Brown rice

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Brown rice

Post by hhfarang »

Since coming here I eat rice with every (Thai) meal and that along with the lower amount of activity (and maybe a little more beer :oops: ) has caused me to put on a few kilos and my blood sugar levels are approaching the danger zone.

My wife changed to brown rice. She went through a few brands that I couldn't eat because they tasted like eating bits of cardboard. Now, she's found one that I actually like and I've recently switched to it 100% when I eat at home.

Does anyone know if this is really a lot healthier (lower in carbs, therefore sugar, and higher in fiber, so less calories retained). And, does anyone have a brand suggestion to try.

Ours has been dumped into a rice keeper bin and the packaging is gone. The wife says it can only be purchased at Golden Place and I'll find out what it is if anyone wants to know.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

We've used brown rice before and it certainly tastes different to the white variety.
Whether it's "better" for you, I'm not certain, but I was always told that wild rice, normally brown and with the husk, is certainly better as it contains more vitamins and fibre.
I'm not exactly renowned as being the world's leading nutritional expert, but I believe rice can be similar to potatoes. Ie, the best bit of the spud is the skin, the rest is pretty much stodge.
I also can't remember the variety of brown rice we were eating, but it wasn't wild rice.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Thanks Lomu,

Yeah, I don't think this is wild rice as it looks the same as white rice except for the color; there is no husk. My wife is convinced that it is healthier but I would like to know if there is really a difference.

She taught me to make rice (using the cooker of course) and to rinse it three times before putting in the final water for cooking. I did notice with white rice the three rinses give off a whitish water as if maybe it is washing away some of the surface starch contained in the rice.

I noticed when I rinse the brown rice the water coming off is clear so she may be right.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

We use Jasmine Brown Rice - different brands. Never tasted like cardboard. The taste could be because you are used to high fat, sugar, salt diet and your taste buds are stuffed. Manufacturers coat the rice to stop it sticking together in the packaging. Rinsing 3x is necessary.

A quick search brings up this link about Thai rice...
http://importfood.com/nrco0508.html

There are ways to balance your blood sugar. Try a couple of tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar before each meal. It is said to also prevent the body laying down fat stores. Get 'Braggs' brand from Golden Place.

Add a sprinkling of Cinnamon to your rice. Half a teaspoon a day makes a big difference to your blood sugar levels. I buy packets of cinnamon sticks and grind them as needed.

Watch what sugars you are consuming. Don't eat anything with Fructose Corn syrup. Cut out the sodas completely, especially anything that says 'diet'.

If you want all the goodness of the Rice Bran, cook with Organic Rice Bran Oil. It doesn't turn toxic in high temperatures as the other oils do. Or buy 'Oryzanol' capsules.

Boozers find it hard to cut down due to sugar cravings. If you want to reduce your drinking, try eating a few sweets as you wean yourself off it.

There's little point in changing any one food (or rice) when the rest of your diet and lifestyle is unhealthy. Bit like thinking a couple of vitamin pills will correct a lifetime of abuse. Why not look at what else you are eating and make gradual improvements. If not, at least try the ACV and Cinnamon.

Good luck.

:thumb:
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

Mr Plum
thanks for your very informative post!
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

has caused me to put on a few kilos and my blood sugar levels are approaching the danger zone
When I am in Thailand my weight falls off at an alarming rate. I only pile on the pounds when I am visiting the UK.

How can you tell if your blood sugar levels are reaching danger level?
I don't have a sweet tooth and find it amazing that rice can raise this. Or am I just being an arse... :shock:
www.35mmview.com
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

Randy Cornhole wrote:
When I am in Thailand my weight falls off at an alarming rate. I only pile on the pounds when I am visiting the UK.
quote]
Randy Cornhole wrote:I love 'guideo' No not a gay Italian waiter but noodles in a black water with dried pig skin, fish things and green bits floating in it. Its as hot as hades but really tasty. I get it on the street, sold by a lady who sells it to me on request accompanied with money... :shock:
I imagine you loose weight cos youre too busy pebbledashing the squatters :butt:
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

MrPlum,

Thanks for all that great advice. I will certainly try as many of those as possible. I don't eat/like sweets at all, and I don't drink sodas at all, but I do drink too much alcohol (beer, wine, and vodka mostly).

Randy,

I have a semi-annual (fasting) blood test and that's where I've watched my sugar creep up over the last few years, as well as cholesterol, triglycerides, and a few other numbers that, as MrPlum says, are due to an unhealthy diet and lifestyle that as yet, I don't seem to be able to give up. I also have that test because it includes a liver function panel which anyone who drinks a lot should probably keep a check on.

A sugar reading of 120 or higher is considered diabetic and my last reading was 118 so I'm in the danger zone.

I really eat pretty healthy; healthy Thai dishes, salads, lots of veggies, and protein usually in the form of fish or lean chicken; some, but not a lot of fruit/or fruit juices and I exercise (both strength training and aerobic) almost every day, but I still like to drink and I love salty snacks like crackers, chips, and peanuts. Can't seem to kick those habits! :mrgreen:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Think Lomu and MrP about right here. As with many things, "The goodness" can often be found in the skin(or husks in the case of rice). I understand many like decident snacks and generally unhealthy indulgences, me too, but you would probably be better off going for a decent walk everyday around HH and using olive oil(wherever possible) etc etc.

There is very little around that doesn't do something negative to us in some way without having to be hyper organized and taking the fun/enjoyment out of your life. Suppose it's the moderation factor and getting some exersize(whatever shape or form it comes in). Going for walk 3-4 times a week or playing 9 holes of golf twice a week etc along with a few dietiary changes would probably go along way.

Sometimes I'm amazed how easy it is to have a very unhealthy lifestyle here as all the unhealthy things are so easily available coupled with too much time on your hands. Longevity here comes through having interests and something to do that you enjoy which keeps you active.

On the subject of blood pressure, I've heard that a very small amount of aspirin each day is supposed to be a possitive thing as it's supposed to thin the blood. There are some conditions that it cannot be mixed with, so it depends.

Don't take my word for it! But, if you go to the doctors sometime, it might be worth asking about, and then do whatever he tells you.

Some of this may well be a bit off topic but was worth saying. :cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Spitfire. Aspirin has too many negatives for me. There are better alternatives.

hh If you can't stop drinking at least protect your liver. Try Milk Thistle .. http://www.liversupport.com/ or Turmeric (do a search for 'turmeric liver').

I'm not a doctor. Do your own research and make up your own mind.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

OK MrP, fair enough, I understand, just an idea. Many advocates and many 'nay' sayers on that one. Cheers.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

spitfire wrote:OK MrP, fair enough, I understand, just an idea. Many advocates and many 'nay' sayers on that one. Cheers.
Glad you mentioned it. We're on this good earth to help each other. Right? I'm not saying it doesn't work. Only that there are other approaches worth investigating, such as the most obvious. Stop doing whatever it is that is causing you to be sick, instead of seeking a magic bullet that allows you to continue your toxifying lifestyle!

There's one medicine we should all take...

:cheers:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Amen MrP!

:thumb:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Thanks again MrP for the liver help advice. I will try all the things you mentioned as well as try to cut back a bit on the toxic waste! :wink:

As for aspirin, I used to take a baby aspirin (about 80 mg I think, normal adult ones are 320 mg) every day on the advice of a doctor, but after a few weeks I developed spontaneous nose bleeds and had to stop. MrPlum is correct in that it may work or be beneficial for some but for others it can have some pretty bad side effects with bleeding as well as gastro intestinal problems.