Retirement extension 800k - Where?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
dpd2
Rookie
Rookie

Retirement extension 800k - Where?

Post by dpd2 »

I have had a search through information but can't find an answer, I hope I am not repeating the same questions for the millionth time - apologies in advance if there is an answer already.

I hope that someone may be able to clarify a couple of questions for me. I intend to move permanently to HH at the end of the year and apply for the retirement extension after arrival. I already have an account in Bangkok with the prerequisite 800k in it.

My first question is - as I will be living in HH and hopefully be able to apply at HH immigration office (or nearest one anyway), does it matter that my money is in Bangkok rather than HH?

Question 2 is - to apply for the retirement extension after I arrive in HH do I NEED to come in on a non imm visa or could I just as easily apply for it if I came in on a ordinary 30 day tourist visa? I am a bit flummoxed at the minute as I am getting different stories from different people at the local Thai Embassy outside of Thailand and different again from the agent that my company sometimes uses for Asian visas. We currently live and work outside of our home country (UK) so cannot get an OA visa from the embassy in Singapore.

Many thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Retirement extension 800k - Where?

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Quick reply

1. Don't think that it matters that your bank is in bkk, however when you need your letter to confirm you have the money you may need to travel to your Bangkok bank to get this.

2. unsure. But I don't think you can convert a tourist visa into a non imm visa here.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Either a 30 day visa exempt stamp or tourist visa can be upgraded to a Non O.
However, you must have at least 15 days left on your permitted to stay. You will also have to prove your savings twice, once when you upgrade and once again when you do the annual extension. You do the extension within the last 30 days of the 90 you will get with the Non O visa.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

My first question is - as I will be living in HH and hopefully be able to apply at HH immigration office (or nearest one anyway), does it matter that my money is in Bangkok rather than HH?
As Jimmy has posted. My Bank is in Bangkok and my Immigration is done in Hua Hin. Never a problem, but the letter from the bank is only good for 7 days.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Regarding the bank letter, my letter for my first extension was issued by a branch of Kasikorn, which was not my branch.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

"We currently live and work outside of our home country (UK) so cannot get an OA visa from the embassy in Singapore." - When I got my OA visa I was living and working in Abu Dhabi and got my visa from the Thai Embassy there, so you should be able to do similar in Singapore.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote:"We currently live and work outside of our home country (UK) so cannot get an OA visa from the embassy in Singapore." - When I got my OA visa I was living and working in Abu Dhabi and got my visa from the Thai Embassy there, so you should be able to do similar in Singapore.
Yes, because to work in Abu Dhabi you have to have a residence visa. The Thai requirement reads "country of residence".
In Singapore you can get a work permit without being a resident.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dpd2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dpd2 »

Thanks so much for your reply everyone. My account is with Kasikorn Big Boy so it may be a possibility but sounds as though worst case is a trip to Bangkok. I wish we could Dannie Boy but we have been told a definite no unless we were Singaporean or Singapore Permanent Residents (neither of which applies). They told us that we could only get an O, single entry visa. It drives me crazy that rules are applied/interpreted in completely different ways around the world. Thanks again
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - they are interpreted differently from desk to desk at immigration :D

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Actually, getting a multi entry O visa has become increasingly difficult to get world wide. There are still places where you can get them but unfortunately Singapore isn't one and generally, from what I've read, the Embassy there isn't the easiest to deal with - unless you're Singaporean.
But if you're looking to retire here and already have your savings seasoned (the 800K THB has to have been in the bank for 3 months before extension application and not dropped below that figure), then a single entry O visa is all you need. Just apply for the extension within the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.
The retirement extension process is really painless and as long as you have all the correct paperwork dosn't usually take more than 30 minutes.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

dpd2 wrote:Thanks so much for your reply everyone. My account is with Kasikorn Big Boy so it may be a possibility but sounds as though worst case is a trip to Bangkok.
I did my annual retirement visa renewal earlier this week. My Krungsri account is located in Bangkok.
Went to Hua Hin branch Where I made 1 transaction and updated passbook. Bank provided a letter confirming balance, which was ready and signed in about 10 minutes. Went to HH immigration and whole process was completed fairly quickly. Definitely no problem with letter from local branch confirming funds in Bangkok account in this instance.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomu, I've read on here numerous times that it is possible to convert a 30 day exemption into a long stay visa. Is this no longer the case please?

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's still convertible as mentioned in my first post above.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote:It's still convertible as mentioned in my first post above.
:oops: Missed that :thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

You all should feel privileged to be working with Hua Hin Immigration. I just did my annual Retirement Visa renewal this week down here in Nakon Si Thammarat (a 90km drive south for me) and they never cease to amaze what they can throw at you. Extra requirements down here of picture of you and wife inside and outside of home, copy of every page of your passport, letter from bank was not stamped on List of Transactions" page and they almost made me go back to bank to get it. Had to fill out some more forms never before seen with one requiring yet another copy of the passport pages. Also reminded me that's I had to check in with immigration 48 hours after returning from outside the country (never before mentioned this--which I NEVER and won't do). Has to have copy of wife's blue book for house along with copy of her ID card.

My dealings with Hua Hin Immigration were always quite simple and quick when I lived there. Even Immigration in Surat Thani (closer by to us) is like Hua Hin. Some of these districts can be power hungry with so little to do but to harass farangs and smile while doing it.