GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by HHTel »

China has over 3 trillion and has the largest foreign reserves (by a long way) in the world.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This is the full list of foreign reserves, very interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ding_gold)

However this is an even better list explain why certain countries do not have huge foreign reserves, basically because their own currency is the reserve

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/countri ... -reserves/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm no economist, but I think the advantage of having large foreign reserves is that you can buy your own currency in large enough amounts to prop it up if necessary. That might be over simplistic but I think that's the general aim.
Another factor of course is that the GBP is weak so it's not all about the strength of the THB except that we seem to be getting hit from both sides!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But it is not the cause to worry about as there is nothing we individuals can do about it, the worry is the effect.

I now have two friends who's pension no longer meet the minimum requirements. They have no idea what to do.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

06 Sep, 2018 Good news for a change

Pound to rise 6% in a year, if there’s a Brexit deal

Sterling will make robust gains on the dollar over the next year, based on the notion that Britain exits the EU with a deal, according to a Reuters report.

Average forecasts in the survey of 50 foreign exchange experts showed gains of $1.28 in a month, $1.32 in six months and $1.37 in a year – showing an approximate 6% rise from Wednesday’s trading.

However, this still won’t return to levels seen before the Brexit referendum, and those forecasts were somewhat weaker than ones suggested last month, reinforcing market uncertainties as the Brexit deadline approaches.

Kamal Sharma at Bank of America Merrill Lynch said: “Our high conviction view remains that a deal will be reached ... we think this will take GBP/USD back above the $1.30 level and towards $1.35.”

Instead the pound will fall 8% immediately after Brexit should Britain leave without a deal next March, according to mean forecasts within the poll. The most negative response was for a 15% fall.

According to analysts at SEB: “If the negotiations should collapse, or if the agreement is rejected by some EU country or by the UK Parliament - causing the UK to leave the EU without an agreement next year - there is a risk that the pound will depreciate dramatically, especially against the dollar.”

Another Reuters survey carried out this week revealed just a 25% chance of a no-deal Brexit, even though there are just two months until the UK and EU hope to reach an agreement on the terms of Britain’s departure.

Valentin Marinov at CA-CIB stated: “The risks to our forecasts are tilted to the downside.

“While our central case remains that the EU and the UK will eventually arrive at a mutually beneficial and business-friendly trade deal, chances are this will come only after a period of heightened political uncertainty and growing fears about a no-deal Brexit.”

According to Reuters analysis, soon after Brexit, the Bank of England is predicted to increase its Bank Rate by 25 basis points to 1.0%, to provide some support to the pound, but not make any further actions until 2020.

Elsewhere, the Federal Reserve has been gradually hiking borrowing costs since 2015, which has supported the dollar, together with investors opting for the safety of U.S. assets due to trade war fears.

The European Central Bank is predicted to increase interest rates in the quarter after the Bank of England does.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

BUT, Mark Carney the Gov ofthe B of E talking yesterday if NO deal is made it will have terrible effects and the Pound could plunge.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well the pound hit 1.32 only a couple of weeks ago, although down to 1.27 now.

A 6% rise will give a 2 and a half baht on the exchange rate.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Jacob Rees Mogg labelled Carney as a Failed second rate Canadian politician--He has never been a politician and was a big success as the Gov of the Bank of Canada-- the only thing that JRM got right is that he is Canadian.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Jacob Rees Mogg is a very wealthy privileged Eton educated, past Hedge Fund manager, what qualifies him to be a politician?

Whereas Mark Carney graduated from Harvard in 1988 with a bachelor's degree with high honours in economics, before postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford at St Peter's College and Nuffield College, where he received masters and doctoral degrees in the same field, somewhat qualified for his position I would say.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

oakdale160 wrote:Jacob Rees Mogg labelled Carney as a Failed second rate Canadian politician--He has never been a politician and was a big success as the Gov of the Bank of Canada-- the only thing that JRM got right is that he is Canadian.
JRM may not be so good with facts, but he's good with fantasy. Also good with money apparently, though prefers it not to be in GBP.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Rees Mogg is a partner in SCM and normally earns £14,500 a month for 30 hours’ work, that's GBP483/per hour plus undeclared dividends. SCM is a fund management company heavily invested to the tune of GBP60m in a Russian bank which is under EU sanctions. It seems sanction only apply to some.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Great start to the New Year as the GBP drops below 40.5 to the THB. And there I was yesterday reading an article from high flying financial types who were predicting a 12% rise in Sterling's value this year.
The optimism was short lived.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've given up worrying - if it drops to 30 Baht to the Pound (my worse case scenario when planning retirement), I'll start worrying again. Not much we can do about it - worrying will just make things worse.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

True enough.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

lomuamart wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:41 pm Great start to the New Year as the GBP drops below 40.5 to the THB. And there I was yesterday reading an article from high flying financial types who were predicting a 12% rise in Sterling's value this year.
The optimism was short lived.
Look on the positive side lomu.
Uk will leave the EU, be it with new changes from the EU or without any deal, and I am positive about this and fed up with all the doom and gloom. I am hopeful about a 12% rise before year end or sooner.
There is far too much guess work in so many future predictions and I shall not read anymore of them, including from this Forum!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.