Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
User avatar
huahin4ever
Guru
Guru
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:07 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by huahin4ever » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Maybe if people cannot afford having the required money stated by Immigration rules, they should stay home? As someone mentioned above, there are enough unwanted "elements" here in Thailand that makes life more painful and difficult for us wanting to follow the laws and requirements. It gives foreigners a bad reputation to be honest, IMHO!
YNWA

User avatar
laphanphon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:15 am
Location: PKK

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by laphanphon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 am

+1 on that.

Guessing also, not having any health insurance or an emergency fund for an oops.

Not a good idea, when can have the safety net of your home country.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Mark Twain

Thank God for Atheists

handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by handdrummer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 am

Has anyone posting here been adversely affected by someone else not following the financial/visa rules or any other rules or laws?

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32850
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by Big Boy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:34 am

handdrummer wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 am
Has anyone posting here been adversely affected by someone else not following the financial/visa rules or any other rules or laws?
I would think that is everybody who obeying the rules. The reason the authorities are constantly clamping down/tightening up on the regulations is because people are regularly abusing the system, and feel it's their right to do so.
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by handdrummer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Big Boy wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:34 am
handdrummer wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 am
Has anyone posting here been adversely affected by someone else not following the financial/visa rules or any other rules or laws?
I would think that is everybody who obeying the rules. The reason the authorities are constantly clamping down/tightening up on the regulations is because people are regularly abusing the system, and feel it's their right to do so.
I can't think of an instance when someone else disobeying the rules has affected me. If I disobey that's a different story. Maybe it was different here years ago. I've been here only 5 yrs. and every year I do the same thing to renew my visa. The stupidity of 90 day reporting with a 1 yr. visa is a different issue.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32850
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by Big Boy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:33 pm

I disagree, every extra hoop we're made to jump through is usually brought about by those who are disobeying the rules. However, that's another discussion. This one is about borrowing money to beat the system.

:offtopic:
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

lomuamart
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9438
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:25 pm
Location: hua hin

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by lomuamart » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Years ago, it was quite "common practice" for people to borrow money to make the financial savings requirements and then immediately pay back.
Of course, I don't know exactly how widespread it was but it was a well known loophole in the regulations that could be used if necessary. Imm aren't daft and could have seen on a person's passbook that this was happening. Hence, a number of years ago, the three month seasoning rule came in, I suppose on the premise that lenders would be less likely to lend for that length of time.
Now, that might well have adversely affected some people who either didn't want or couldn't tie up that amount of money for so long - legitimately.
I'm just saying that the seasoning laws came into effect as a direct consequence of this lending. Obviously, it still happens so what new regulations might be brought into effect when the authorities decide that the 3 month rule isn't adequate?

User avatar
Aussie69
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:55 am

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by Aussie69 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm


Big Boy wrote:I disagree, every extra hoop we're made to jump through is usually brought about by those who are disobeying the rules.
Agree. Most rules & costs in society, all over the world, are brought about by outliers or the stupid.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by StevePIraq » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Personally I think all foreigners, especially as we only have the right to be here for 1 year at a time, should have to maintain a minimum sum to cover personal expenses.

In this particular situation I did it as I was going though a divorce and did not want to have large bank accounts, so I took everything out of the country. Now my divorce is complete I have no problem having cash in Thailand again and following the formal processes.

I see no need to ask how the process is done as long as it is done and I get my visa the same day.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3856
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by HHTel » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Several years ago I used to 'cheat'. Haven't done it for several years now as my financial situation now fits the bill more than adequately. However, at the time, everything was done by one of the immigration officers (not to be named) and each time I visited, I was offered the same service by other immigration officers. Not sure if it's still the case but just saying that 'agents' weren't even needed. 'One-stop Immigration!!'

RCer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by RCer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Maybe do a Google search for foreigners in prison for visa violations.

Personally, I know I have no rights here. Violating the laws is the last thing I would consider doing.

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 9227
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by caller » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:53 pm

HHTel wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:34 pm
Not sure if it's still the case but just saying that 'agents' weren't even needed. 'One-stop Immigration!!'
That's still the case if you know the right people.
Talk is cheap

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by europtimiste » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:52 am

You can brake any law as long it works. Over 15 years or more, it was even possible to get a 12 month multi entry visa from some Thai embassies abroad just staying in Thailand. Afterwards they got strict and you had to go yourself to the border for exit and re-entry.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by StevePIraq » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:57 am

:offtopic:
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

HarryVardon
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by HarryVardon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:54 pm

I don't quite understand how this can work. I have never used it. I have money in my bank. I go to the bank and ask for a letter of proof which costs me 100 Baht. When I show this letter to immigration they always want to see my bank book which has to show that the money has been there for three months and they insist that the bank book has been updated within the last couple of days to show that the money is still there.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests