School boss with no education background

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Borsch
Novice
Novice

School boss with no education background

Post by Borsch »

I have recently made the move from Singapore and have been doing the rounds of language schools looking for a Thai language course so that I can least do shopping at the market.

Anyhow, reasonable information, prices and credentials from the places I visited with one exception. I understand that this particular school is said to be the busiest. I spoke to a Thai lady there who said that she was the owner. I asked if she taught Thai? Oh no, I am not a teacher. Do you have any education management background or teacher experience? No, I leave that to my staff.

Just surprised me that such a person could be running a school. In Singapore she would not have been able to open her door. What qualifications are required here?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: School boss with no education background

Post by dtaai-maai »

"Such a person"?
I'm not sure what you expected. This lady wasn't a teacher and didn't claim to be.
I'd much rather go to a school owned and run by someone with a bit of nous who employs good, well-qualified teachers than somewhere run by a Linguistics professor with a PhD, no communications skills and crap teachers.
Qualifications don't mean much in a region where they can be bought "off the shelf".
If the school is busy, that's probably because people are happy with the results. A much better indicator than a framed degree on a wall!
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree:
Let the administrators do the administration, and the teachers do the teaching.

If Borsch finds a teacher doing the administration, who does she think will be doing the teaching? It's horses for courses in my book.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Education around the world is littered with advanced-degree types who can't teach and don't understand people.
Happiness can't buy money
Elaine
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elaine »

I think I know where you mean. I have also visited there. Owner manages a local guest house and told me that she only drops into the school now and then. Personality, I did not like her attitude and eventually enrolled at WECI. Note that I said personality.. she may be great but not my cup of tea.
KateB

Post by KateB »

I ran a language school and it was my previous managerial experience which made this a success, not my previous teaching experience.
I know nothing about the school you refer to, but the woman was straight about not being a teacher which is to her credit. She could be the best recruiter/manager/motivator in the business, or she could be rubbish at running a school but because she is not a teacher doesn't tell you anything.
I have some lovely friends who are excellent teachers but couldn't organise a you-know-what in a brewery.
KateB

Post by KateB »

Oooops I meant 'the fact that she is not a teacher' not 'because' - it's morning here in the UK and I need a second cup of coffee.....
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Education around the world is littered with advanced-degree types who can't teach and don't understand people.
That is spot-on JK, people have to learn how to teach and interact properly. Teachers and academics are not the same.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Spitfire wrote:
That is spot-on JK, people have to learn how to teach and interact properly. Teachers and academics are not the same.
Indeed. I have worked with PhDs who couldn't change a lightbulb. Academics for the most part read and regurgitate other people's bumpf. Perseverance and lack of imagination are the prized qualities of academics, many are simply not that bright.
Happiness can't buy money