Thailand gets first film-rating system

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Thailand gets first film-rating system

Post by buksida »

Thailand's new film rating system will divide movies into seven categories from May

THAILAND - The country's first film-rating system will be up and running in May after the Cabinet approved four draft regulations yesterday.

Rather than the five categories used elsewhere, Thailand's system will classify films into seven categories.

"The extra categories are for films that should be promoted on cultural or artistic merit, and films that should be banned for inappropriate content," Culture Minister Teera Slukpetch said.

Films that authorities deem to offend the monarchy, threaten national security, hamper national unity, insult faiths, disrespect honourable figures, challenge morals or contain explicit sex scenes will be banned from Thai screens.

The five other categories are similar to those used in rating systems elsewhere.

Special ratings
The "General Audiences" category is for films with no sex, abusive language or violence.

The "13" category excludes violence, brutality, inhumanity, bad language and indecent gestures, rules that are relaxed slightly for the "15" rating.

Films with an "18" rating can explore the darker side of human nature but must not show scenes of exposed genitalia, crime or drugs.

Then there are films for viewers aged 20 and above. Sex scenes are allowed here but only if viewers don't get a peek of genitalia.

It's not all bad
Thai Film Director Associa-tion chairman Yongyoot Thong-kongtoon said the regulations would give a framework for film directors. One positive side is that it might encourage less low-grade comedies and more movies with substance, he said.

"We'll have to wait and see what the new system brings in the long run."

Director and producer Prachya Pinkaew, who sits on the panel that prepared the draft regulations, said he was happy to see the system sail through the Cabinet. The regulations have been dogged by criticism since they were first unveiled.

Source: AsiaOne

Thought: Just looks like a reason to censor more, not that it'll affect any of us in Hua Hin who can't go to the movies anyway.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand gets first film-rating system

Post by Spitfire »

buksida wrote:THAILAND - The country's first film-rating system will be up and running in May after the Cabinet approved four draft regulations yesterday.
Missed this one Buksi so I'll 'give it a go now'. "Whoopee Fu****g do!", what planet are they on. This is a 'pie in the sky' notion.

The problem is that you already have kids watching serious horror and violence everywhere on pirate DVDs/CDs anyhow.

The cinema's are not the problem, you need to regulate that monster/leviathan that is called the 'illegal DVD/CD industry', coupled with the Thai family/social/parenting/responsibility etc issue of 7-10 year olds watching 'whatever the hell' they want that's available on the street corner, whilst nobody 'gives a sh**'. :shock:

They really are in "La-La" land on so many things like this. :cuss:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Then there are films for viewers aged 20 and above. Sex scenes are allowed here but only if viewers don't get a peek of genitalia.
20 year olds can't get a peek at the old 'meat and two veg' or a woman's mufti...? What a bummer. Oops that another classification altogether... :shock:
Last edited by Randy Cornhole on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.35mmview.com
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Randy Cornhole wrote:
20 year olds can't get a peek at the old 'meat and two veg' or a womans muffti...? What a bummer. Oops that another clasification altogeather... :shock:
I must have imagined the film I spotted on normal TV at mid morning with about 30 black slaves stark bollock naked.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

30 black slaves stark bollock naked.
Are you sure it wasn't some dark inner repressed feeling that you experienced... :mrgreen:
www.35mmview.com
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Randy Cornhole wrote:
30 black slaves stark bollock naked.
Are you sure it wasn't some dark inner repressed feeling that you experienced... :mrgreen:
:naughty: :butt: :D

I've seen full frontals a few times on Thai TV and then they blur out women in Bikinis advertising treadmills. :? :? :?
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Ohhh Goly just give me

Thsi really show that Tailand is simply a Nanny state which take the resonsablility from it's people

If you closely @ these nausieating ratings they are a tat worse more than in the USA.

As Spitfire said rightly The is reallly LA LA Land!

Your's The understudy!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Films that authorities deem to offend the monarchy, threaten national security, hamper national unity, insult faiths, disrespect honourable figures, challenge morals or contain explicit sex scenes will be banned from Thai screens.
hmmm....lets see....that leaves me......

NOWT!!!!!

Hooray!

Now I know my film collection is actually worth watching! :cheers:

I'll leave the drip feed diet of Disney, appallingly acted hackneyed drama, Mr Bean re-runs and totally unfunny comedy films to my Thai chums then.......

oh the hardships I bear to live in La La Land...... :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."