How much are your outgoings each month?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
DrDuke
Rookie
Rookie

How much are your outgoings each month?

Post by DrDuke »

I fully understand that this will depend on your lifestyle but with a ballpark from some of you guys it should give me a rough idea of how much it'll cost per month to live in Hua Hin.

I've done some searching on the forum and although I've found figures for rent, utility bills, food etc I'd be keen to know how much it's costing ex pats to live here. A few minutes of your time would be much appreciated folks!
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Hi Dr Duke,

Here's the answer...... well sort of .......

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3498

JW's post is about right to me, anything less and you're not living life as you should here IMO.

Anything lower than that won't do IF you will be out on the town a bit, playing golf, get a car, eat out a lot, buy a few ladies drinks, trips to Bangkok or Phuket every now and then etc etc.

All depends on your lifestyle obviously.

Cheers,

Burger

PS: Speak to BEARHUG though, he knows a 7/11 with a pool table, waitress service, gourmet food where you can get a Chang for .......... yawn.
Last edited by Burger on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.tott

how mich to live in hua hin

Post by g.tott »

yes burger but you are out every night and most days aswell so your figures would be off the map to anybodys anyway" but it will all change soon " end of quote :cheers: :thumb:
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Having a screaming baby in the house will only make me go out more :wink:

Burger
g.tott

how much to live in hh

Post by g.tott »

well i have a new baby in the house and it does not stop me from getting out but i think my baby is more important than running round the streets after girls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumb:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Burger wrote: PS: Speak to BEARHUG though, he knows a 7/11 with a pool table, waitress service, gourmet food where you can get a Chang for .......... yawn.
Or see his website

www.Keeniow.com
DrDuke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DrDuke »

Burger wrote:Hi Dr Duke,

Here's the answer...... well sort of .......

JW's post is about right to me, anything less and you're not living life as you should here IMO.

Anything lower than that won't do IF you will be out on the town a bit, playing golf, get a car, eat out a lot, buy a few ladies drinks, trips to Bangkok or Phuket every now and then etc etc.
Your reply is most appreciated, thank you Burger!
Burger wrote:PS: Speak to BEARHUG though, he knows a 7/11 with a pool table, waitress service, gourmet food where you can get a Chang for .......... yawn.
LOL, if I manage to visit Hua Hin I very much doubt I'll be complaining about an extra 30 - 40 Baht for a beer :wink:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It is an interesting question and depends very much on what you want and how you want to live in comparison to where you come from.

If you're going to purchase a property of any kind, I assume it will be for cash, so that is a big chunk of savings right there.

If you want to furnish, drive, eat, entertain, travel...basically live to the standard you have now in the west, I would say you should anticipate to spend about 60% per year of what you are now spending.

I base this on me and the fact that the USD is weak. Last year I would have said about 50%. Pete :cheers:
DrDuke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DrDuke »

prcscct wrote:If you're going to purchase a property of any kind, I assume it will be for cash, so that is a big chunk of savings right there.
That's something I'd be very interested in doing, about 6 months ago I started saving for a deposit for a place in Belfast which has become almost pointless because house prices have doubled in the last 2 years.
prcscct wrote:If you want to furnish, drive, eat, entertain, travel...basically live to the standard you have now in the west, I would say you should anticipate to spend about 60% per year of what you are now spending.
Thanks Prcscct, I'd like to be able to afford to go out at least once or twice a week to some of the nicer upmarket restaurants (how much would they cost per meal?) and have a few beers at least 3 nights a week at the bars.

Then during the weekends it would be nice to be able to either travel to bangkok, Phuket etc at least 2 or 3 weekends a month. I guess I'm just trying to describe the lifestyle I'm looking for, most of the time I just want to be able to chill out in the sun on a beach. A nice laid back lifestyle, not having to do too much most of the time.

Burger that thread you posted was really useful, thanks again!

From what I've gathered 25k-30k Baht/month for a relatively comfortable lifestyle and 50k-60k Baht/month for a more extrovert lifestyle.

Would 40 - 60K Baht/month be enought for the sort of lifestyle I'm looking for? (Assuming I had bought my own property)
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you're looking at going to Phuket 2-3 times per month you're looking at 60k+.

To live comfortably in Hua Hin and not scrimp all the time around 40-50k a month should suffice.

That thread Burger linked to gives a lot of good responses (apart from a few errant one from some idiot in the car hire business). Everyone has their own budgets and living expenses so we'll all differ in opinion - personally I have to spend a wad on nappies and milk every month - so there goes my beer fund!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
DrDuke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DrDuke »

buksida wrote:If you're looking at going to Phuket 2-3 times per month you're looking at 60k+.
After having a quick look at prices (and considering the amount of traveling involved) I'm thinking it'll be more like one weekend to Phuket (3 days) and one trip to BKK (another 3 days) each month.

Thanks again for all your help guys, it's nice to have some realistic facts and figures.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I can't add to the collective wisdom here, I haven't spent enough time (yet) in HUa Hin area.

But here in California I make a living as a CPA (chartered accountant on the other side of the pond).

I work with many retirees, and soon to be retirees (myself in the later sooner than later I hope!).

Just make sure your plan has a back up, or at least a safety.

Have you spent long term in Thailand (no need to answer) I've got many clients that have worked towards a retirement move to another state, or Mexico (common here in California) only to not like it after a year, and not have much left to come back, and get re-established with.

Also imho I want to retire, but will wait 1-2 years if it means scrimping vs comfort with a safety (after all I'm a bean counter remember)

I'm not basing my planned retirement (and move) on age, but on money so as soon as I've got enough......
1st beers on me guys (and gals)
(at least for the first weekend, remember I'm a bean counter :D )
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think that's real good advice Migrant, but unfortunatly if you took a poll here and got honest answers, I think very few have a back up plan in case they had to return home.

Sure, some have grown children in the home country they could move in with for awhile, but who really wants to do that, it's a loss of face all the way around. Older expats I'm sure most parents are gone as well, or on a shoestring budget.

Younger expats in their 20's-early 40's have other options. They could perhaps go back and start a whole new life over again.

The 50+ people may indeed have all their eggs in the Thailand basket and unless they were wise investors, most of their money has probably gone to a house here and daily living expenses, with a small government pension that kicks in when in your 60's.

It's a tough call. When people retire and have the guts to move countries, they feel euphoria and not often think about any negatives. Hopefully the negatives or disenchantment never comes to force them to re-think. Full speed ahead into happiness, the hell with the rest!!...LOL. Pete :cheers:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

prcscct wrote:Full speed ahead into happiness, the hell with the rest!!...LOL. Pete :cheers:
What would this board be without you Pete!!!!!!!

What a marvellous word of statement!!

All the best to you and your wonderful family!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
DrDuke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DrDuke »

prcscct wrote:Younger expats in their 20's-early 40's have other options. They could perhaps go back and start a whole new life over again.
I guess that I fall into this category, I'm nearly 23 and I work online (so I can work from anywhere that has a decent internet connection)

From my perspective, staying in the UK for much longer doesn't have much appeal. Over the past 3 years I've seen property prices race away from what I could ever afford which has priced me off the market, I understand there is certainly risk if I was going to purchase a property in Thailand but I also feel that there is a lot more risk if I attempted to purchase a place in the UK.

I'd have to take out a 40 - 50 year mortgage, borrow 5 - 6 times my earnings (That's without taking into consideration these new water and rates charges that will come into effect in the next 2 years in Northern Ireland). Also even more frustratingly, the market in Northern Ireland is so hot at the moment that properties goes for 1.5 times the asking price, so if a property is on the market for £200,000 it can sell for £300,000 or more.

Also I'd like to limit my risk even further (IF I bought in Thailand) by buying a small place with a friend. From what I've read, it seems very possible to get a nice 2 bedroom place for around £40,000.

In the UK my income is rather low, I earn anywhere from £1k - £2K per month (Just depends on how much effort I put in) If I did move to Hua Hin I'd be looking to save as much of that as possible per month, based on the lifestyle I'd like I think it would be possible to save at least £1K per month and put that into investments for the future.

As for backup plans, I have nothing set in stone at the moment. I don't see my ability to make an income from the internet going away anytime soon, I feel there is at least another 10 years before things drastically change.

Even if my internet income was cut off, then I feel I have other options. I'd like to go back home for around 3 months per year, in that time I'd get a job and work as many hours as I could, saving all the money for the next 9 months that I'd be in Thailand.

Personally though, I don't jump into anything without having a plan covering as many angles as possible. Before even considering buying a place, I'll make sure I rent for a few months to check out the area first.

Thanks again for your help everyone :)