Immigration asking for more info from foreigners

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

Re: Immigration asking for more info from foreigners

Post by PeteC »

Here are the links for Khaosod English where the stories first started on April 18 and 19. Pete :cheers:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 1460977949

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 6&section=

EDIT: For those with a Facebook account, you can click to "follow" at the bottom of any Khaosod article which is a way to keep up with this issue and other Thailand stories as they are published.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

You know, I NEVER use my real name on my twitter accounts or any socal media at all.
or with anyone I meet in Thailand. Just like Thais do everyday. Nam, May, Noon, Nam... all nick names.
They even use those names in news strories. Suspect know only as "Phon".
I only use my real name at immigration, cellphone, drivers license, hospital, health insurance, bank.
but never my real name as part of a email for anything in Thailand, except for bank and health insurance.

and immigration can bl*w me for my FB account. of course they are going to want the password at somepoint.

As for where I hang out, BarBar Club in Bangkok and Devil's Den in Pattaya. :)
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Confusion Over Controversial New Immigration Form
Sebastien edged up to the counter and handed the form to the immigration officer. A few breaths later, it was accepted despite a lot of unanswered questions.

In recent days alarm has been raised over a new immigration form asking foreigners to provide the government with their bank details and where they hang out online and offline.

An immigration officer working at the building where the document is currently in circulation said Tuesday it is not mandatory to answer every question.

“We definitely need them to fill in as much information as they can,” said the Immigration Bureau’s Phurita Ruangpankaew at the One-Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit located inside Chamchuri Square Building. “But if they don’t want to fill in a space, then [they can] put a dash in the blank space.”

Sebastien, a French national who has been living in the kingdom for 10 years, said this was the first time that he was asked to provide this kind of personal information.

“It’s useless,”said the French national. “Why do they need to know my social media account, my bank account or my parent's names?”

He didn't complete the form.

“I didn’t fill anything and here it is,” he said, showing the permission for an extended stay he had just been granted.

But there seem to be mixed messages regarding the controversial form which went into effect April 4.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 1461064735
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

I remind you that maybe more than 10 years ago we had to write on a paper the name of father and mother and this was fixed into the passport. Immediately going out of immigration I always took it out. What the use ?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Don't remember that.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Rules have changed so many times. Returning to Thailand we had to report within 48 hours. That has also changed.All those stupid new forms are the result of those useless idiots called civil servants.They make a living with taxpayers money and their only vicious pleasure is to make our lives more difficult. This is the sad truth in every country worldwide.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

" result of those useless idiots called civil servants."

That's part of the problem. They're not civil servants but part of the Royal Thai Police who will do as they think fit.
buksida

Post by buksida »

'Intrusive' form irks travellers, expats
The Immigration Bureau has defended its move to ask foreign visitors and expatriates to fill out an elaborate form, including personal and banking details, as they seek visas and meet reporting requirements.

But the bureau said most of the questions on the form -- such as which restaurants and clubs people frequent and which social media they used -- were not mandatory.

Pol Maj Gen Chatchawan Wachirapaneekhun, deputy chief of the bureau, who initiated the idea, said the information, plus an additional picture to be affixed to the form, would be useful for security measures.

The bureau will use the information to ensure the safety of tourists or those who work in Thailand, he said, assuring the details will remain confidential.

The bureau will analyse the data to help their efforts to prevent crimes, adding anyone who feels uncomfortable will not be forced to fill in the detalls.

A source at the bureau said the move is being implemented on a trial basis and was initiated by Pol Maj Gen Chatchawan and approved by Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn Prousoontorn, chief of the bureau. The bureau has since been flooded with complaints by foreigners worried about their safety and privacy, the source said.

The form titled Record of Foreigner Information entered circulation earlier this month. It asks for people's name, age and passport details. But it adds new sections to pre-existing forms, such as listing "all social media used by foreigner" and the names of places the applicant frequents, specifying clubs, restaurants, shops, hospitals and other places.

It also asks for bank account numbers, and information on any vehicle and licence plates of cars or motorcycles the applicant uses.

"I was shocked when I saw the contents of the three-page form I was asked to complete while applying for a re-entry permit at the One-Stop Service Centre at Chamchuri Square," said Chris Wotton, a 27-year-old writer, who has been living in Bangkok since 2012.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ers-expats
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
eatuae

Post by eatuae »

Been following this interesting tired. What I would like to know has as yet anyone been given this form to fill in at Hua Hin immigration?
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Did my latest 90 day run to HH Immi. today - the Big Brother Form was not mentioned....
buksida

Post by buksida »

‘Intrusive’ immigration form now mandatory for foreigners in Phuket
IF you are planning to visit Thailand’s resort province of Phuket, you will now be required to furnish a host of personal information, including banking account and social media details to the nation’s Immigration bureau.

Otherwise, failure to submit applications when entering the province will result in consequences, a Immigration official has warned.

Immigration Bureau’s crime suppression unit Deputy Commissioner Maj Gen Chachaval Vachirapaneegul said the details to be filled in the “Foreign National Information Form”, released last Monday, was now a mandatory requirement.

“If a foreigner doesn’t want to fill in their information by themselves, they will be questioned for our records anyway. If they don’t fill in the form, we will suspect their reason,” Chachaval was quoted as saying in Phuket News.

Apart from social media and account details, the three-page form asks for foreigners’ contact numbers and email addresses, vehicle registration, and places frequented by the foreigner.

In the form, visitors were warned that: “Providing false information to an officer, shall be punishable under the Penal Code.”

According to the paper, the form covers most types of applications for foreigners.

“This form shall be used for making record of information of every alien entering and staying in the Kingdom of Thailand and shall be submit with Notification of residences for Aliens (section 37, 38 of Immigration Act, BE, 2522), or 90-days notification, or Extension of Stays (all purposes), or Re-entry Permits, or in all cases involving alien labors,” the header reads.

However, Chachaval did not confirm whether failure to provide certain information would form a basis for applications to be rejected and clarified that the social media account details was optional. He said all other sections were mandatory.

“We will not force people to provide their social media details,” he said.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/05/ ... on-phuket/
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

buksida wrote:‘Intrusive’ immigration form now mandatory for foreigners in Phuket
Otherwise, failure to submit applications when entering the province will result in consequences, a Immigration official has warned.
What a horribly misleading statement!
“This form shall be used for making record of information of every alien entering and staying in the Kingdom of Thailand and shall be submit with Notification of residences for Aliens (section 37, 38 of Immigration Act, BE, 2522), or 90-days notification, or Extension of Stays (all purposes), or Re-entry Permits, or in all cases involving alien labors,” the header reads.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I honestly don't think they give a damn about retirees, but they think they need more control over ASEAN workers coming into the country and non-ASEAN such as Chinese and Russian tour guides and the like who are abusing the system.

However, it could be a tipping point for some retirees and others who are simply fed up and consider it just another form of abuse and unreasonable control. So, if there is an ulterior motive to thin the ranks of foreigners living here, they may succeed to a degree. Of course, just IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

With this new requirement, it would appear that either the on-line 90 day reporting would be scrapped, or the new expanded information form incorporated into the on-line process. Pete :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There is no way I will give sensitive information (bank accounts) to the authorities. They have a dismal record of protecting personal information. I would take the consequences and if necessary take it to court!!

Unless of course, the immigration department was willing to sign an agreement taking responsibility for any wrong doing on my personal accounts.