Early renewal of UK passport no longer has remaining validity of old passport

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Early renewal of UK passport no longer has remaining validity of old passport

Post by HHTel »

Until now, if you renew your UK passport early, up to 9 months of validity left on your old passport was transferred to your new passport. Not any more!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... han-expec/
Big Boy

Re: Early renewal of UK passport no longer has remaining validity of old passport

Post by Big Boy »

Funny you should say that - my son received his new Thai passport today. He also lost the remaining 4 months on his passport. I guess they must all be doing it, not just the UK. So it's no longer a 10 year passport, it is a 9.5 year passport, because it's useless in the last 6 months of validity.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Re: Early renewal of UK passport no longer has remaining validity of old passport

Post by pharvey »

I'd not checked mine, but have obviously been lucky. Received my renewed passport back in July and have had the 9 months added.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Yes, It must be a recent change. I also renewed a couple of months ago and had the remaining time added.

can't see anything on gov.uk....
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Thats just too much mathematics for the people in immigration offices!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Passports with validity over 10 years (5 years for children)

Since 2001, some adult British passports were issued with a validity longer than 10 years. This is because if you renewed your passport before it expired you were allowed to have the time left on your old passport added to your new passport. The maximum validity period possible was 10 years and 9 months. This means you can’t use the expiry date to check if your adult passport will be valid under the new rules.

From the beginning of September 2018 extra validity is no longer added to passports and the maximum validity for a new adult UK passport will be 10 years, and for a child passport will be 5 years. We have made this change to follow recommendations set out by the International Civil Aviation Organisation and to help provide clarity about passport validity in the Schengen area in the future.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rexit-deal

Ignore the Govt. Brexit nonsense that you will see first, the above is after that.

According to a trusted member on another site I use, this was raised by MP's in Parliament today, as they had no oversight (knowledge) of this. MP's have asked for clarification that it effectively means a passport is only valid for 9 years and 6 months.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I don't see how you can ignore Brexit.

Surely the reasoning, as explained in the link in the opening post, is that after Brexit the UK will be a "third country" (i.e. not an EU member state), and EU countries require visitors to have passports issued within the last 10 years, therefore if time is carried over the passport will be unacceptable during the last [up to] 9 months of its validity.

It's all petty nonsense, but it's definitely down to Brexit.
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 pm I don't see how you can ignore Brexit.

Surely the reasoning, as explained in the link in the opening post, is that after Brexit the UK will be a "third country" (i.e. not an EU member state), and EU countries require visitors to have passports issued within the last 10 years, therefore if time is carried over the passport will be unacceptable during the last [up to] 9 months of its validity.

It's all petty nonsense, but it's definitely down to Brexit.
I just don't trust anything this Govt. under May, say's about Brexit or what is being attributed to Brexit. Are other Countries complying or have already changed their passport rules to comply with so-called EU regs? Does the EU have power over what presumably was an international agreement governing passports? I don't know the answer to any of this, but why change now, not say from the end of January? Why not officially announce it as even MP's weren't aware?
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The view from The Independent which quotes the government as saying it's a belated measure to bring the rules in line with Shengan. That smells of Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 35346.html
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Right on cue, I just found this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45512152

Just think of all those Brit tourists who will probably say 'sod it', I can't be a***d to get an IDP, we'll go to Scotland instead'.

Just think of all those EU lorry drivers needing IDP's to drive in the UK? God help us if they can't sort something as basic as this. May's propaganda machine is going up another gear.

Seriously, the EU tourism authorities will be tearing their hair out over this and there will be enormous pressure for a reciprocal agreement to be reached. It's really not hard, is it.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm Funny you should say that - my son received his new Thai passport today. He also lost the remaining 4 months on his passport. I guess they must all be doing it, not just the UK. So it's no longer a 10 year passport, it is a 9.5 year passport, because it's useless in the last 6 months of validity.
I didn't know it works with Thai passports. The Thai passports in our family have always been renewed after expiry.
However, Thai passports are planned to be increased to 10 years which will put them in the same boat as UK passports which will only allow a maximum validity of 10 years because of the rules of Schengen.