Is it time to leave Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
huahincharlie

Is it time to leave Thailand?

Post by huahincharlie »

I've had to acknowledge that I am now suddenly questioning whether it is time to abandon Thailand, with the troubles going on in Bangkok and elsewhere. I've often had minor disappointments with this country in the past but generally speaking they have concerned the social side of things, such as the poor service, lack of common sense, lack of knowledge etc.

I split my time between Bangkok and Hua Hin, so perhaps seeing the effect of the protests is affecting me more than it would, were I to remain in Hua Hin.

The problem I have with it all is that the protesting is just another example of a lack of order in the Thai way of doing things - it shows no respect for principle. Whatever one's thoughts on the government, they are the elected party and in all civilised countries, that is respected until such time as elections are called.

I'm concerned to see today's news, that the police situated at Suvanaphumi Airport have been forced to vacate the area and that on their way out, their vehicles were attacked by batton-weilding protestors.

Is this the behaviour one wants to see in the country one has chosen to make home?

I've loved this country for some years now, but the decision to come here to live permanently, has partly coincided with all the problems. Sadly I now see it in a different light.

Unfortunately the way Thailand is in danger of appearing to the outside world, is as a partially lawless society. That phrase was used by a tourism expert in the Bangkok Post this week.

This group of protestors is showing some real power, and obviously has influence in the military, vis-a-vis the fact that the army is reluctant to get involved. It shows Thailand as a country where people are happy until something doesn't suit their particular rules, then they forget the established rule of law.

Does anyone else feel the same way about Thailand?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

You're considering leaving as a matter of principle... and returning to the USA??? :shock: :wink:

To answer your question, no, I'm not leaving, or even thinking about it. Yet.
This is the way
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Personally I would not let the current troubles decide wether I lived in Thailand or not. It still for me is the place to be, and things would have to esculate an awful lot more for me to make the decision to come back to the UK permanently.
There are troubles all over the world, it seems more so at the moment than any other time? But that could just be my perception.
I am stuck in the UK at the moment due to the credit crunch, and believe you me I would trade places with you in a moment to be where you are right now. Its very very cold and misrable here with the depression of christmas looming.
Fancy a swap...? :D
www.35mmview.com
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

It's becoming clear to me that this situation is being allowed to go unchecked by police and army. See the police run from their check-points today, no police barricades set-up, no tear gas to stop PAD advancing like before.

PPP want to re-write the Army Coup 2007 constitution to allow Thaksin back AND to remove immunity to prosecution of Army Coup leaders. So course Army are not supporting government now and will never allow that to happen imo.

Government can't make Police or Army act for them so they are basically unable to govern country, they have to go, pressure is on them now. PAD will then be happy and they're the one's capable of unrest.

When coup happened, Army and police had road blocks everywhere, 3 from Hua Hin to Bangkok, god knows how many from North to Bangkok to stop any Thaksin supporters gathering. Wasn't any disturbances (I don't think) when they wanted to impose control.

Needs new government, not involving Thaksin and cronies, new government give assistance to North to keep them sweet and peace can return. Don't agree with PAD methods but looks like its how its gonna be.

SJ
Last edited by Super Joe on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I might consider leaving if I could get there!
I find myself now in a situation where I’m living in a hotel here in Europe, with two homes in a country that I can’t get to because there are no air links.
The actual political situation wouldn’t stop me going, but if I can’t physically get a flight to Thailand that is a bit of a mute point.
I will continue going to Thailand, if I can, because I have a relationship there, but if it wasn’t for that I would seriously be considering relocating. I’ve relied on aviation for employment and travel for my whole life and a country without an international airport is no use to me.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

It's understandable that such thoughts arise. But a bit too early to be jumping the gun. If the BBC 'Have Your Say' site is any indicator, there is growing disillusion with western democracy, increasing corruption and adoption of what could be called the 'Mussolini Business Model'. The high cost of living, (with more economic trauma to come), make going home an unpalatable choice for me. Besides it's too damn cold for my skinny heat-adjusted bones.

