clarity on getting 30 day extension, while staying at friends house

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Mr-Zedd

clarity on getting 30 day extension, while staying at friends house

Post by Mr-Zedd »

Hello,

I have returned back to Hua Hin earlier this month, and plan to stay for 2 months. I have the typical 30 day entry stamp (Canada passport). I am staying at a Thai friends house, and I recently read on this forum (Nov 11th, Nov 11, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33443) that in order to get a 30 day extension at the Hua Hin immigration office I need to get a letter or copies of ID / yellow book(?) from the house owner?

Since I arrived in BKK, I put a BKK Guest House there as my place to stay, but of course I have since moved on to Hua Hin.

I have not asked my house friend to register me when I arrived here 2 weeks ago as I simply didnt know that rule existed. As long as you dont need an extension I guess it doesnt really matter.

So can someone clarify what is the process? Do I need to bring a special form with me before I can get the extension? Or do I need the owner to provide me with a letter saying I am staying at their house (and get copies of house book ID, etc). Or, does the owner need to go with me to immigration?

Reading the other Topic listed it sounds like you have to report your arrival to a friends house within 24hrs, but I obviously didnt do that.

Any suggestions would be welcome. (I have until Jan 31st to get extended).

Thanks!
Big Boy

Re: clarity on getting 30 day extension, while staying at friends house

Post by Big Boy »

Firstly, they won't know when you arrived, so just say that you've just arrived.

The form is the TM30, which can be downloaded here http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/en/ ... e=download .

You will see that it is the home owner's responsibility.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

"I have not asked my house friend to register me when I arrived here 2 weeks ago as I simply didnt know that rule existed. As long as you dont need an extension I guess it doesnt really matter."

Actually it does matter, Immigration are now checking against where you have identified as your residence and if you are not staying there they give a fine, how they give a fine if they don't see you I don't know.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But surely, the fine is given to the owner, not the person visiting I would think. Basically, the average visitor to Thailand wouldn't have a clue about the Big Brother rules that apply.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So you would guess but what if the guest gave a false address then it is not the owners fault
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by artyoz »

I went and got my 60 day tourist visa extended by 30 days on Fri. I filled in the TM7 form which included my address where I stay in HH. Take your passport, a passport size photo with the form and 1900b. I was not asked to clarify any of the details on the form. Just make sure you see the lady at the end of the outside Veranda for photo copying and brief check before you go inside.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Some months back I arrived back here from a trip and didn't go and report for three weeks. They calculated something and I had to pay a 300 Baht penalty, perhaps 100 Baht per week? I would think meant for the wife as home owner but she wasn't there. No motivation to try to get the late scale out of them. This was in Rayong. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Mr-Zedd

Post by Mr-Zedd »

Thanks everyone for your ideas, and badboy for the TM30 form link. Appreciate it.

So in summary:
1) I will get my friend to fill out the TM30 form and bring it to immigration in the next day or so saying I just arrived in Hua Hin 24hrs ago.

2) when I go to get extended (Jan 31st) I will fill out the TM7 form and apply for the "extension of temporary stay" using my friends house as my location

Is this correct?

Cheers!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Mr-Zedd wrote:Thanks everyone for your ideas, and badboy for the TM30 form link. Appreciate it.

So in summary:
1) I will get my friend to fill out the TM30 form and bring it to immigration in the next day or so saying I just arrived in Hua Hin 24hrs ago.

2) when I go to get extended (Jan 31st) I will fill out the TM7 form and apply for the "extension of temporary stay" using my friends house as my location

Is this correct?

Cheers!
I'm sure the above was a genuine mistake, but maybe we can have some fun with it :naughty:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Freudian slip methinks :thumb:

Sounds about right. Friend will need Blue Book.

Points 41; Position 18
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

We were able to Register my friend and do his 30day extension at the same time... 1 trip to immigration and done.... They were easy to deal with on this....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Mr-Zedd

Post by Mr-Zedd »

"Freudian slip methinks"
- a combo of not paying attention to details, bad typing (via one finger hen pecking), and probably watching YouTube at the same time...
- thats my excuse anyway

Although when you think about it, "Bad Boy" and "Big Boy" might be long lost cousins :)
Mr-Zedd

Post by Mr-Zedd »

Thanks for everyone's help on this, my friend is coming over today to fill the forms and bring them to immigration

cheers!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Go to the Investigations Portakabin, and you'll be dealt with immediately.

Points 41; Position 18
Mr-Zedd

Post by Mr-Zedd »

Yes everything went well. My friend was able to submit the TM30 form. I have a copy of the "Notification of Receipt" with my name on it. I will go for my extension next week. Hopefully that will go as smoothly as well.

Cheers!