp that matches what you described.
Rrikzee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rrikzee »

Can you just remind me what I need to renew my annual O visa? It runs out later this month.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Rrikzee wrote:Can you just remind me what I need to renew my annual O visa? It runs out later this month.
Depends on what basis you're extending. Let us know that and we can help.
Rrikzee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rrikzee »

lomuamart wrote:
Rrikzee wrote:Can you just remind me what I need to renew my annual O visa? It runs out later this month.
Depends on what basis you're extending. Let us know that and we can help.
Thanks Lom, I will just be renewing another year on my Non "O" visa.
I assume I need copies of passport, photo, bank statement, house blue book. So just wondering what else.
I am out of the country at work right now and will be back at the end of the month, with my visa already expired.
Thanks
Rrikzee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rrikzee »

So, am I right in saying I require: Bank statement for the last 3 months, medical certificate, photos, copies of passport, house blue book?
Have I missed anything?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You will require a letter from your bank confirming your statement (most of us have a bank book I believe) is correct, and must be no more than 24 hours old. Balance stated in the letter must be exactly what your statement/book states.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:Balance stated in the letter must be exactly what your statement/book states.
Just to be painfully obvious, update the passbook before getting the bank letter, and bring the passbook to immigration.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi Rrikzee,

If your visa is already expired when you return as per your quote below, then I don't think you will be able to extend an expired visa.

This happened to me when my Non Imm "O" visa expired whilst I was out of the country last year, I came back on a tourist visa. I then had to change my tourist visa to a Non-Imm "O" visa (3 months) up in Bangkok as Hua Hin immigration can no longer do this. Once you're near the end of the 3 month Non-Imm "O" you can then get the 1 year extension from Hua Hin Immigration.

My experience was discussed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27101&p=367032&hili ... ia#p367032 and there may be some helpful info. for you in there.
I am out of the country at work right now and will be back at the end of the month, with my visa already expired.
Good Luck

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, your visa will have to be valid.
You can upgrade to a Non O from either a 30 day visa exempt entry or a tourist visa but that will involve a lot of running around as has been explained above. The best course of action would be to get another visa before you return if you have that opportunity.
Rrikzee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rrikzee »

Don ES, thanks for the update, looks like I have a bit of messing around to get this done. After all, we are in Thailand.

Lomu, unfortunately I dont have time to get the visa before I come.

Thanks guys
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Immagration is packed today. Standing room only.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

What time does it close?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip