Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 7415
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by Nereus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:38 pm

HarryVardon wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:54 pm
I don't quite understand how this can work. I have never used it. I have money in my bank. I go to the bank and ask for a letter of proof which costs me 100 Baht. When I show this letter to immigration they always want to see my bank book which has to show that the money has been there for three months and they insist that the bank book has been updated within the last couple of days to show that the money is still there.
Well, there is at least one other honest poster on here! Thank you. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

dundrillin
Guru
Guru
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 am
Location: huahin

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by dundrillin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:00 pm

I agree . At immigration they examined my bank statement closely. It’s not a hassle if that’s the rules fair enough. It’s only a matter of time before they require proof of medical insurance in my opinion. That will be problematic for those with a dodgy medical history, possibly in that scenario they will be required to deposit a substantial bond. If that happens they can blame the many individuals who do not pay their medical bills.

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by oakdale160 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:13 pm

I made a mistake one time--went to bank got a bank letter. Then went to ATM drew out 5000b stupidly updated bank book. Went to IMM and bank book and letter showed 5000 difference--so back to bank get a new letter. Another day in my life wasted.

T.O.M.
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by T.O.M. » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:21 pm

dundrillin wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:00 pm
I agree . At immigration they examined my bank statement closely. It’s not a hassle if that’s the rules fair enough. It’s only a matter of time before they require proof of medical insurance in my opinion. That will be problematic for those with a dodgy medical history, possibly in that scenario they will be required to deposit a substantial bond. If that happens they can blame the many individuals who do not pay their medical bills.
As for the many individuals not paying their medical bills = Thai xenophobic propaganda.
In 2015 2.81 million foreigners visited Thai hospitals and contributed around 150 billion bath to the Thai economy...Sure the kingdom will survive if a small percentage not pay their bills...

The solution: Every traveler to Thailand pays a fee of 100 baht (with their ticket) to a fund for situations, where an traveler not can pay his way.
With 35 million tourists yearly, the fund will receive 3.5 billion baht per year.....Enough to cover the above expenses and Thai officials with sticky fingers... :duck: :duck:

dundrillin
Guru
Guru
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 am
Location: huahin

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by dundrillin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 pm

So tourists pay for uninsured ex-pats?

MDMK
Guru
Guru
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by MDMK » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:47 pm

That's the best idea I have heard yet to make even more people stop taking out insurance. Just tell them that everyone pays 100 baht at point of entry into a fund to cover those not insured. Yeahhhh what a saving, not need to insure, they have a fund to cover those not insured. I think there might be a tiny flaw in your plan T.O.M, like human behaviour :mrgreen:

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 9231
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by caller » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:47 pm

dundrillin wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 pm
So tourists pay for uninsured ex-pats?
Sounds a good deal to me! :D
Talk is cheap

handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1387
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by handdrummer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:01 am

If you have a retirement visa none of that applies. I just show my US embassy form that says I have the minimum required monthly income (as stated by me) and they give me another year.

SteveP, there is a minimum. $2000US month.

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by oakdale160 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:13 am

Do you remember years ago they used to have machines at airports that sold flight insurance--- pay a little and your family picks up a big check if the plane goes down, of course, the family have to know about the policy
So what about machines at the airport before immigration that sell not 100b policy but perhaps 1000b policy.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32874
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by Big Boy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:30 am

:banghead: This thread is about borrowing money to obtain visas.

What on earth has it to do with vending machines selling insurance?

:offtopic:
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3007
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by Homer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:45 am

handdrummer wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:01 am
If you have a retirement visa none of that applies. I just show my US embassy form that says I have the minimum required monthly income (as stated by me) and they give me another year.

SteveP, there is a minimum. $2000US month.
65,000 b a month. Upon handing your income affidavit to the immigration officer, he converts USD to THB.

T.O.M.
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by T.O.M. » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:51 am

MDMK wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:47 pm
That's the best idea I have heard yet to make even more people stop taking out insurance. Just tell them that everyone pays 100 baht at point of entry into a fund to cover those not insured. Yeahhhh what a saving, not need to insure, they have a fund to cover those not insured. I think there might be a tiny flaw in your plan T.O.M, like human behaviour :mrgreen:
Of course the expats not able to pay their hospital bills will have their visa cancelled...and will not be allowed to re enter Thailand before their debt to the fund is settled.
Same for tourists....uninsured, have to use the fund to pay their health-care provider =banned from re entering before their debt is settled.
Those rules will probably make sure that even more travelers make sure, that they have insurance.
The idea with the fund is NOT to protect uninsured foreigners...but to make sure the the local hospitals get paid for their services.
Win/win...

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by StevePIraq » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:49 pm

T.O.M can you stick to topic or open another thread.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by StevePIraq » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

HarryVardon wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:54 pm
I don't quite understand how this can work. I have never used it. I have money in my bank. I go to the bank and ask for a letter of proof which costs me 100 Baht. When I show this letter to immigration they always want to see my bank book which has to show that the money has been there for three months and they insist that the bank book has been updated within the last couple of days to show that the money is still there.
It is simple, the people doing the lending and processing with banks and immigraton know the right people so documents are not required.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests