Thai Passport for Thai child

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
modelflyer
Novice
Novice

Thai Passport for Thai child

Post by modelflyer »

In the past whilst living in Thailand I had a Thai partner and we produced a son (Note we never married and are no longer together ) My name is on the birth certificate as the father. My ex partner the mother recently went to Bangkok with our son, now aged 12 to apply for a Thai passport for him and has told me this is not possible unless I attend with them which currently is not possible.
On reading the Thai web site mfa.go.th in the sentence
If the applicant was born to parents who did not sign a marriage certificate, only the mother of the applicant can sign the parental consent form. She will need to bring a letter guaranteeing sole guardianship issued by her domicile district office (Por Kor 14) accompanied by her ID Card which must bear the title ‘Miss’.
Anyone had this situation before. Any advice information appreciated
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Passport for Thai child

Post by HHTel »

As far as I'm aware, you have it right. The father has no parental rights when not married to the mother regardless of his name being on the birth certificate. To get those rights he would need to go to court.
I am married to my daughter's mother but I was not required at the passport office when applying for their Thai passports.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not linked to getting a Thai passport but my brother in law had a daughter when not married to his Thai partner. His daughter was issued with a UK passport and they are now both living in the UK having split with his Thai partner.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

UK rules ----- VERY DIFFERENT!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:UK rules ----- VERY DIFFERENT!
His daughter was born in Hua Hin and the passport came from the British Embassy in Bangkok.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not disputing that. The OP was asking about getting a THAI passport. Applying for a UK passport is very different.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:Not disputing that. The OP was asking about getting a THAI passport. Applying for a UK passport is very different.
I realise that my original comment was a bit off topic and said so, but what I was trying to highlight was that even though he was not married to the mother, my b-I-l managed to get his daughter a passport in his name without going to court, so he did have some parental rights.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I also got both my daughters British passports without any input from their mother.

Again, under British law, the father has parental rights but not under Thai law.