Pattaya - Hua Hin Ferry

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
barrys
Legend
Legend

Re: Pattaya > < Hua Hin

Post by barrys »

Hi SJ

Thanks for that - it is one of the sites we used, as mentioned a few posts ago :wink:
We use that in conjunction with the Thai meteorological service and the combined results seem to be quite reliable.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

This thread is too long for me to see if the minivan between Pattaya and HH was discussed. Took it to Pattaya last week. The trip convinced me to come home via Bangkok.

What happened? Van was at start point when we got there 20 minutes before scheduled departure time. Didn't leave until 25 minutes after the scheduled time because he was waiting for a single passenger. A Thai, of course, can't imagine they'd wait for a Farang. The route is designed to avoid tolls by leaving and rejoining the toll road. That probably wasted a half hour. Finally, the drop off point was not the one stated when we purchased the tickets.

Better option, IMHO, is minivan between HH and Victory Monument, BTS to Ekkamai station, cross the road to the bus station and then take a big bus (with legroom, reserved seats and a toilet) that leaves every 30 minutes to the Pattaya North Bus Station.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

I agree, I did it and it was the same messing around. I ended up spending 5 1/2 hours in the same van and I think dirty air con gave me a very nasty cold. Won't do it again!
Nice to see you here Homer, we had a good NFL football chat in Head Rock Bar one night last January.
Happiness can't buy money
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

Homer wrote: Better option, IMHO, is minivan between HH and Victory Monument, BTS to Ekkamai station, cross the road to the bus station and then take a big bus (with legroom, reserved seats and a toilet) that leaves every 30 minutes to the Pattaya North Bus Station.
There are vans from Victory Monument to Pattaya. Did it on Monday 120 Baht and took about 1hr 40 mins dropping off at Tops Supermarket on 2nd Road/ Pattaya Klang junction. Bus then goes on to Jomtien.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

huahinjim wrote: There are vans from Victory Monument to Pattaya. Did it on Monday 120 Baht and took about 1hr 40 mins dropping off at Tops Supermarket on 2nd Road/ Pattaya Klang junction. Bus then goes on to Jomtien.
I'm told that's usually the fastest route. I liked being able to get lunch in Bangkok and stretch my legs. Would do the minivan from Victory to Pattaya if I had more than a carry-on size bag.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

johnnyk wrote: Nice to see you here Homer, we had a good NFL football chat in Head Rock Bar one night last January.
We certainly did. I wonder if the owners and players can resolve their contract differences in time to have a full season. Right now I don't care because it's NBA playoff time.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

What's the deal with tourists wanting to use this ferry..???
I have had 3 tourists this week ask me HOW,& WHERE do they book this ferry..????
How do you tell people you have to book online..WTF! :cuss:
These people had been to the HH Tourist imformation 'hut'.."Uh?..mai-roo???"
Travel agents could not assist, the HH tourist info said they never knew of such a service!

I wish everyone connected to this project every success, but you guys need to be a damn sight
more 'public' if ya gonna get bums-on-seats..get some posters in hotels, get that phone number up on peoples walls..make yourselves known...cos at the moment HH tourists know you as only a rumour. :cheers: :cheers:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

usual suspect wrote:What's the deal with tourists wanting to use this ferry..???
I have had 3 tourists this week ask me HOW,& WHERE do they book this ferry..????
How do you tell people you have to book online..WTF! :cuss:
These people had been to the HH Tourist imformation 'hut'.."Uh?..mai-roo???"
Travel agents could not assist, the HH tourist info said they never knew of such a service!

I wish everyone connected to this project every success, but you guys need to be a damn sight
more 'public' if ya gonna get bums-on-seats..get some posters in hotels, get that phone number up on peoples walls..make yourselves known...cos at the moment HH tourists know you as only a rumour. :cheers: :cheers:

Hi US
There are a lot of posts on here from me, saying that we are the main agent here in Hua Hin.
There are also telephone numbers published here and on the separate web page we launched with Hua Hin media.
You say you have had 3 tourists asking about the service this week.
Where is that? Would you like brochures? Would you like us to come and see you and give more information?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Have you got brochures in the little Kiosks Barry?

It'd be a good idea if not, even if it's just an A5 black and white flier.

How do the Tourist info places work BTW? Do you have to pay as an advertiser?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

BaaBaa. wrote:Have you got brochures in the little Kiosks Barry?

It'd be a good idea if not, even if it's just an A5 black and white flier.

How do the Tourist info places work BTW? Do you have to pay as an advertiser?

Hi BaaBaa

We don't have to pay anything to the municipal tourist info offices.
We have been to the office at tessbann and next to the Clock Tower (pick-up and drop-off point for the ferry) as well as numerous other place and given them all the necessary info.
The problem is: when staff changes, which is pretty frequently, or the person you spoke to doesn't tell his/her colleagues, then the stuff gets pushed to the side, stuck in a drawer or thrown in the bin.
We've experienced this the last 6 years with selling our own tours.

We are now in the process of having new leaflets printed for our tours and the ferry service, which we will then distribute carefully to selected outlets.

Another problem is that you need a special TAT licence to sell tours.
We have one.
However, we are also supposed to verify that re-sellers also have the requisite licence otherwise we could, strictly speaking, render ourselves liable.

There is currently one particular section of the law-enforcement ( :roll: ) authorities that preys on this sort of thing.
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

Homer wrote:
huahinjim wrote: There are vans from Victory Monument to Pattaya. Did it on Monday 120 Baht and took about 1hr 40 mins dropping off at Tops Supermarket on 2nd Road/ Pattaya Klang junction. Bus then goes on to Jomtien.
I'm told that's usually the fastest route. I liked being able to get lunch in Bangkok and stretch my legs. Would do the minivan from Victory to Pattaya if I had more than a carry-on size bag.
Have done the trip from VIctory Monument to Hua Hin with full-size suitcase and shoulder bag! Bit of a climb for those at the back of the van getting in/ out but a few laughs and they managed it. Some vans want you to pay for an extra seat if you have big case(s) but so far I've not been asked. Maybe more of a problem if there are 2 or more with cases.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

huahinjim wrote:Some vans want you to pay for an extra seat if you have big case(s) but so far I've not been asked. Maybe more of a problem if there are 2 or more with cases.
We were told if the bags are big enough to prevent another passenger, and the van is full, then you pay extra
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Can we get this thread back onto the Pattaya > < Hua Hin subject please? The minibus from Victory Monument to Hua Hin is another thread.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Barry-lad..please understand I'm not havin' a dig at your service..just bringing to your attention the problem some folks were having... as before we wish you well
If you've got proper posters that we can put up for you then please drop a couple in at
Kim's Kitchen. Cheers now.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

usual suspect wrote:Barry-lad..please understand I'm not havin' a dig at your service..just bringing to your attention the problem some folks were having... as before we wish you well
If you've got proper posters that we can put up for you then please drop a couple in at
Kim's Kitchen. Cheers now.

No offence taken!! Thanks a lot for the feedback.
We'll bring you some info in the next day or so - long time since I was in Kim's Kitchen, so it'll be a good opportunity to look in :)