Car hire

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
peter-pan
Amateur
Amateur

Car hire

Post by peter-pan »

Hello There,

My friends are holidaying at Cha Am and are looking for a car hire for a week or so. There are looking for a small (cheap) car to accomodate 4 persons.

Expected dates are 15th August onwards, I did send an enquirey on his behalf but he has a Hotmail address which I'm told may be dicey.

Can he use his UK licence for this hire purpose or does it have to be an international one ?.

I would also like to know if there is a reasonable (cost wise) taxi service for day hire or general use.

Thanks for your help.
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Re: Car hire

Post by stgrhe »

peter-pan wrote: Can he use his UK licence for this hire purpose or does it have to be an international one ?.
I do not have any answers to the other questions, but in Thailand it is recommended to have an international driver's license. It is requested by law although Thailand is Thailand so it is most likely that the UK license will be accepted, at least if the car renting company is a smaller one.

Note that Thailand do not recognise the three year international driver's license of the 1966 convention, only the one year one of 1949 convention.

G.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

peter-pan wrote:Hello There,

My friends are holidaying at Cha Am and are looking for a car hire for a week or so.
Try here:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin-car-rental.htm
peter-pan
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks

Post by peter-pan »

Thanks for the replies

PP
John HH

Post by John HH »

stgrhe wrote:
peter-pan wrote: Can he use his UK licence for this hire purpose or does it have to be an international one ?.
I do not have any answers to the other questions, but in Thailand it is recommended to have an international driver's license. It is requested by law although Thailand is Thailand so it is most likely that the UK license will be accepted, at least if the car renting company is a smaller one.

Note that Thailand do not recognise the three year international driver's license of the 1966 convention, only the one year one of 1949 convention.

G.
Hi Peter-Pan

Most of the bigger chains (hertz, avis etc) require the 1949 International license however stgrhe is quite correct the smaller ones are normally fine with the UK license and your passport.

However be warned I got stung over Songkran with just my UK license by the BiB and had to cough up some tea money as I didn't have the international license.

You can get the 1949 International license from certain UK post-offices or you can apply thru the AA or RAC. Strangely it has nothing to do with the DVLA. You just need £6 or £7 and a passport sized photo if my memory serves me correctly.

This should give you all the info you need:-

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

or

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/j ... d=19100195

Not sure if that's of any help thou as you stated your friends where already in cha-am.

Either way good luck!

:cheers:

John HH