Hua Hin Golf Gossip

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

This link takes you to the participating courses with contact details:
http://www.tatnews.org/events/events/20 ... t/4130.asp
Probably best to call the course first to check that everything's up to date and that there's no competition on the day you want to play.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Here's a good article on golf rules, ones we should know and those we ignore!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/sport ... ngton.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
le pew

Free Golf at Milford River Kwai

Post by le pew »

Has anyone seen this before?
http://www.golfblogger.co.uk/post/free- ... river-kwai

I didn't go further into the site to see what the catch is but maybe you guys already know the score.

From my perspective as a traveller, it seems that Kanchanaburi certainly has some golf bargains to be had. A week of golf every day there would be affordable. Then back to Hua Hin and the so-called better courses of which I am yet to see.
valrhona

Post by valrhona »

If you're talking value for money golf, I think that Kanchanaburi beats Hua Hin hands down, as a matter of fact BKK does too but sometimes there's more than golf to consider particularly if you have a companion.
le pew

Post by le pew »

Yeah, I agree that there is more than golf to consider. So far in working out my next trip I am considering a week in HH followed by renting a car and travelling to Kanchanaburi for a week then back to HH, mainly because I am getting the idea that night life in Kanchanaburi may be dead and who knows I may have a met one of those 40yo+ bar girls HH is getting famous for. But seriously, some of those Kanchanaburi courses look really good for a 500 baht green fee. My only concern is getting lost trying to find them as I have read on the forum here that signs are rarely in english. Perhaps by the time I get there I can find a tag along from Bernies Bar who knows the way. I am not forgetting that Milford in HH also has 500 baht fees mid week but many posts here do not say much about the quality there, only the slick greens. Perhaps I spend all my time trying to master them.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand announces golf ball detection system:

http://www.etravelblackboardasia.com/ar ... 864&nav=11

This could save me a fortune! :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Recently Buksida posted a link to a site with plain English rules.
I found it very helpfull.

Golfhelp, can you please give me a ruling on the following? I find the rule book very confusing.

1. I am off the green. Others in the group are on the green.

A. One of their balls is in front of the hole and could prevent me from chipping in. Can I insist that he marks and lifts his ball?

B. One of their balls is behind the hole and may help me if I chip too hard.
Can I insist that he leaves his ball there while I chip?

Is the rule different for "matchplay"?

Thanks in advance. :cheers:
You only live once.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If I remember rightly, if you're off the green there's no penalty for anyone if you hit another ball. It's just a case of where the balls are placed afterwards. I think your's stays where it is and the ball hit gets replaced as close to where it was on the green beforehand.
Things are different if both balls are already on the green and the rules and penalties vary on whether you're playing stroke or match play. In one of those instances - matchplay I think - it's always your responsibility to mark your ball and there is a penalty if your ball is hit. Could be the other way round though.
I'm not sure if you can tell your opponent/playing partner not to mark their ball whether you're on or off the green.
I've probably got this all about face. Hopefully someone more up on the rules can clarify.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A. One of their balls is in front of the hole and could prevent me from chipping in. Can I insist that he marks and lifts his ball?

Is the rule different for "matchplay"?

This is from the USGA rules of golf. I'm not sure if the R&A rules read differently or not... seems to answer all of ozuncle's questions and seems pretty clear to me...

"22-1. Ball Assisting Play
Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may:

(a) lift the ball if it is his ball, or
(b) have any other ball lifted.

A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21). In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.

In stroke play, if the Committee determines that competitors have agreed not to lift a ball that might assist any other player, they are disqualified.

22-2. Ball Interfering with Play
Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that the ball of another player might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted.

A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21).

In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.

Note: Except on the putting green, a player may not lift his ball solely because he considers that it might interfere with the play of another player. If a player lifts his ball without being asked to do so, he incurs a penalty of one stroke for a breach of Rule 18-2a, but there is no additional penalty under Rule 22."
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Is the rule different for "match play?

''A'' Yes you can.
''B'' No you cannot insist he leaves the ball. If it may help you to leave it then play quickly before it can be moved. Unfortunately in Thailand where we all have to use Caddys they are trained to mark balls on the green and often move to do so regardless if somebody is about to play.

If you are already on the putting green and then hit another ball, which you could have insisted being marked, then you incur a one shot penalty.

No difference in match play.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Thanks PET,

:cheers:
You only live once.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Where's the best (cheapest) place in town to get equipment like gloves and shoes. My wife needs golf shoes and we both need new gloves. I looked at gloves at Springfield last week and the same brands I used to pay $5 to $7 for in the U.S. were just shy of 1000 baht here (nearly $30!).

There must be a shop that has better prices somewhere in town...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd say the golf shop at the 'Outlet' a few kilometers past Cha-am or the little shop in Pranburi where the bypass joins Petchkasem - both have golf gear at discount prices, most places in HH are, as you'd expect, HH prices!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Based upon all of the banter on here I've taken up the game again after about an 18 year break. Not on a course yet but just practicing. I've come to find I've shrunk in height, my arms are now shorter, 250 yard drives before are now 150, The ball disappears immediately after leaving the tee and no idea where it went, my right shoulder and lower back feels as if I've been hit by a truck. Only good thing is my high irons seem to be much better and accurate. Perhaps my bag will only contain an 8,9,wedge and putter on my first outing. :shock:

Thanks very much all for getting me back into this sport. With each ache and pain I shall remember you all! :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
le pew

Post by le pew »

Welcome back to the great game Pete. As an older player (not too old) I can recommend getting into one of those hybrid 19 degree jobs. Very forgiving, hit them like a short iron and easy to stay on the fairway with reasonable distance. Plenty of time later to get back into the driver.
The caddies call them Kaitoey clubs but they work a treat and plenty of them in use. Don't leave it too long to get on the course proper! Enjoy.