South African Permanent Residency

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

South African Permanent Residency

Post by StevePIraq »

Not sure if anyone here can help with this question. I need to clarify this for a potential employment contract.

I gained South African Permanent Residency in 1983 and left SA in 1998 and have not returned since, I had one period of 4 years out of SA during that period and when I returned I had no problems.

One web site I have checked states the residency expires if absent for 7 years another site states 3 years, even if 7 years my residency would have expired.I have my residence certificate and my ID number but not the old ID book.

The big problem with SA these days is it is extremely difficult and very expensive for companies to employ expats so they need someone who already has the right to work in SA.

Has my residency expired?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: South African Permanent Residency

Post by Takiap »

Hi mate

Have you tried emailing the SA embassy in Bangkok? Maybe they can provide an accurate answer. I'm from SA (Cape Town) but left in December 1995 for a one-year jollie around Europe, and now, nearly 20 years later, I'm still on my one-year jollie, having only returned to SA twice for a visit in 2000. My guess is a lot has changed in terms of the law and etc.

My last job there was offshore, so on arrival in Scotland, I was able to get offshore almost immediately, which in turn funded my travels elsewhere, eventually leading me to Thailand.

As with Thailand, the implementation of laws in SA can sometimes be a bit of a gamble, or so I have been told. A mate of mine took his Thai-born kids across with him for a visit and was expecting a lot of red tape, based on what he had read and been told, but on arrival, it was plain sailing with no questions asked.

As a matter of interest, are you hoping to work offshore over there?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Hi Takiap,
Good tip, I will definitely contact the SA embassy.

If I go I will not be going offshore, I am in the Power Industry and would be going to Nigel just 50km from Joburg, not exactly Los Vegas but money talks.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

StevePIraq wrote:Hi Takiap,
Good tip, I will definitely contact the SA embassy.

If I go I will not be going offshore, I am in the Power Industry and would be going to Nigel just 50km from Joburg, not exactly Los Vegas but money talks.

Very true, but there are worse places over there, and like you say, money talks.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

so it is no way, my residency is confirmed as expired after 3 years abscence, the old rule was 7 years. Job gone :cry: