Transferring visa to new passport

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Transferring visa to new passport

Post by StevePIraq »

I hope someone can help with a passport issue I have.

I presently have two valid UK passports, both different numbers, one expires 2018 which has my Thai visa in it, it does not have two blank pages. My second UK passport expires 2024, this was issued in Kabul, Afghanistan and I only used it for entry and exit into Afghanistan.

Yesterday I did my 90 day reporting and questioned transferring my Thai visa to the new passport, I was told no problem as I do not have two pages in old passport so they will not put in old passport. I was told to bring a letter from the embassy stating the new passport was issued to me. In advance of renewing my yearly visa I went in today with both passports and a letter from the UK Embassy Kabul which I had the sense to get when I was there. As could be expected I was told no good, I must get a new passport issued in Bangkok with no other country stamps in it, WTF :banghead: , I requested to speak to a supervisor and advised that under British law one can have two passports, he had no idea and just kept saying no good, cannot. In the end he called another person and after long deliberation I was advised as follows; go to UK Embassy in Bangkok, get a letter saying the first passport is no longer valid and corner to be cut of passport, letter must state number of newest passport is valid.

I am worried now that even if I do this immigration will say no good, cannot, then I will have no time to do anything before my visa expires.

Anyone else gone through this issue. Have any suggestion,
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Transferring visa to new passport

Post by Dannie Boy »

Unless you get any better advice, I would do as immigration have suggested other than cutting the corner of the passport off until you return to immigration and they say all is ok, but you have to cut the corner of the passport - at least that way you will still have a valid passport with a visa in it if they change their mind - but hopefully they won't.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Do you have time to apply for a new passport to replace the full one? I think this only takes 2 to 3 weeks from Bangkok at the moment. Then you can do what immi wants. (Pedantry warning! I think you mean extension of stay, not visa. :) )
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Been in touch with UK Embassy in BKK, they can provide a letter to support the transfer to the new passport, only issue is I have to sacrifice the old passport which is neither full nor due to expire. Just means I will have one passport until I apply for another and will have to go to BKK, not the end of the world either way.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Just seen this thread and you've found out for yourself, StevePIraq .
A year or so ago,the Thai authorities started to need a letter regarding the authenticity of any new passport.
Happened to me a little while ago and at the time the Embassy letter was free and Imm charged about 500 THB to do the transfers. Those stamps took up 2.5 pages of the new passport.
BTW, I reckon that the Emb can only vouch for your new passport. They can't guarantee any stamps that Thai Imm put into it.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Update - Following on Thai Immigration instructions I today visited the UK Embassy in Bangkok, as instructed by the UK Embassy I took both passports and other supporting document, I expected to wait 4 hours for the letter as I had been advised would be the case. I reported to the front office on Wireless Road and was told there is no need to see anyone, here is a pre signed form, please complete all section and submit to immigration. No cost and no more than 1 minute plus of course 6 hours round trip driving. Thank god I don't live in Chang Mai.

The Embassy also did not cut the corner of the old passport so I still have 2, who knows f Thai Immigration will accept, if they don't I can cut the corner myself/

I have a blank signed copy of the form in adobe.pdf, send a pm if you would like a copy and save 6 hours driving
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

I am currently back in the UK and have received my renewed passport along with my old one (with corners cut off).

My Non-Imm "O" visa and re-entry permit are in my "old" passport, so do I need to do anything here in UK, or can I arrange to transfer the Non-Imm "O" visa once I'm back in Thailand?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
limbu

Post by limbu »

Hua Hin Immigration transferred one year visa and multi-entry permit from my old to new passport a couple of months ago, for a few hundred baht. Took about 30 minutes.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

You should definitely do it when you're back in Thailand - but it shouldn't cost you anything.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Did we not have a thread here somewhere saying that you need something proving that your new passport is genuine?

[Edit] :oops: This is that thread :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Myexperience was that it was very inconsistent. I got a new reirement visa in a PP with less than a year to run. The lady officer told me quite reassuringly that when I got my new PP I should come in and it can be transferred, No problem. When I tried to do that the unpleasant male officer was dissmissive of that and I had to get all new R visa and multiple rentry. He also said I should NOT staple old and new PP together, when I went back this year, the officer herself staples my PP together. Its a lottery!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:Did we not have a thread here somewhere saying that you need something proving that your new passport is genuine?

[Edit] :oops: This is that thread :D
Isn't that the epitome of silliness. If a fraud goes to the trouble to get a passport counterfeited, sure as hell he's going to get an official looking confirmation letter along with it if one is required. All immigration offices need a chip reader like they have at the airport. I don't think the frauds have been able to make/insert proper id micro chips yet....but I'm not positive. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Maybe they can take a few million out of their submarine money to fund the chip readers. :idea:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Some may call it silliness, others may see it as showing that they are in charge, and we have to dance to their tune.

Personally, surely if you've got your old passport, why would you risk a forgery, when getting a legitimate passport is not rocket science? Would anybody really go to the trouble of getting a forgery, and then go to the trouble of getting a visa transferred. If they were that stupid, surely they'd get a forgery with a forged visa already inside :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

BB Iam surprised at you, you have been here for years and are surprised by illogical Thai thinking??????
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, not at all surprised.

As I said, just showing us who's in charge.

Points 48; Position 18