Certified Translations

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Certified Translations

Post by lomuamart »

I know this topic has come up before but I'd just like to check where people would suggest I get some official Thai documents translated into English.
These are for my wife's birth and our marriage certificates. I just need to get them off to the pension company so she's covered for her widow's pension when I shuffle off my mortal coil. The pension company need certified translations.
I used Sirada years ago when we got married but I'm sure that was to get the UK Embassy Affirmation of Freedom to Marry translated into Thai. Obviously, this is the other way round.
Any pointers would be welcome.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Certified Translations

Post by HHTel »

It's important to be aware of whether a 'certified translation' is needed or a 'notarised' one. Both are different. It depends upon the requirements of the 'requester'.

Srirada can do certified translations at a reasonable price whereas to be notarised requires a registered notary which many lawyers are.

I've used Srirada for certified translations. There is a lawyer opposite who is a notary but they really know how to charge. To be notarised, it's not uncommon to be charged 1,000 baht per document.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I think you need to find out what is acceptable to the recipient. I reflect back to when I obtained my Yellow Book. My inspiration was the ease with which buksida obtained his Yellow Book, albeit in Bang Saphan. He actually obtained his translations in Hua Hin, which were acceptable. I followed the same route to obtain my Yellow Book and used the same translation service a few weeks later. Nothing was acceptable - money wasted.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Fair comments. I've mentioned a certified translation to my pension provider and they seem happy with that.
If they are not then hopefully I won't keel over any time soon and can get a notarised one.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In that case, I think Sirada are as good as any.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

A Srirada certified translation was good enough for Immigration when I presented one earlier this year.

There is a lawyer in the parade of shops in Makro car park on Petchkasem Road that has a notary public attend on some days, price seems reasonable (I can't recall how much though, maybe THB 500?).
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for the reply. I'll give Sirada a try first.