When Thailand start setting up internment camps or civil war actually breaks out and foreigners get targetted, then I'm off to find an ashram on the Malabar coast, in my boat...

Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

looks like youv'e just left the wives behind... :shock:
www.35mmview.com
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Randy Cornhole wrote:looks like youv'e just left the wives behind... :shock:
Not at all. There's 3 lying on deck and 4 below. :D
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

MrPlum wrote:
Randy Cornhole wrote:looks like youv'e just left the wives behind... :shock:
Not at all. The boat's already full. :D
Have you been nicking Coconuts and Pineapples again?

:cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Super Joe wrote:.......................Government can't make Police or Army act for them so they are basically unable to govern country, they have to go, pressure is on them now. PAD will then be happy and they're the one's capable of unrest................................SJ
That is my take on it aswell. The question I have is whether the army/police want a completely new elected government or a resumption of long term military rule.

My guess is that they will be divided on that. When the final government step down happens I can't see PAD being able to organise a viable political party even if they wished to do so.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well I can only speak for myself but no, I would not even consider leaving Thailand simply because a group of new age hippies have decided to camp out at the airport.........lol. Seriously though, you get problems in any country so where would I go to. Okay, I fancy a trip to Brazil or Columbia :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
norm
Professional
Professional

Post by norm »

Well if I wanted to leave I have no idea where I would go that would be better than LOS. But then the only reason I would leave is if ........

Immagration no longer issued visa.

Thailand became unsafe to live in.

My wife wanted to leave.

So where the present mess is disconcerting it is not nearly bad enough for us to search for another home. The biggest thing is you cannot help but feel that no one is in charge and those working in the goverment only do the jobs that they agree with. They agree smile and then don't follow through and do the job.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I was in southall ,at my grandparents house, the day Blair Peach was killed and in central london the day Harrods was bombed .I was also off work sick when the BT building was devastated by a bomb attack .I should have been in that area .This and hundreds of other incidents over the years had no bearing on my choice to leave England .The current situation here may escalate to the point where I have to refocus my interests here but at the moment the thought of leaving is a long way off .As for the economic implications of this and the world in general I have a fishing rod so I won,t starve .Lets hope it all gets resolved for the best as soon as possible . :cheers:

Crazy 88
buksida

Post by buksida »

Super Joe wrote:It's becoming clear to me that this situation is being allowed to go unchecked by police and army. See the police run from their check-points today, no police barricades set-up, no tear gas to stop PAD advancing like before.

PPP want to re-write the Army Coup 2007 constitution to allow Thaksin back AND to remove immunity to prosecution of Army Coup leaders. So course Army are not supporting government now and will never allow that to happen imo.

Government can't make Police or Army act for them so they are basically unable to govern country, they have to go, pressure is on them now. PAD will then be happy and they're the one's capable of unrest.

When coup happened, Army and police had road blocks everywhere, 3 from Hua Hin to Bangkok, god knows how many from North to Bangkok to stop any Thaksin supporters gathering. Wasn't any disturbances (I don't think) when they wanted to impose control.

Needs new government, not involving Thaksin and cronies, new government give assistance to North to keep them sweet and peace can return. Don't agree with PAD methods but looks like its how its gonna be.

SJ
I think this is a first, I agree with pretty much every word of that!

I will only consider leaving when the situation puts my children's lives in jeopardy. So far most Thais out of the city don't really seem bothered by what's going on ... tomorrow is another day.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

It may mean that more backpacker types start coming back to Thailand.
The mainstreamers and families will find somewhere else in Asia to go.
I love the fact there is this random craziness going on. But them I'm a free-roaming single man on the move.
All these farang bringing their families and kids are a bit crazy in my eyes, Asia isn't really set up for foreigners with kids on holiday.