Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:47 pm

i could have sworn i was involved in a forum discusssion on this topic last Decemeber but i simply cant find it?!?!

im looking for reccommendations, especially from UK based Thai visitors, on Long stay Travel Insurance companies that they have had good overall experiences

a few points to note

- im 56
- importantly i HAVE been out of UK for more than 6 months of the last 12(some just wont insure due this)
- my trip will be around 6 months , if they say 180 days max i can live with that
- i have some pre existing medical conditions which i would want included and they can screen me for

any views welcome

Gregjam
Guru
Guru
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by Gregjam » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Have you looked at world nomads.

benmo
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by benmo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:27 am

Check out Nationwide flex plus account. Max trip 180days. Good value. Had a few claims, never a problem

thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:24 pm

world nomads is on my list to contact Monday, thanks
re Nationwide wondered if Benmo could easliy/readily check re the 6 months rule( have to be in UK for the whole 6 months before you travel) if its not handy i can call them Monday
thanks Guys

benmo
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by benmo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Definitely don’t have to be in uk for 6 months, a day is enough

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3007
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by Homer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:26 pm

I use this site: https://www.squaremouth.com/ because you can Compare 116 travel insurance policies from 20 providers with 61,751 reviews, and their Zero Complaint Guarantee. It seems the guarantee can't be true, but if you know that industry-wide, 90%+ of travel insurance claims are rejected for reasons stated clearly in the policy, the guarantee seems believable.

Anyway, they say "If you are unhappy with how your travel insurance claim is handled, our team of licensed claims adjusters will investigate your case and mediate with the provider on your behalf. If the complaint is not resolved to Squaremouth’s satisfaction, we will remove the provider from our website and stop selling their policies."

REEM
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by REEM » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:51 pm


thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

REEM wrote:Try

Staysure https://www.staysure.co.uk/

and

Bought By Many https://boughtbymany.com/
Staysure won't insure me as I've been out of UK for more than 6 of last 12 months but I'll try the other one thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk


thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 am

Homer wrote:I use this site: https://www.squaremouth.com/ because you can Compare 116 travel insurance policies from 20 providers with 61,751 reviews, and their Zero Complaint Guarantee. It seems the guarantee can't be true, but if you know that industry-wide, 90%+ of travel insurance claims are rejected for reasons stated clearly in the policy, the guarantee seems believable.

Anyway, they say "If you are unhappy with how your travel insurance claim is handled, our team of licensed claims adjusters will investigate your case and mediate with the provider on your behalf. If the complaint is not resolved to Squaremouth’s satisfaction, we will remove the provider from our website and stop selling their policies."
Think that's for citizens of USA but sounds like a great website, I need to find the UK version of that for sure! Thanks Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk


thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm

REEM wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:51 pm
Try

Staysure https://www.staysure.co.uk/

and

Bought By Many https://boughtbymany.com/
fyi...boughtbymany is Europe only, thanks anyways

thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm

benmo wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:55 pm
Definitely don’t have to be in uk for 6 months, a day is enough
just called them now and they say its a strict policy that one of their defintions of a UK resident is someone who has been in the UK for 6 of last 12 months, thanks anyways

thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Gregjam wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 pm
Have you looked at world nomads.
(Again, for the benefit of anyone reading this forum......) World Nomads, whom ive heard good reports of, wont cover pre existing medical conditions so they dont suit my needs but may well suit others, thanks

REEM
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by REEM » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 pm

https://www.freespirittravelinsurance.com/

worldwide travel insurance.


Specialist travel insurance for people with medical conditions & no age limits.
Travel frees our spirit. It transports us away to precious time in special places with friends and family. Yet so many insurance providers refuse to cover people just because of their age or health.

Key features of Free Spirit.

