Some Bangkok Embassies to stop Certification of Income Letters

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Post by lomuamart »

Ah, get you BB. Sorry.
My point is that "until now" as long as you can prove overseas income of 65K then it's OK. You can bring over whatever you need every month.
I don't know but it seems like the authorities might insist on that transfer each month.
We'll have to wait and see.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I would be a bit wary about the English version.
5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.
First they are talking about having the funds, then they write "earning". It is supposed to be for retirement, so nobody is "earning" anything.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A bit more information here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/brit ... me-letters
Further information
Stop pension letters (PDF, 911KB, 1 page)

How to open a bank account in Thailand (PDF, 178KB, 1 page)

A. Requirements for a retirement visa:

Must be at least 50 years old;
Must have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the application for a visa, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB;
Further information: www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22
B. Requirements for a marriage visa:

Must be legally married to a Thai national;
Must have an amount of no less than 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for two months prior to the visa application, or an average annual income of no less than 40,000 THB per month;
Further information: www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18
I note only the marriage visa talks about the average annual income amounting to an average per month.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My reading of this - and I accept that I could be wrong - is that something has changed in respect of what Thai immigration are asking the Embassy to do? And surely any new requirement would apply across the board to all Embassies?

But if not, then it implies this is just a way for the UK Embassy to stop providing this service? I think we need to know, so that we can make representation if this is the case.

It's a pity the Embassy aren't saying what it is they can't verify?
Talk is cheap
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:14 pm Thing is, BB that the combination method has always been available. I've never used it but if, for instance, I had 600K in the bank then I could make the rest up by income (200K divided by 12). But where's that income confirmation going to come from - if it was ever necessary? The Brit Embassy aren't going to issue anything by the looks of things. And probably that Imm web site is not exactly up-to-the-minute correct.
Over the years, there have just been so many lax embassies issuing letters. We've always known that, to the stage where those embassies who require proof of income to issue the letter become redundant as well.
I've always thought that Imm would eventually insist that the minimum income should be brought into Thailand.
If this is the case, then IMHO, it's extremely harsh and it remains to be seen whether there will be any "grandfathering" rules.
Why is it "harsh" for Thailand to ask for the required amount to get a visa to actually be transferred into the country?
Personally I think that the rules allowing for the combination method is very generous and flexible. You keep 400.000 in your 'emergency-fund' and transfer 35.000/month from your home country. And you are good to go.
As for the "grandfathering",....You gotta be joking....."Officer, since I have circumvented the intention of the immigration rules for more than 10 year....please.......:"
I never understood why people living here permanently find it so difficult to cut the umbilical cord to the home country.
Move your assets here and stop worrying about x-change rate fluctuations. You can invest in infrastructure funds here yielding 9% per year paid into your account quarterly (taxfree). Better than chasing low yielding fixed deposit accounts...!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

T.O.M. wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm Why is it "harsh" for Thailand to ask for the required amount to get a visa to actually be transferred into the country?
Personally I think that the rules allowing for the combination method is very generous and flexible. You keep 400.000 in your 'emergency-fund' and transfer 35.000/month from your home country. And you are good to go.
As for the "grandfathering",....You gotta be joking....."Officer, since I have circumvented the intention of the immigration rules for more than 10 year....please.......:"
For a start, we don't even know if Thailand is now asking for the required amount to be transferred into Thailand and no-one has previously circumnavigated the rules, even now, as there has never been a requirement to have 40/65k paid into a Thai account!
Talk is cheap
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm Ah, get you BB. Sorry.
My point is that "until now" as long as you can prove overseas income of 65K then it's OK. You can bring over whatever you need every month.
I don't know but it seems like the authorities might insist on that transfer each month.
We'll have to wait and see.
No authorities will not insist on a transfer every month, but they want to see 800.000 transferred between extensions. (Or less if the combination method is used)

So like BB, who transfer twice a year, no problem, but make sure that you don't wait with the second transfer (bad x change rate).
Clearly bank statements are going to replace income letters. They want the money to be transferred here.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30356038
This is the interesting part:
"
A bank statement should in future be used as the supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa, the embassy said..." Quote
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

caller wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 pm
T.O.M. wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm Why is it "harsh" for Thailand to ask for the required amount to get a visa to actually be transferred into the country?
For a start, we don't even know if Thailand is now asking for the required amount to be transferred into Thailand and no-one has previously circumnavigated the rules, even now, as there has never been a requirement to have 40/65k paid into a Thai account!
See post below your..
Sure they are not interested in a statement from your bank in the UK..?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

All this is very interesting (well, mildly...), but as with the multitude of previous proposed changes in legislation it's just pointless speculation until it takes effect (which it usually doesn't).
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If it were Thai legislation we were discussing, then I'd agree, but as this notice has been issued by the UK Government, I personally tend to believe it.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Sorry, but I thought it had morphed into a discussion on what the Thai authorities require...
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think we know, and have known for a few years what the Thai authorities need - I don't see where that has changed. The problem is how those who rely on the income method will prove they meet the Thai requirement.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:18 pm I must say, I thought this news would have been devastating for some, and generated a huge reaction. I know a few people who rely on this method. If the Embassy won't issue a letter of confirmation, is there another way of proving income?
Quite devastating. I have lump sum 'draw downs' once a year on top of my state pension. It's deposited in my UK bank and I transfer 5 grand when needed. Transferring 65K pm into my Thai bank account isn't going to work for me plus doing that the transfer fees are multiplied as opposed to 1 larger transfer every so often.

I'm going to have to think this one through.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 pm I think we know, and have known for a few years what the Thai authorities need - I don't see where that has changed. The problem is how those who rely on the income method will prove they meet the Thai requirement.
You could be right there. Ie, the evidence I have had to supply to the British Embassy now needs to be presented to Imm in lieu of an income letter.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The problem there is getting them to accept/understand all the UK paperwork involved.