Passport now required to use Thai postal service

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Passport now required to use Thai postal service

Post by StevePIraq »

I do not often post mail these days but today I had to post an important document overseas. I went to Market village post office and was very surprised to be required to hand over my passport, I inquired why only to be told the PM had passed a law requiring it and it applies to Thais also, but the can show an ID or driving license, Farang cannot. They pointed to a hand written notice on their desk

I then noticed a gent further along going crazy, it turned out he had driven 17km to post an international letter and they would not accept it as he only had a Thai driving license and a copy of his passport.

Just a warning to be prepared if you are posting mail. I wonder how they handle this if you post in a post box, does a lady jump out and ask for your passport?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Re: Passport now required to use Thai postal service

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, this happened a while back - I'm sure there's another thread somewhere,
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thought it only applied to packages/parcels not letters.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I'm thinking of having a copy of my passport tattooed on my forehead. :idea:

I was paying into a bank (Doing Mrs. T a favour and depositing some of her ill-gotten gains). The buggers wanted to see my passport. I don't usually carry it with me but as I had just done my 90 day report (No extra questions by the way), I had it with me.

Methinks that this country is getting paranoid.................. :banghead:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I sent documents to Gibraltar at the end of March via EMS in MV. Didn't need a passport then so relatively new enforcement of a 'rule'.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Probably just a different clerk behind the desk, with their own interpretation of the rules.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Maybe a 'Hua Hin thing', sent something a few weeks ago EMS to Singapore and didn't need to show anything but the payment!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Well this is not about what happened last week or last month, at EMS or anywhere else. It was is what happened today with a standard registered letter.

My post was merely to let people know you should carry your passport as is required by law.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

It is being applied to Thais too = my wife was surprised she had to show her ID card at the post office by soi 116 to send a small envelope domestically.
toeknee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by toeknee »

Just post letter today to Australia, from the Phi-mai (Korat area), Post Office no problem, different rules different areas ???? TIT
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Many times Thais ask to see my PP I Carry a COPY of the PP face page, That is always accepted
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Terry wrote:Methinks that this country is getting paranoid..................
Getting?!

When you consider the hoops you have to go through in order to obtain a driving license, one of which is providing a valid passport, visa etc. it does seem odd that it's not accepted as an official form of ID.

Oh, sorry, forget where we were for a moment. :roll:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

J.J.B. wrote:
Terry wrote:Methinks that this country is getting paranoid..................
Getting?!

When you consider the hoops you have to go through in order to obtain a driving license, one of which is providing a valid passport, visa etc. it does seem odd that it's not accepted as an official form of ID.

Oh, sorry, forget where we were for a moment. :roll:
It is in some instances, I went to my local Kasikorn Branch on Monday to get the letter for the annual visa renewal confirming funds of more than 800k - the cashier asked for my passport which I had forgotten so I offered her a copy that I had in my wallet or my Thai driving licence - she took the driving licence!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

it is crazy and clearly shows the ruling, whatever it is, has not been passed down with clarity.

I was at Makro yesterday and the sign at the post office said one had to show ID for packages over 2kg to comply with drug control. Wish I had taken a photo. MV have just taken it to the extreme
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

At the new PO near the airport there are notices in Thai and English also stating the purpose of this is for drug control. However there was no mention of weight and I needed ID for a 65 gram package.