New 6 pin chipped ATM cards at Thai banks

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

Re: New 6 pin chipped ATM cards at Thai banks

Post by PeteC »

^The K Bank conversion my wife did as mentioned above required a 6 digit pin. I imagine what most people will do is use the existing 4 and add on 2 more they can easily remember. In any event, I can only speak for K Bank. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There is also the problem of using your 6 digit pin when travelling abroad. Many systems in Europe will only accept 4 digits. Some systems will truncate your 6 digits to 4 but others will not accept a 6 digit pin. Reading some of the advice when travelling to Europe is to change your pin to 4 digits before leaving. ISO 9564 sets the standard as up to 12 digits but few ATM machines will handle this. The reason for the common use of 4 digits was based upon the fact that the wife of the inventor (John Shepherd-Barron) could only remember 4 digits.
Your bank will tell you that 6 digits will work anywhere abroad but that's not true and after all the banks have no liability when you are out of the country.
I would insist on a 4 digit pin which will work anywhere.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

HHTel wrote:Many systems in Europe will only accept 4 digits. Some systems will truncate your 6 digits to 4
I don't see how that could work? As far as I'm aware, the ATM "asks" the card if the PIN is correct, and the card responds with either a pass or fail. If that is indeed the case, I can't see a 6-digit card responding positively to a request with only 4 digits.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I went to K-Bank this morning to change mine as I'm off travelling in a couple of weeks. My card is not in my name but has Privelidged Member as the user name. I can buy things online, shop in Tesco and use the ATM with it. Customer Service chap wanted 250baht for the new card, I explained to him that it's supposed to be issued for free but he insisted that it was 250baht. He then told me that as my existing card is valid until 09/19 I needn't change it yet and can wait until the expiry date.

I decided to carry on with the existing card for another 3 years.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Wake me up when Thailand introduces contactless payment cards, now that would be a laugh!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

J.J.B. wrote:Wake me up when Thailand introduces contactless payment cards, now that would be a laugh!

They already have them and have had for a while.
Wazza
Novice
Novice

Post by Wazza »

long story BUT

Myself and GF have moved to HH for the next 10 months.

Easier to open a new account for her here so I can use internet banking via BKK Bank and no fees - WRONG

Opened the savings account ( next to MV ) and specifically asked for an ATM / Debit Card, plus internet banking. Got the card issued on the spot, ( 300 ) GF went to use it after work and PTT rejected it, walked over to the ATM to get the cash and paid for it.

Back to the bank and saw a different counter staff member, who said , it should be all ok, having checked it, " go and use it again " Tesco Lotus rejected it, paid cash.

Back to the bank again and a new staff member said, she need to have the BKK Bank Titanium Debit / Credit card and deposit 15000 as the offset . No Thanks.

Called the Call centre for advice, they confirmed the original card is incorrect and all other advice was wrong.

Back to the bank again ( 4th visit ) oh you mean an ATM card / Debit Card WTF.

Then then took the old card destroyed it, paid another 100 baht to upgrade ( from their mistake ) and at 1755 hours told the new card will arrive in 7 days and use the bank book at branches ! no ATM access, and working till 1730 hours most days.

I went back to the bank, letter of complaint and cancelled the account. Manager sympathetic, and offered no excuses as too why all 3 of her staff don't know their own products. words like Incompetent were used LOL by myself.

GF went back to SCB in MV next day , and in 30 mins later came out with a new ATM / Debit Card 6 digit PIN and internet banking log on and passwords...
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Only a few weeks ago I refused a Bangkok Bank 'chipped' card opting for the 'tried and tested' card. Have no problems with that both here and abroad. The new 'chipped' cards regardless what they charge do not work on all ATM's and is a real problem if travelling outside the country. INSIST ON THE REGULAR CARD WITH A 4 DIGIT PIN. I've read many stories in the last week regarding these 'new' chipped cards. You can be left 'high and dry' with no access to your cash!!
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Yesterday I went to SCB with my delaminating card and was issued a new chipped ATM card with 6-digit PIN, for no cost. No option to get another "old-fashioned" magnetic-swipe card.

I asked if it were usable in all ATMs, and was advised it was currently good only in SCB, Bangkok Bank and Thanachart ATMs. In July (I forgot to ask in what year :mrgreen:) *all* banks' ATMs would accept it.
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Having read all the above posts, and given my card expires in Jan, I decided to be proactive and went to the main BKK bank branch to ask for a new style card. The lady could not understand why I would want to change my card when my present one works fine and had a blank expression when I explained that I thought I may as well get the new one now. Upshot; essentially " run along little boy, come back next year". Oh well
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Why change now when it is not required until 2019 and the ATM's still work with existing cards until then.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote:Why change now when it is not required until 2019 and the ATM's still work with existing cards until then.
Plus the added comfort in knowing the card will work in other countries.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So does it work in other countries?
Better to wait until they sort out the mistakes first. Just as with software
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You can find lots of stories about people left high and dry trying to use a 6 digit pin in Europe. Thailand is being quite insular here changing their own infrastructure without thought to travelers.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Is it the 6 digits that is causing the problem? i.e. Does Europe use a different number of digits? Or, is it something else about the new card that's incompatible?