Blood sweat and takeaways

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Blood sweat and takeaways

Post by Randy Cornhole »

There is a BBC3 series running at the moment called 'Blood sweat and takeaways'

It follows a group of young English people as they are sent around Asia to experience working in the food industry.

Part 1 was shot in a Malasian tuna factory.

Part 2 was in a Prawn farm (I forget which country)

And part 3 was in Thailand, in Issan no less!! They had to work in the rice fields.
It was strange seeing them sleep in the village huts, moaning about the mossies... :mrgreen: and geckos. They got 200 bht a day and nearly starved to death due to lack of food combined with the heat... :shock:

Made me feel quite homesick... :|
www.35mmview.com
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Now they know how to spell "work".
They can thank their lucky stars they were born in western europe, winners in the lottery of life.
Happiness can't buy money
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

I have watched them all so far, I cant see the producer or whoever was in charge to let them go hungry, I know i couldnt work with with an empty stomach.

Watching it made me feel guilty for all the money i take over for spending in a 2/3 week holiday, How much difference it could make for a Thai rice workers life :( .

Is there such a thing as fairtrade Jasmine rice? I'd like to think if there is by buying it the workers are getting a better way of life.

Also, Next week they are in Bangkok and from the clips they showed for the next episode it covers the bars, Ive never given it thought before when going in the bars and fineing a lady its taking advantage of the poverty their family have back at home.

:(
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)