Employing a Thai

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Employing a Thai

Post by ahandpatsy »

Hello,

I am looking to employ somebody in the Hua Hin area

Their duties would be computer based, excel spreadsheet basics, using internet.

Low level stuff not programming but basic repeating admin stuff

I wouldn't be here to supervise all the time but can easily monitor work done from UK

Firstly does anybody have any recommendations

Secondly any help, guidance and advice would be gratefully received

Thirdly What pay rates would an admin person need ?

Regards

Ah
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Employing a Thai

Post by Bristolian »

ahandpatsy wrote:Hello,
I am looking to employ somebody in the Hua Hin area
Thirdly What pay rates would an admin person need ?
Ah
Your question depends on reliability of the person you expect and number of hours worked. For a full working month 40 hrs per week you should expect to pay 13,000 -15,000 Baht for someone who can also communicate in reasonable Tinglish. Pro rata for less hours but don't expect anyone reliable to accept less than 20 hours.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

ahandpatsy wrote: I wouldn't be here to supervise all the time but can easily monitor work done from UK
I haven't had any personal experience in this field, but there are a lot of threads here about how difficult it is to find reliable employees.

I'd think the task will be at least 10 times harder if you're not going to be in the county, let alone the office, to oversee the work being done.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

i guess thats why i was also trying to see if anybody also knew of a suitable candidate or where to start looking
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

and thanks for feedback guys
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

There is a reason businesses in Thailand are way over staffed.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHCanuck wrote:There is a reason businesses in Thailand are way over staffed.
Cheap labour?
Talk is cheap
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Cheap labour makes it possible but is not the reason. Why would any employer hire 5 when 2 can do the job even with low wages. It is simply to compensate for their lack in efficiency.

To the OP: friend of mine tried to monitor Thai staff from Europe. One disaster after another. He ended up offering what I thought ridiculous salaries to no avail. To cut the rest of the story short: Within a year he gave up.

I do not know what business your friend is in but if it is possible for him I recommend he has a look at India instead. English language no problem. Work ethos almost at Level Germany. Cost very low obviously due to local living standard but also thanks to fierce competition over there nowadays.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

asa generalization. Thai women are MUCH more reliable than the men who are totally unfocused and unambitious.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

oakdale160 wrote:asa generalization. Thai women are MUCH more reliable
... if you can keep them away from Facebook, Line, WhatsApp etc. for long enough!! :duck:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Roel wrote:Cheap labour makes it possible but is not the reason. Why would any employer hire 5 when 2 can do the job even with low wages. It is simply to compensate for their lack in efficiency.
I'm sure there's an element of truth in this, but it's a generalisation to say it's all to compensate for lack of efficiency. I just sometimes think we need to take our western hats off.

Employment practices, from my limited experience, primarily based on observing my other half's place of work are in a different World and go back to the age of the Ark. Where she works there are reams and reams of paper, 50+ accountants with a 'computer room', instead of one at each desk, doing what perhaps a team of 10 might manage in a modern western equivalent. But what would the gain be for the employer to replace those staff with a modern all-inclusive automated system, with labour so cheap?

I'm forever mystified, when in a Dept. store, that when I hand the money to the sales person, they take me to a cashier, who actually completes the transaction whilst another person is at hand to wrap the goods and hand them to you. And this is repeated all over.

But what would happen if there wasn't such a readily available, inexpensive workforce enabling almost full employment? With no back up welfare system to provide cover, the consequences of change are pretty bleak.
Talk is cheap