Spouse/family visa from an ED visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Spouse/family visa from an ED visa

Post by Wagner » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 pm


I am planning on going to study Thai and obtaining the ED visa. Is it possible to or has anyone personally obtained a visa for their spouse when they are on an ED visa?
We already reached out to a couple schools in Hua Hin and was told by one of them that my son could be my dependent but my wife would HAVE to get an ED visa as well.
We are trying to avoid the cost of the ED visa if possible since the process through the school costs 15.000 baht / CAD$600, compared to CAD$200 for a multiple entry non-immigrant visa (400 dollar savings)

From the Canadian Thai embassy we found the following explanations under non-immigrant visas:
- to study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour , to participate in projects or seminars , to attend a conference or training course , to study as a foreign Buddhist monk (Category "ED")
- other activities (Category "O") as follows:
to stay with the family, to perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

Which leads me to think that yes, she could also come as my dependent for 90 days and later extend her visa along with mine. However, I have read information that says that this is only for people visiting Thai family.

We really appreciate any insight but would really want to know a more concrete answer, so we don't end up having to do VISA runs every 3 months with a toddler, or worse, my wife having to go by herself.

Thank you very much for the attention.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests