Another (sorry) visa question

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Another (sorry) visa question

Post by migrant »

Thanks! I've learned so should not have in the future. :cheers: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Pleng wrote:I'm no expert in this area but if the OP applies for a 30-day extension and is rejected on the basis of overstay, would he not then be given a 'you must get out within 7 days' stamp, after paying the overstay fine - which would at least give him a few more days in the country to get his affairs in order?

Or is it even possible they would do a full backdated 30 days extension, providing the overstay fee was paid?
I think I win this thread! What's my prize?? :mrgreen:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Pleng wrote:
Pleng wrote:I'm no expert in this area but if the OP applies for a 30-day extension and is rejected on the basis of overstay, would he not then be given a 'you must get out within 7 days' stamp, after paying the overstay fine - which would at least give him a few more days in the country to get his affairs in order?

Or is it even possible they would do a full backdated 30 days extension, providing the overstay fee was paid?
I think I win this thread! What's my prize?? :mrgreen:
Your choice, a free visit to immigration, or a free beer (in Bang Saphan!!) :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Hmm well the trip to immigration feels kinda like the booby prize! I'll possibly take you up on the beer if I ever make it down to BS (unfortunate abbreviation!), though...
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter is here on an ED visa which expires next month. Her flight is booked 2/3 weeks later. Can she extend her stay by 30 days at HH immigration?
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

HHTel wrote:My daughter is here on an ED visa which expires next month. Her flight is booked 2/3 weeks later. Can she extend her stay by 30 days at HH immigration?
There is probably some more recent information but we had a similar problem about some years ago. Child 1 attending Uni here from Oz. We were flooded out and she lost both Thai ID and passport came back to the kingdom on the Oz Passort on ED visa. Visa finished and she needed to extend.
She filled out an immigration TM 7 (see link) got a letter of certification of studies from Payap Uni,
Copy of Passport, copy of grades, fee receipt and 2 sets of pics.,This was done without leaving the Kingdom. The cost was less than 2000 baht then. But HAS to be done prior to visa expiration.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/do ... df/tm7.pdf
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I think not, I'm afraid.

She can apply for an extension, which would probably be rejected if she's not intending to continue studying. I believe a rejection to any extension gives you a big black "get out within 7 days" stamp which firstly isn't a proper extension, it's a request to leave and secondly wouldn't be long enough anyway.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

In my never ending screw ups on visa's I failed to get an extended visa in the US, ran out of time.
So I am here on the 30 day visa only.

Question- I am going up to Hua Hin this week, only 7 days into my 30 days. If I go to get an extension at immigration, will they give me from the date I visit, or from the date my visa expires?

Thanks!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I presume you mean you're here on the 30 day visa exempt stamp?

Not that it makes a difference in this case... your extension will be 30 days from the date your stamp expires.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Pleng wrote:I presume you mean you're here on the 30 day visa exempt stamp?

Not that it makes a difference in this case... your extension will be 30 days from the date your stamp expires.
Thanks!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks to you all, and Chas especially, I have a better understanding of visas, but....... it didn't help me screw up.

I went to BKK and got the income letter from the embassy, very easy. I was told to make sure I get the stamp on the back. When I asked the embassy lady she said the Thais do that.

Well she didn't say that it had to be done in BKK. I found out at HH immigration. Also my visa had 14 days left, and immigration said I need 15 days left.

OK live, and learn.

I think we will go to Penang (besides my visa questions any suggestions in Panang appreciated!).

Question

1) Will my income letter from Thailand work? I plan on getting the back stamped in BKK before we go.

Thanks all as always!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

OK, went to Penang and easily got a "O" visa good for 90 days. The embassy guy said to take to Hua Hin and I can extend for a year.

A couple questions

1) Will I need to do another income, or money in bank, letter?
2) Will the one year visa be multiple entry?
3) If I can get a police report I would like to convert to "O-A" is this easily done?

Thanks as always!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

1. Money in bank letter, almost certainly will need a new one. The income letter may be OK. It's up to each individual office how long they allow the validity to be. Some allow 6 months, some a lot shorter period of time than that. I always try to extend within 2 weeks of the letter date.
2. You'll get an annual extension to the O visa, not a new visa. The extension won't be multi-entry. If you exit the country, you need a re-entry permit from Imm or you'll lose any remaining permission to stay. Re-entry permits are either single or multi. 1,000 THB for the former, 3,800 THB for the latter.
3. As already said, you're getting an extension not a visa. In any case, OA visas are only obtainable from your original country of residence. There's no need for one when you've got the extension. You will always extend annually from that original O visa as long as you do so in time. You can extend within 30 days of the expiry of any permitted to stay date.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

My experience in Hua HIn some 3 years ago was that the letter from the embassy must not be older than 6 weeks - for the first and I hope only time I paid bht6,000 to sort it. The cost to and stay in Bangkok to do it was about the same IMO ! I have not had occasion to test this again as 4 weeks is my maximum.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks!!

Lomuamart, you mention a re-entry permit, do you get that at the airport on return? Or do you enter, and go, to immigration?

Thanks!!