Extending visa exemption.

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Extending visa exemption.

Post by STEVE G »

I was planning on spending four weeks here so I didn't bother getting a tourist visa but the day before I left I was offered the opportunity to take another week. I've looked online but there is contradictory information out there, can you extend a visa exemption at Immigration in Hua Hin? Ideally, I'd need eight more days and I don't want to leave the country if it's avoidable.
PeteC

Re: Extending visa exemption.

Post by PeteC »

I think Migrant just did it, but after the fact of an overstay. 7 days rings a bell.....but wait for Lomu or other. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Still new with everything SteveG.

In my case I came through immigration Oct 19. I realized Nov 27 that I had the visa exemption for 30 days only. Got to immigration Nov 29th. Immigration officer was great, no scolding, just penalty and extended 30 days from the original Nov 19 expiration. So should be no problem, cost 1,900 baht
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Yup. I've extended a couple of 30-day stamps this year. 1,900bt for 30 days. No problem.
You'll need to take a passport photo when you go to the immigration office. And don't forget to bring a pen, to fill the forms in! In all my visits I've only ever remembered the once and I always feel like a bit of a twit having to ask people to borrow pens all the time! :)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

OK, that's great, thank you for the information from the posters above. I can get a single ticket back that's a lot cheaper after about January 12th so 1,900 bt for an extension of the visa is no problem.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Pleng wrote:Yup. I've extended a couple of 30-day stamps this year. 1,900bt for 30 days. No problem.
You'll need to take a passport photo when you go to the immigration office. And don't forget to bring a pen, to fill the forms in! In all my visits I've only ever remembered the once and I always feel like a bit of a twit having to ask people to borrow pens all the time! :)
I went to Immigration this afternoon and it was just as you said, fill in a form, attach photo and about a twenty minute wait, no questions asked and 1,900 bt. Surprisingly efficient to be honest.
tirlittan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tirlittan »

As the Thai visa regulations are changing all the time, is the 30-day extension of 30-day visa exemption entry with 1,900THB payment at the IO still valid this winter? So if you are planning to stay max. 60 days you need not have a tourist visa but can enter the country and get 30 days stamp on your passport and then extend it with 30 days at the HH IO? Thanks for confirmation from somebody who knows.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Just done it last week, I got the feeling they would have preferred the visa which is actually cheaper! They made me go home and bring back a copy of my yellow book to prove where I was staying, then stapled the receipt for this in my passport.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
tirlittan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tirlittan »

What is yellow book?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is a Thai document for Farangs stating where they live. As a visitor on holiday, it is unlikely that you will have one.

You might need proof of the hotel where you are staying, which should match the address already held by Immigration (notified by you on your arrival card). If you move to a different hotel, the hotel 'should have' updated the Immigration record of where you are staying.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

But if you are staying with a friend, then they will have to inform immigration within 24 hours ( in the past this has been overlooked). They seem keener now to follow the rules!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

NOKYAI wrote:But if you are staying with a friend, then they will have to inform immigration within 24 hours
Takes about 10 minutes - go to the Investigation hut at Immigration with completed TM30.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Did my annual extension a few days ago. There was no need for a yellow book or any other psychedelic stuff.
Mind you, as always, I had a copy of my house rental agreement and a hand drawn cartoon of how to get to our place. Maybe that helped?
Imm have stapled an extra piece of paper, hand written in the appropriate places, into my passport. That is in addition to the normal 90 day report stuff. So, I guess that might relate to extra proof of address.
I suppose, as always, things are or are not done on a whim, who you get on the day and how they feel.