Lost Bar in Kao Takiab

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Lost Bar in Kao Takiab

Post by stgrhe »

I yesterday discovered the Lost bar in Kao Takiab and found to be a very nice British style bar (no bar girls) with moderate beer prices.

All prices are displayed on a black-board in a proper manner.

It is a pretty small bar with beautiful wooden interior run by a British / Thai couple. The Lost is a place I will visit again.

It is located on the left hand side coming from Hua Hin about fifty metres beyond the first 7/11.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Agree, Nice cosy little bar. I watched one of the British Lions games in there as it has most of the sports events showing.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

You're right, but when the owner is away, the wife tends to let standards slide pretty badly. Very common to find no ice, stale wine etc. Otherwise, agree, it is a nice place to hang out when it is run proper, like.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

Agree with what you all say...
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I yesterday discovered the Lost bar in Kao Takiab
Then I guess it's not lost any more! :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
(buffalo) Bill
Banned
Banned

Post by (buffalo) Bill »

We’ve been in Lost on many occasions when Martin is there and when he’s been away and I can honestly say I have found standards to be the same – good food and service, cold beer and value for money. But I will also add that whether under pressure or not, mistakes can be made. We have on occasions run out of ice late at night as well due to a sudden crowd coming in but was easily solved by sending one of the staff to 7-11 – maybe you could have suggested this to help them out.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

BB,

The situation was late afternoon / early evening, 2 occasions (once with a GF - stale & apparently watered down wine) the other with a friend - no ice - 'because the freezer was full of food I have no room tomake any,and no time', in spite of their being no one else in the bar or restaurant. Martin was away on both occasions. My friend diplomatically suggested it wasn't the smartest thing to have no ice so early in the evening when the weather was still warm, and to say the young lady concerned couldn't give a damn is putting it mildly. Being a bit more jai rorn personally, I was more put out than he and haven't been back. But neither of us was impressed, and to the extent that he tried to make helpful suggestions, he might as well have been talking to one of the very elegant brick walls there within!
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Korkenzieher,
I have read comments like yours, critical of food and beverage establishments, before on this forum, and my response is always the same - why have you not approached the owner/manager at the time (or later if they weren't there) about your concerns, rather than anonymously slating the place? My experience with Lost is that they have extremely high standards, and I know for a fact that they have a large ice container behind the bar which will store enough ice for every day, and they have daily deliveries of ice to ensure it is full. It is never used for food as it is not a freezer, and they have a separate freezer for food. No bar/restaurant 'makes' their ice as to do so would be more expensive than having it delivered, or even buying it from 7-11, as some of the smaller places around town do. This suggests that you are not being completely truthful in your quote of what you were told by the staff, or possibly even the time you were there.
As far as the wine goes, accusing them of watering it down, or it being stale is something you should definitely mention at the time, and from what I know of the staff there they would have replaced it if you were unhappy with it; you don't say what the wine was, but if it was their house wine it is impossible to water that down in the container as it is one of the boxed wines. If you had complained and they didn't do anything, and then you subsequently spoke to Martin or his girlfriend about it and were still unsatisfied then you would be entitled to post your comments on here; as it stands you sound more like a jealous competitor or someone making mischief than a genuinely disappointed customer.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That's one of the hazards of running a bar or restaurant here. I have several friends that do and if they are not there all the time to address customer concerns/complaints they have problems. The staff in most cases just don't care as they only make a small amount of money and have no vested interest in what customers think.

If you have a long time establishment with a manager you can trust it may work but if not, you shouldn't open a place here unless you are willing to put your life (and all your free time) into it.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Re: Lost Bar in Kao Takiab

Post by Korkenzieher »

@ Wanderlust. Never picked up the response to my post previously, and I would simply reply by saying that the content of your reply suggests that you didn't actually read my post since it explicity states that my (significantly more diplomatic) companion did attempt to make helpful suggestions. Whether he has ever seen the need subsequently to speak to Martin, I don't know. He has significantly more opportunity to do so than I.

For the record, I have no interest in any bar any where on the planet, other than as a customer. Hopefully a satisfied one.
lostcafe
Novice
Novice

Post by lostcafe »

Hi
Sorry to be brief.
You came in about 1 year ago at about 12.30am ordered red wine with ice.
Seperate fridges for white/red wines.
Ice for most bars/cafes/restaurants/hotels normally delivered and is not made from the freezer.
Maybe i should approach you and asked why you continue to be upset over the missing ice cubes, but then as you know i am currently in London.
lostcafe
Novice
Novice

Post by lostcafe »

hi
Sorry can you explain how exactly we make our ice cubes?
Just interested.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Wonderlust sagely wrote:
it is impossible to water that down in the container as it is one of the boxed wines.
What comes out must go in :) or take the tap out :wink:
Not anyway suggesting the bar in question does this but thought I would challenge "impossible" :neener:
no more dePreston
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Locking this since many of the participants are no longer active on this forum, the comments may no longer be relevant, and the thread was started a year ago.

The owners are welcome to take an advertorial at less than 9 baht a day if they wish to promote their venue professionally and give it some online exposure.