Whiskeys

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Bamboo Grove

Whiskeys

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Seeing how popular the beer topic is, I now dare to venture into stormier waters. Whiskeys. I don't know the whiskeys that well but I'm keen to learn. I prefer single malts and with strong taste of smoke or peat. What would you recommend? I've just enjoyed a bottle of Connemara Fuisce but I've heard that peat is rare in Irish Fuisces. Tasted pretty decent, though. Would Ardbeg be the answer to my thirst?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Whiskeys

Post by Spitfire »

I give whiskey a wide berth in general, makes me insane.

However BG, Dalwhinnie single malt, one of the six classics, might be what you're looking for.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is truly up HHF's alley. Tennessee sour mash whiskey such as Jack Daniels is the cream of the crop in terms of Bourbon type whiskeys, Us Yanks are more familiar with that than the different types/varieties of Scotch. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Oddly enough Pete, even though I was born in Tennessee and I love whiskey, sour mash is my least favorite. Single malt scotch is my fav, followed by Canadian, then Irish whiskey.

Bamboo Grove, you,re right, another popular topic. May I suggest to you Laphroaig. It is a single malt from Isley, which exactly fits the description of the type you like... not for the faint of heart like the smooth Glenn(you add the rest) from the highlands or speyside. This one is truly smokey, peaty, and even oily. I know that sounds terrible to the uninitiated, but once you develop a taste for this type of scotch, there's no going back.

Unfortunately, Laphroaig used to be available here at a couple of liquor stores at around 1200 baht per bottle, but now I think the Wine Cellar on the corner of Phetkasem near Chomsin is the only store that carries it and it is over 2000 a bottle there.

Ask Buksi and Lomu how good it is... they helped me down the last bottle I got at 1200 a few months back.

Of the highland single malts (actually west highland I think) Oban is by far the best I've ever tasted, but alas I only get it when someone brings me a bottle from outside Thailand as it's not available here.
Last edited by hhfarang on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

hhfarang wrote:
May I suggest to you Laphroaig.
Yes, I've tasted it at it's good.
reallex
Amateur
Amateur

Post by reallex »

Depends on who I am drinking with. I'm not really a whiskey man, to many peoples' chagrin I also mix it with coke (coca-cola). The only purpose it has to me is to get drunk and some aren't even whiskey. So my list goes HongTong, 100 Pipers, Johnnie Walker (Red/Black/Blue), Samsong, Famous Grouse, whatever the person(s) I am with insist on having.

I'll even take a shot of lau kaew when I don't care.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

BG - Just need to start a thread on ciders now and I think you should have God-like status on the site!! :bow: :bow:

First Beers and now Whiskey..... I LOVE my whiskey!! :cheers: Unfortunately, to the true whiskey connoisseur, I would no doubt be held in contempt as a complete and utter oik :oops:

I love the single malts (well, many of them), but one of my favorite whiskeys is Jameson... a blended whiskey and no doubt a no-no with the purists..... well pants to them I say!!

Laphroaig is a wonderful tipple HHF - as is Glenfiddich and Glenlivet...... being a Welsh ''oik'' however, I have to go for Penderyn - the one and only Welsh single malt (bias aside, it's bl**dy nice)!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

In my early 20's my father used to say "Richard, your brother is courting wines. You are married to Whiskey"

Now I don't drink (at this point in time) so I miss a good Scotch.

One thing this thread will develop into is what is whiskey?

Here's my tipple as it was 3 months ago in order of preference:

1) A good malt. No ice. No water
2) A blend with ice only
3) Jamesons with ice only
4) Rye whiskey with ice only

Thailand

5) Sangsong (rum) with soda and ice
6) Lao Kow (Isaan moonshine) with Red Bull and in very small measures

No wonder my body is a wreck and again my father was right about all the things he said about me. He once took me to Scotland (bonding with a rebel without a cause) to play real golf and drink real whiskey. He was a connoisseur of both and lived till 99 years not out (golfer, cricketer and drinker). That alone would make a best seller :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Would also add... can't stand Bourbon and to me it's not a whisky - being made from bl**dy corn.

Any whisky you need to add coke (or equivalent) to is sh*te..... and as reallex points out, I would assume is generally used to get pi**ed.......... I tend to use the ''Swahili Scale''. When I start speaking fluent Swahili, I know I'm b*ll*cksed!!

A decent whisky is to be savoured, never to be used as an escape from reality..... there's plenty of Johnnie Walker & Coke for that..... :neener: :cheers:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

prcscct wrote:Jack Daniels
My favourite tipple with an honourable mention to Wild Turkey. :naughty:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

BaaBaa. wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Surely not BaaBaa
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BaaBaa. wrote:
My favourite tipple with an honourable mention to Wild Turkey. :naughty: :cheers:
Wild Turkey will turn you into one in short order! :laugh: Pete :cheers:

http://www.wildturkeybourbon.com/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

pharvey wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Surely not BaaBaa
Sorry mate, I prefer the Bourbon.

It's Hunter.S.Thompsons favourite drink so it must be cool. 8)
prcscct wrote:
Wild Turkey will turn you into one in short order! :laugh: Pete :cheers:

http://www.wildturkeybourbon.com/
Yep, it's pretty lethal. :twisted:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Cardhu 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch. Distilled in Speyside.

Colour: Pale, light amber.
Nose: Medium-bodied, with a hint of sweetness and peat. Excellent bouquet.
Taste: Smooth, light to medium, mellow flavor. Malty sweetness and a hint of peat.
Finish: Long, lingering and sweet. Some peat comes through.

My FIL drinks it, so you can get it in the LOS :thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

One of my favourite, although I only get to drink it when someone brings me a bottle.
Sipped 50/50 with natural water, No Ice.
Glenmorangie.jpg
Glenmorangie.jpg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th