One way Ticket and Visa Non-OA (Extension of stay based on retirement).

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Bon
Novice
Novice

One way Ticket and Visa Non-OA (Extension of stay based on retirement).

Post by Bon »

Hi.
Is it lawful / legal to fly into Thailand with a one way ticket, when you are holder of a valid Visa Non-OA (Extension of stay based on retirement), without having problems with the airline or the Thai immigration authorities ?

Is there anyone who can refer to relevant laws, regulations, immigration officials, embassy etc.

Bon.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: One way Ticket and Visa Non-OA (Extension of stay based on retirement).

Post by Dannie Boy »

I can't remember arriving with just a one way ticket, but I've arrived on a return ticket so no outward journey booked, many times and never had a problem. Not sure what the written rules are.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

When I came to live in Thailand I arrived on a One Way Ticket and a Retirement Visa. Can't imagine why it would be a problem.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I arrived on a exempt visa (30 days) and a one way ticket, and extended to 60. While at immigration I asked if it would be a problem getting my retirement visa since I had seen signs that one needed a return ticket to get a tourist visa. I was told "no problem"
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

This is a very good question, I think the issue may not arise on entering of Thailand with a visa, but no onward air ticket as immigration very rarely ask to see onward flight details, the problem may arise when you try to board the plane on your departure.

Although the airline has sold you a one way ticket, they are legally bound to repatriate you at there expense if you are refused entry into Thailand for some reason.

Why not contact you local Thai Embassy and ask their take on this issue.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When we moved to Thailand, I had the same worries. I was to to check with the airline, as it would be them who denied passage, not Immigration.

[Edit] I contacted the airline by e-mail so that I would have written evidence from the airline if the check in clerk had other ideas.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

In 2013 I arrived on a one way ticket and retirement visa. No problems, I don't think anyone at the airlines or immigration asked anything about a return ticket. By all means, check into it if you are worried, but it worked fine for me.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I arrive every time with a one way ticket, there is no problem.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As long as you have a visa there is no requirement to show proof of onward or return travel.
However, the airlines have to ship you back at their expense if you're refused entry for whatever reason.
So, the check in staff can and do ask questions sometimes.
MareeT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MareeT »

Agree with previous posters, we have never had a return ticket; however, we were questioned at Darwin Internatiinal one time and we showed them our 'extension of stay - based on retirement and It was referred it to a senior staff member who agreed that we didn't require a return ticket.

All the same it might be prudent to contact the airline to ensure everything is fine.

Cheers Maree.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote:As long as you have a visa there is no requirement to show proof of onward or return travel.
However, the airlines have to ship you back at their expense if you're refused entry for whatever reason.
So, the check in staff can and do ask questions sometimes.
Also as BB mentioned - I think the major issue is that the airline can and will refuse passage if they deem fit. I've had these questions on many occasions whilst travelling for business or to China where I lived previously.

I would agree with others that the point of contact/confirmation should be the airline rather than Thai Immigration if you already have the visa.

Best of luck and happy travels! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.