60 day tourist visa questions/changes

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

60 day tourist visa questions/changes

Post by uncle tom »

For the last three years I've gone down the lazy route of getting three consecutive 30 day 'on arrival' stamps for my winter trip, flitting off for a couple of short breaks out of the country and then re-entering.

This season I would prefer to get a proper visa, so I can get a 60 day stamp, make one trip out and then get another 60 day on re-entering. I did this four and five years ago.

Reading up the Thai embassy site to remind myself of the process, it looks like I need an 'O-A' as I'm over 50, but on the list of requirements there are things that I can't recall needing previously, such as a letter of acceptance, medical check and criminal record check.

Trying to recall what I did years ago, I vaguely remember needing simply to complete a form or two and then mail it off to Hull with my passport, some wonga and a couple of photos.

Have things got more difficult, or is the website listing things that might be demanded, but in practice aren't?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
lomuamart

Re: 60 day tourist visa questions

Post by lomuamart »

The tourist and OA visas are two totally different animals. The OA is for people who want to stay for a long time and will give a year's permission to stay on entry. As you say, a health check and police report are among the requirements to get one.
For your length of stay, the OA isn't really applicable so just get a tourist visa. However, these have changed since you last had one. It sounds like you had a double entry TV before which would have allowed two entries of 60 days, both of which could have been extended by a further 30 days at Imm. Nowadays, there are only single entry and multiple entry TVs. (No double or triple entries any more).
Either would suit a 120 day visa. The single entry would give 60 days + 30 days extension (easy to get, cost 1,900 THB) and then just get a further 30 day visa exempt stamp by exiting and re-entering the country. The multi entry allows you to exit and enter as many times as you want as long as the visa remains valid (6 months from the date it's put in your passport) and you'll get a 60 days entry each time you re-enter. This obviously gives you more flexibility with your movements.
Note that with the single entry, if you exit at any point during the 60+30 day period, you'll need a re-entry permit from Imm to keep your permitted to stay date alive. Again, easy to get (1,000 for one re-entry, 3,800 for multiple).
You'll need to look at the Embassy site to check what other requirements are necessary (possibly financial proofs), especially for the multi entry TV.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Thanks for clarifying that.

I had thought about making a trip away at Maccha Buddha, which is exactly half way through my 80 day tour this winter, but as the multi entry tourist is £100 dearer than the single entry, I'll probably suffer a night of closed bars instead!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

When I see you around town, I'll tell you of some places that will stay open ;-)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Thanks - there have been some good private parties on that night in the past, but last year, nothing gelled..
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Requirements for a 60 day Tourist Visa from Australia have recently changed.

You now also need to :

Provide proof that you have at least $800.00 in your bank account.

AND

Evidence of accommodation. Either hotel booking or an invitation from a Thai citizen to stay in their residence.

It will be interesting to see how long this requirement lasts. I can see huge problems for Consulate and Embassy staff as they send people away to get these extra details. They probably would not bother except by that, time they would have already purchased their tickets.

A real pain!
You only live once.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

On the subject of bank accounts, when one needs to provide evidence of sufficient funds, does it have to be a regular bank account, or will an ISA statement (or similar) suffice?
buksida

Post by buksida »

ozuncle wrote:Requirements for a 60 day Tourist Visa from Australia have recently changed.

You now also need to :

Provide proof that you have at least $800.00 in your bank account.

AND

Evidence of accommodation. Either hotel booking or an invitation from a Thai citizen to stay in their residence.

It will be interesting to see how long this requirement lasts. I can see huge problems for Consulate and Embassy staff as they send people away to get these extra details. They probably would not bother except by that, time they would have already purchased their tickets.

A real pain!
Can confirm that is now the case for the UK also, 5,000 GBP in the bank and a letter proving employment status is required before they'll issue one there.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

buksida wrote:Can confirm that is now the case for the UK also, 5,000 GBP in the bank and a letter proving employment status is required
Really £5,000 ????!!!!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: 60 day tourist visa questions/changes

Post by hhinner »

^^ GBP5000 is for multiple entry tourist visa. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401