Another (sorry) visa question

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Another (sorry) visa question

Post by artyoz »

A question to clarify, but being married to a Thai national don't you only need 400000b in the bank?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, that's correct but if an applicant qualifies for a retirement extension as well (age and finances), the latter is much easier to get and Imm will prefer it that way as well.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The 400,000Baht limit only applies if you want a spouse visa, if you go for a normal retirement visa you still need 800k, this is what most people go for as the Spouse visa is more difficult to obtain
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

migrant wrote: My plan;

1) Prior to 60 days, Dec 19, I will go to Hua Hin immigration and get an automatic 30 day extension to Jan 19, 2016.
Well looks like I goofed. I just realized my tourist visa is good for 30 days, not 60, so I am overextended. My visa expired Nov 17.

So, what happens now?? (besides a fine!!)

Thanks
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Are you sure? You don't even need a visa for a 30 day stay so odd an embassy issued you that. Your going to get "overstay" stamped in your passport and that's unfortunate as the computer record will follow you also. I personally wouldn't try leaving on your trip as they may not let you back in so quickly.

If it was me. I would get to your local immigration office ASAP, explain all and see what they can do. Tell them your building up an O or OA and retirement here shortly and you simply screwed up on this introductory trip. Take a Thai speaker with you, and some cash. The lost puppy look and humble eyes is probably in order as well. :wink:

I'm sure LOMU will be here shortly with more, or to recommend something different. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Another thing, your visa may have expired on November 17 meaning its "use by" date...meaning you had to enter the country by that date. Look at the stamp immigration gave you at the airport when you arrived as it will have a date you need to depart the country by. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:Another thing, your visa may have expired on November 17 meaning its "use by" date...meaning you had to enter the country by that date. Look at the stamp immigration gave you at the airport when you arrived as it will have a date you need to depart the country by. Pete
Hi Pete

Yes the Nov 17 is stamped on the line that says expires, but I've got a good hangdog expression I'm sure I will need! (plus some baht I am sure)

Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just so it's clear, the below is what you should look for in your passport and the "admitted until" date. Pete :cheers:
phplD83XUAM.jpg
phplD83XUAM.jpg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 652 times
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

This is how I did it:
I went to Thai consulate in the U.S. and they would not give me OA visa. They told me to get in Thailand. They did give me 3 month tourist visa. If they give you one in the U.S. you need police report, doctor report as well as proof of 800,000 in bank.
So when in Thailand I went to the U.S. embassy and got notarized affidavit on income. I did this so I could avoid the 800,000 in the bank. It has to be enough monthly income to total more then 800,000 annual. No need to verify. You just write it on the provided form and swear to it.
I paid 100 baht for doctor report. Got pictures and a copy of my rental lease so they know where I live.
I had to fill out forms and pay to get permission to upgrade visa. Then pay and fill out forms for OA(retirement) visa which they stamped as retirement. Oh yeah many copies of passport. Then filled out forms and paid for multiple reentry permit.

The bottom line is it is best to do in Thailand. No police report and for income just the form from U.S. embassy. No 800,000 in the bank.
Every year I get a new income affidavit at the U.S. embassy. I renew the retirement(OA) visa and new reentry permit.

One thing that is confusing is the difference between OA and retirement visa. You can get OA visa for different reasons. One of the reasons is retirement.

If you get advice that starts with "probably" or "I would think" it may not be correct.
If you treat the immigration people with respect and are very patient it will go along way.
Don't wait to the last minuet to do the paper work. There may be some documents etc. that they might ask for that you aren't prepared for.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:Just so it's clear, the below is what you should look for in your passport and the "admitted until" date. Pete :cheers:
phplD83XUAM.jpg
Hi Pete

Yes admitted until date is Nov 17 unfortunatly :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Tourist visas get 60 days on entry, so I'm guessing migrant only had a 30 day visa exempt entry. I think a border run is now in order as soon as possible to clear the overstay and get a new 30 day entry (if that's still possible) or get an actual visa (tourist or non-imm O). Anyone with advice on what's best and where and how to do that?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Is it worth going to immigration? Or should I just go to the airport and take the next plane out, and pay the fine?

Thanks All!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wouldn't like to say which is best - it sounds as if you've overstayed, so there's no hiding that.

I've known a few people in similar situations in the last 12 months who have thrown themselves at the mercy of immigration, and they've always been able to 'work' something out.

Normally I would say do the same, but as you intend leaving on a short holiday anyway it could be cheaper if you left, paying the overstay fine. However, you will get that overstay stamp in your passport.

Whatever you decide, I don't think you should leave it too long. We saw on the BS Forum that police are doing home checks on addresses in that area - owning up quickly must be better than getting caught.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If the overstay is more than 90 days but under 1 year, they are banned from the country for one year.

EDIT: If apprehended, overstay LESS than 1 year, banned for 5 years!

This is part of the new regulations that came out 60 days or so ago. Really best to get it taken care of ASAP....like yesterday. Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If you're caught with an overstay before you either exit the country or sort matters out with Imm, you stand a very real chance of being arrested, detained at the Imm Detention centre in BKK and deported.
Of the two options - go to Imm here or exit - I'd always go for the latter. At the airport or a land border, Imm judge that you've "handed yourself in". Just pay the fine, accept the overstay stamp and be on your way. The stamp won't adversely affect your being able to re-enter the country although it's best not to collect too many of them.
In the meantime, keep your head down and leave the country before too long.
Pete, I'm not sure that the new overstay regulations are actually in force yet. They're certainly on the table though.