Another (sorry) visa question

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

Re: Another (sorry) visa question

Post by PeteC »

The below is published in many places. Just Google.

For those voluntarily reporting their overstay:

Overstay more than 90 days –> Forbidden to re-enter for 1 year
Overstay more than 1 year –> Forbidden to re-enter for 3 years
Overstay more than 3 years –> Forbidden to re-enter for 5 years
Overstay more than 5 years –> Forbidden to re-enter for 10 years

For those who have been apprehended:

Overstay less than 1 year –> Forbidden to re-enter for 5 year
Overstay more than 1 year –> Forbidden to re-enter for 10 years
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^^ You're right LOMU. I can't find anything stating that the new regulations are indeed in force. Some sources say that many immigration offices have the new regulations posted for everyone to see. Other sources say the new law will never be enacted as it means changing the entire Immigration Act of 1979.

Who knows? Another of those things being arbitrarily enforced or not? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I know that others have more experience than me, but I'd be inclined to go to immigration today!! - the worst they will do is the same as at the airport, fine and overstay stamp, but there's half a chance they might be lenient with you - at BKK it's 0%.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thinking about it logically, even a visit to immigration, will not alter a person's validity in Thailand, and it might mean migrant has to leave Thailand sooner than planned to gain official status again. Of course, this is Thailand, and logic does not apply - not one of the people I've known in a similar situation in the last 12 months actually left Thailand, and they are all still legally resident here.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't think beyond possibility that some offices would issue an extension, and back date it....for a fee. Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But there's the possibility of finding an honest officer.

The above is meant in the nicest of ways, because a win/win situation is sought here.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I'm no expert in this area but if the OP applies for a 30-day extension and is rejected on the basis of overstay, would he not then be given a 'you must get out within 7 days' stamp, after paying the overstay fine - which would at least give him a few more days in the country to get his affairs in order?

Or is it even possible they would do a full backdated 30 days extension, providing the overstay fee was paid?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

All good ideas, advice, and thoughts, thanks!!

I'm thinking of going to immigration, but with a suitcase in the car in case the judgement is "leave now". We were thinking of a trip, but that was motivated by the visa so would rather wait a little, but can go if need to.

Friends who came in unexpectedly leave tomorrow from Chumphon. We will drive from there to immigration to hopefully sort it out. If I win the caption contest I may be delayed!!! :D :D

Please continue with any thoughts and ideas!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

OK, again, thanks for all the suggestions, it turned out easy, but costly.

Before going to immigration the wife and I discussed what to say;

"What do you mean expired? are you sure? Oh, no now what!!"

or

"I thought we had 60 days, perhaps there was a mixup?"

In the end we said

"I overstayed"

The immigration man (kid actually) didn't raise an eyebrow. He calculated the 500 baht a day fine, collected the 1,900 bt extension fee, did the paperwork and handed everything back, all good.

My first immigration trip and it went pretty quick. About 30-40 minutes including filling out the form (TM7), getting passport copied, and a photo of me (sorry to the camera).

So no trip today, but will need to leave by 17 Dec and apply for a 60 day visa while out.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think that's a good result. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....and, since it seems he backdated the extension to Nov. 17, did he also stamp "overstay" in your passport?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good work migrant - I know TIT, but honesty has to be the best option :thumb:

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:....and, since it seems he backdated the extension to Nov. 17, did he also stamp "overstay" in your passport?
I did get the overstay stamp. He said nothing to worry about currently as long as you don't have multiple overstays, and multiple short time exits.

Maybe when I'm back in the states I'll "lose" my passport and request a new one.

Has anyone known of somebody having a problem with an "overstay" stamp?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son and I received our overstay stamps a long time ago - never any ill-effects on us. In fact my son has since obtained a Thai Passport as well.

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I had 5 or 6 overstays in my old passport (last time was about 7 years ago though) and never had any trouble getting a new visa, visa exempt stamp or entry into the country.
As you can see, that was some time ago and things are tighter now. I'd take notice of what the officer said - be careful of multiple overstays.