Police Clearance Certificate

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Police Clearance Certificate

Post by Vital Spark »

I thought that I'd put this in the 'legal' bit, as it's up-to-date information. When I searched on the net there was a lot of conflicting information, and lawyers wanting to charge a lot of money for a very simple process.

We went on Friday to apply for a Police Clearance Certificate, and it was both easy and a lot of fun. The office is relatively easy to find in a myriad of police buildings. If you get lost, just ask one of the friendly policemen.

Documents needed: one copy of your passport (ID page and visa page), one copy of your work permit (all pages with something written on them)

When we arrived they asked if we needed it for Thailand or abroad. We said England - I guess that's so that the document is in English. You are wonderfully guided through the process of filling in the application form with instructions in English and a smiling helping hand at your side. Then to the fingerprint man, then to the photo lady. After that you're gently led to the payment man - 100 baht each. Then to another lady who checks your documents and gives you a date for collection (ours was 2nd August). Too late for us as we'd be in the UK, so off to the envelope man. We addressed a couple of envelopes and parted with 50 baht each for postage.

The whole process took around 40 minutes and was efficient and friendly.

Here's a map of where to go:
Police Clearance Centre Bangkok.png
Police Clearance Centre Bangkok.png (133.36 KiB) Viewed 4202 times

VS
(Mods: Maybe this should be a sticky so that it doesn't get lost...)
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
PeteC

Re: Police Clearance Certificate

Post by PeteC »

Do returning UK citizens need a certificate VS? A bit puzzled about that. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

My experience from the Thai Police was much different and far less satisfactory. They insisted I provide a contract of employment overseas which I could not get until I submitted a police clearance. Thai police would issue a country specific clearance certificate and I needed it for three countries so I would need three certificates. VS it must have been your charm that made it so easy.

If you have a UK address, passport, driving licence etc. then you can get a UK police clearance even if you have not been in the UK for years. I got one earlier this year. I applied on line and it was posted to me in Thailand from Disclosure Scotland, and it is not country specific as the Thai clearance is. Could not be easier and did not need to leave my house. It was accepted by all three countries I needed it for.
https://www.mygov.scot/basic-disclosure ... isclosure/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 pm Do returning UK citizens need a certificate VS? A bit puzzled about that. Pete :cheers:
No, we don't. But if we want to do any job related to teaching/invigilating then it might be useful. We're just covering any potential requirements while we're here. It was easy, and we knew that we needed to do it while we had current work permits with our present employers.

Steve: I totally agree about getting a disclosure from the UK Government. We can do that quite easily when we're there. It's just another piece of paperwork that could be useful (and was cheap). :wink:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Vital Spark wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm I thought that I'd put this in the 'legal' bit, as it's up-to-date information. When I searched on the net there was a lot of conflicting information, and lawyers wanting to charge a lot of money for a very simple process.

We went on Friday to apply for a Police Clearance Certificate, and it was both easy and a lot of fun. The office is relatively easy to find in a myriad of police buildings. If you get lost, just ask one of the friendly policemen.

Documents needed: one copy of your passport (ID page and visa page), one copy of your work permit (all pages with something written on them)

When we arrived they asked if we needed it for Thailand or abroad. We said England - I guess that's so that the document is in English. You are wonderfully guided through the process of filling in the application form with instructions in English and a smiling helping hand at your side. Then to the fingerprint man, then to the photo lady. After that you're gently led to the payment man - 100 baht each. Then to another lady who checks your documents and gives you a date for collection (ours was 2nd August). Too late for us as we'd be in the UK, so off to the envelope man. We addressed a couple of envelopes and parted with 50 baht each for postage.

The whole process took around 40 minutes and was efficient and friendly.

Here's a map of where to go:
Police Clearance Centre Bangkok.png

VS
(Mods: Maybe this should be a sticky so that it doesn't get lost...)
On the official requirements document it asked for certified coy of passport and entry stamp page. Did you need to get that done or were the copies they took adequate?
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I’m confused, why would anyone need a “Police Clearance Certificate” ? What is it used for ?
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Scout wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:25 pm I’m confused, why would anyone need a “Police Clearance Certificate” ? What is it used for ?
In my case its for a job assignment VISA in an African country.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

HHCanuck wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm On the official requirements document it asked for certified coy of passport and entry stamp page. Did you need to get that done or were the copies they took adequate?
The US Embassy document on the Thai police cert states "Passport with one photocopy". I had a copy of my passport certified by the US Embassy that I needed for a different purpose. For the Thai police cert I offered, and the clerk at station 1 kept copies of: data page, stamp of original visa transferred to this passport, current annual renewal, most recent entry stamp. I brought the certified copy as a backup in case I needed it. This happened last Nov.

https//photos.state.gov/libraries/thail ... cecert.pdf
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Scout wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:25 pm I’m confused, why would anyone need a “Police Clearance Certificate” ? What is it used for ?
For a visa. They also wanted an FBI background check.