New 6 pin chipped ATM cards at Thai banks

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

New 6 pin chipped ATM cards at Thai banks

Post by buksida »

All Thai banks are now urging customers to 'upgrade' their ATM cards to the new ones which are apparently more secure.

Did this yesterday with one of my accounts at K-bank, new card not an upgrade so they charged me 500 baht for it. SCB told me they couldn't upgrade, I had to go back to the branch where I opened the account. :roll:

Tried the new one today at the ATM and it takes twice as long as you're bombarded with ads trying to sell you shit. Is there no escape from ad spam in this country?! :cuss:

Good move on the improved security though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: New 6 pin chipped ATM cards at Thai banks

Post by Ratsima »

Does the one you got work in ATMs that are not yet upgraded to the chip technology?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Would they really do that, roll out a new technology before the entire system was ready for it? Of course the answer is yes, and probably a way to get you to use their bank machines more often than not. :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

I had to get a new atm card last week from K-bank, and I was forced to have a 6 pin card. Refused to give me a 4 pin card.

Odd though that the choice was 350 or 650, no mention of 500.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

bert91157 wrote:I had to get a new atm card last week from K-bank, and I was forced to have a 6 pin card. Refused to give me a 4 pin card.

A cash cow for the banks is a reasonable thought. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Chip bank cards the rule in 2019

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... le-in-2019

Some 60 million magnetic-stripe ATM and debit cards issued by local commercial banks and circulating in the market will be upgraded to chip-embedded cards by the end of 2019, says a senior central bank official.

An estimated 90% of ATMs nationwide will support chip-embedded cards by May 16, but the machines still support magnetic-stripe cards for those who hold only that type, said Tongurai Limpiti, a deputy governor of the Bank of Thailand.

Thailand will emerge as the third county in Asean to have mandatory chip-embedded ATM and debit cards following Malaysia in 2004 and Singapore in 2010.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..................>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phptbimgbAM.jpg
Another one above for your Thai partners to read and digest. A schedule of fees for the new CHIP ATM card listed by bank.

In brief for K Bank, ATM card expired, yes there is a fee to get the new CHIP card. ATM card not expired and you go in to switch to the new CHIP card, no fee.

That's at least how it worked for the wife's card and she has no special account or large balances (unfortunately). :( Pete :cheers:

Facebook sources:

https://web.facebook.com/hotline1213/?fref=ts (See photo section/tab for above attachment)
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

As usual, the situation is horribly confusing. The chart posted by prcscct says that changing to a chip card at Kasikorn if free. But bert91157 reports that he had to pay 650 for it. Or, was that for a new card rather than an upgrade?

(I may be totally wrong here. I had to use a magnifying glass to read the tiny Thai script on that chart.)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ratsima wrote:...I had to use a magnifying glass to read the tiny Thai script on that chart.)
Click on the photo and it should open in a new tab, then click to enlarge. This works on Firefox. Pete :cheers:
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

As big as it gets for me.
screenshot 2016-06-08 at 06.49.41.jpg
screenshot 2016-06-08 at 06.49.41.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Mine was a replacement for the one I lost. I didn't get a proper explanation as to the difference in price, i.e. 350/650. Though I am thinking now that it could have/should have been treated as not expired and been issued free.
buksida

Post by buksida »

bert91157 wrote:I had to get a new atm card last week from K-bank, and I was forced to have a 6 pin card. Refused to give me a 4 pin card.

Mine was a new card, not a replacement, no mention of the other two prices, gotta love the consistency of things here!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

I've been living on borrowed time with my SCB ATM card:

The plastic laminate on both sides of the card has been flapping loose for a little while now, but I keep forgetting to take my bank book with me to get a new card. Wonder if I'll be "upgraded" to the new chip card and, if so, will be charged for it?

I was surprised to see that the black magnetic strip is part of the laminate, and not the plastic card itself.

When folks talk about "6 pin" and "4 pin," does that mean a 6-digit/4-digit PIN number, or something else?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

6 pin means 6 digits and something you just have to remember.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Some months back I was offered a 'chipped' ATM at Bangkok Bank only to be told that they can only be used in Bangkok Bank machines. I declined and chose to wait a week for one of the old cards which can be used in all ATM's. I enquired wheher I would have to change mny PIN number and was told "NO". Not sure where this '6 digit PIN' came from but as far as I know, it's complete BS. My cards in the UK have been 'chipped' for some time but my PIN doesn't change. I know people here who have opted for the 'chipped' card and there is no change to their PIN.

Where has all this come from?