Cover for most medical conditions and disabilities
No upper age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip cover
Specific cover for medical aids and prescribed medications
Cover for cruises included
Online medical screening, instant quotes and buy online
‘Super Duper’ level of cover is rated 5 Star by Defaqto
Over 100 activities included free
Travelling companions also covered
Terminal conditions considered – call us on 0800 170 7704
24 hour medical emergency helpline
Click here for a summary of our ‘Super’ and ‘Super Duper’ levels of cover

Free Spirit is different. We’re dedicated to providing travel insurance for everyone. Our specially designed policy gives free spirits like you the protection to travel with confidence. So whatever your age or medical condition(s), get a quote today!

thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks, so I just rang them!

It appears Freespirit are not actually that free-spirited! Image Not only do they insist on the 6 months rule(must have been in UK for more than 6 of the previous 12 months prior to starting trip) but also their max travel period is 94 days(if under 75) which is pretty short compared to most others. I can manage with 180 days but quite a few offer more than that.

I think I'm going to go with Columbus Direct unless anyone has any horror stories?! Image

Thanks for reply thoImage
REEM wrote:https://www.freespirittravelinsurance.com/

worldwide travel insurance.


Specialist travel insurance for people with medical conditions & no age limits.
Travel frees our spirit. It transports us away to precious time in special places with friends and family. Yet so many insurance providers refuse to cover people just because of their age or health.

Key features of Free Spirit.

Cover for most medical conditions and disabilities
No upper age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip cover
Specific cover for medical aids and prescribed medications
Cover for cruises included
Online medical screening, instant quotes and buy online
‘Super Duper’ level of cover is rated 5 Star by Defaqto
Over 100 activities included free
Travelling companions also covered
Terminal conditions considered – call us on 0800 170 7704
24 hour medical emergency helpline
Click here for a summary of our ‘Super’ and ‘Super Duper’ levels of cover

Free Spirit is different. We’re dedicated to providing travel insurance for everyone. Our specially designed policy gives free spirits like you the protection to travel with confidence. So whatever your age or medical condition(s), get a quote today!
Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk


thecolonel
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Travel Insurance- Single trip-Long stay

Post by thecolonel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:47 pm

thecolonel wrote:Thanks, so I just rang them!

It appears Freespirit are not actually that free-spirited! Image Not only do they insist on the 6 months rule(must have been in UK for more than 6 of the previous 12 months prior to starting trip) but also their max travel period is 94 days(if under 75) which is pretty short compared to most others. I can manage with 180 days but quite a few offer more than that.

I think I'm going to go with Columbus Direct unless anyone has any horror stories?! Image

Thanks for reply thoImage
REEM wrote:https://www.freespirittravelinsurance.com/

worldwide travel insurance.


Specialist travel insurance for people with medical conditions & no age limits.
Travel frees our spirit. It transports us away to precious time in special places with friends and family. Yet so many insurance providers refuse to cover people just because of their age or health.

Key features of Free Spirit.

Cover for most medical conditions and disabilities
No upper age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip cover
Specific cover for medical aids and prescribed medications
Cover for cruises included
Online medical screening, instant quotes and buy online
‘Super Duper’ level of cover is rated 5 Star by Defaqto
Over 100 activities included free
Travelling companions also covered
Terminal conditions considered – call us on 0800 170 7704
24 hour medical emergency helpline
Click here for a summary of our ‘Super’ and ‘Super Duper’ levels of cover

Free Spirit is different. We’re dedicated to providing travel insurance for everyone. Our specially designed policy gives free spirits like you the protection to travel with confidence. So whatever your age or medical condition(s), get a quote today!
Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Ps to last post meant to mention...

Columbus Direct ( 0800 068 0060) did not insist on 6 month rule although I'm not certain if they waived that as I was known to them??

But you have to be a UK resident and be registered with a UK GP. Plus had to have been in UK for last 3 months at time of booking policy

The zero excess waiver was inexpensive and worth it IMO

They will cover PEMC's (Pre existing medical conditions)

Their price was basically in line with three others, slightly more in truth but I'd used them before.

However having spent the whole of last week scouring the market then I would definitely recommend speaking to this chap :

Mark Brunger of Go Walkabout Travel Insurance 01424 223964.

Sadly he couldn't help me this time (due 6 months rule) but he will be my first call next year for absolute certain!

Thanks all



Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests