Money

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
kt
Rookie
Rookie

Money

Post by kt »

Coming to thailand in Jan, is it best to change money in the Uk or in Thailand
Edd Case

Post by Edd Case »

KT. Have found for the last couple of years the best deal to be had is to bring English folding money ( not Jock/Irish) - the bigger the notes the better - and change at one of the banks here (we use Siam Commercial). GB£ traveller cheques seem to get a marginally better exchange rate but this could be eradicated by any initial charges at UK end. Obviously there is the security aspect to consider carrying large amounts of cash
Edd Case
totster
Rookie
Rookie

Post by totster »

You could get a flex account with Nationwide Building Society. No fee for ATM withdrawels overseas..! :thumb:

totster 8)
Moto Guzzi Bob

Update on ATM cash withdrawal

Post by Moto Guzzi Bob »

I have been seriously annoyed with banks who have charged for cash withdrawals from overseas ATM's. They didn't used to a few years back. I thought they all did it so I was pleased to read totser's comments. I can confirm (having just checked) that this is still the case, quote from their site:
'If you use your FlexAccount Cheque Guarantee Card to withdraw cash abroad, you will not be charged a currency conversion fee at CIRRUS machines. Unlike most financial organisations, Nationwide will not charge you for using your card abroad.'
* Nationwide will not charge members for using any cash machines, but the machine provider may make charges over which we have no control.

Hope this helps, as some things need to be updated
Bob
Nah, must be more to it!