30 day visa exemption stamp clampdown at airport

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

30 day visa exemption stamp clampdown at airport

Post by buksida »

A friend who was staying on a 30 day stamp returned yesterday after a short trip to KL. He flew back in to Swampy expecting to get another 30 days as this was his first one.

He was stopped at immigration and told that you now have to go to the visa on arrival section and pay for the next 30 days. There are new posters at the airport explaining this and it only applies to certain passport holders (he was travelling on a UK passport).

Just a heads up for anyone thinking a short trip out will get you another 30 days automatically on flying back - it wont.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: 30 day visa exemption stamp clampdown at airport

Post by Big Boy »

I guessed that this might happen after last year's announcement, and I have advised any visitors intending to leave the Kingdom for any reason to arrive on a tourist visa (which is free at the moment anyway). Friends are currently in Cambodia, so hopefully, won't have any problem when they come back.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I thought the free tourist visas were only available to certain countries.

My guess is that they'll completely scrap the 30 day exemption stamp and make everyone get visas, that way there is more paperwork and information for every visitor.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

UK was included in that list, and friends definitely got their free visas (for a £10 consulate fee - thank you lomu :D ).

You will see that I wrote on your previous thread, "Just read the list - so is UK excluded this time?" Nobody answered, so I'm not sure. However, visas were still free in the UK during January.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm pretty sure that all the countries that were getting free TVs are still getting them with the extension of time.