[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by Lev »

ADVERTORIAL

The Wado Karate Federation

The Wado Karate Federation (WKF) was founded as an association based in Bristol, South West of the UK, dedicated to the practice of traditional Japanese Wado karate. The WKF is headed by Sensei George Grimes, 8th Dan Kyoshi.

What is Karate?
Karate-Do "the way of the empty hand" is a martial art originated in Okinawa. Karate-Do has its roots in Chinese martial arts introduced into Okinawa during feudal times.
Karate-Do was brought to the attention of the Japanese public at the start of the twentieth century by the Okinawan master Gichin Funakoshi. The art gained popularity and was exported to the West from Japan. The style practised within the WKF is Wado.

What is Wado Ryu?
"Wado" means "the way of peace and harmony" - "Ryu" means "school". Wado Ryu was devised by Hironori Ohtsuka, the first Grandmaster. Hironori Ohtsuka was already a master of Jiu-jitsu when he began to study Karate with Gichin Funakoshi and Choki Motobu. Wado Ryu was a development of Okinawan Karate in combination with Jui-jitsu.

About Sensei John Oliver
John first started learning karate in 2000 at the age of 10 in Yate, Bristol at the Sangraal Reidendo Karate Club. After 12 months he moved to train under Sensei George Grimes, 8th Dan Kyoshi, at the Wado Karate Federation, also based in Yate. He gained his 1st Dan Certification from the Wado-Ryu Karate-Do Organisation at the Summer Course in Barnstaple, on 25 July 2008, and was promoted to 2nd Dan on 4 July 2011 by the Wado Karate Federation at the Summer Course in Portland, Dorset.

He started teaching karate at the age of 15, and has been actively involved ever since. When he left the UK in April this year, his teaching schedule was:

• Wednesday - Children
• Thursday - Children
• Friday - Children, followed by Adults
• Saturday - Children, followed by Adults
• (some) Sundays - Travelling as competition coach (Adults and Children)

At the age of 15, he was invited to train with the Wado Ryu, England squad, and picked up a bronze medal at the UK open championships in Sheffield on his England debut when only 16 years old. In 2009, he travelled to Tokyo to represent England in the Wado World Championships both as an individual and in the team event. For the 12 months leading up to the World Championships, he was receiving additional training alongside karate legends such as former world karate champion Rory Daniels.

Unfortunately, he picked up a serious injury in Tokyo, and has been out of competitive action since. The damage has now been repaired, but he is now concentrating on passing his knowledge on to others.

The Wado Karate Federation, Hua Hin
Sensei John, 2nd Dan, Black Belt, moved to live in Hua Hin several months ago and is keen to continue the art. He is running regular training sessions from his home in Bon Kai for both adults and children. Class sizes are deliberately kept small (6 maximum) to give more personal attention.
Classes are being run during evenings (when it is a little cooler). All lessons are 2 hours long. The first lesson with the Wado Karate Federation is always free – if you don’t like it, there is no obligation to continue. After that costs are:

• Adults - 250Baht
• Children - 200Baht

A pay-on-the- day policy is observed i.e. no need to block book in advance, and no show, no fee. Parents are welcome to sit and view their children’s lessons.

Private lessons can be negotiated.

Telephone 0983 055964 (English)
0983 055963 (Thai)
e-mail: wadokaratefederation@gmail.com

Please use this thread to ask any questions and communicate with establishment representatives who may also respond here.

Click here if you are interested in having your own monthly updated advertorial thread on Hua Hin's busiest website
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by richard »

Good luck John :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Thank you Lev.

Training is currently taking place:

Wednesday from 6pm until 8pm

Friday from 6pm until 8pm

Saturday from 6pm until 8pm

Other days will be considered if demand warrants it,
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi John

What times do you have the classes for kids, and how often should they come for lessons? Also, from what age can they start?

Thanks
Shane
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Hi Shane,

We don't normally accept students until the age of 8. 2 hours is a long time to keep the interest of somebody younger.

Currently there are no adults enrolled in any of the above classes, although interest is being shown in the Wednesday class. The club is still developing, and we will ensure that adults and children are kept in seperate classes.

edit - 1 x 2 hour session per week would be fine until they are sure they really want to continue. We don't put pressure on anybody to attend more than necessary. However, when higher grades are achieved, then more regular attendance would be expected.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

The Benefits of Karate

Karate offers both Physical and Mental Health Benefits

Physical Benefits include:

- Improved reflexes and coordination
- Increased performance in all physical activities
- Increased strength and stamina so you feel great all day
- Increased flexibility and weight control for better overall fitness
- Cardiovascular workouts ( heart and lungs ) to keep you in top shape
- Greatly improved balance
- Ability to defend yourself

Mental Benefits include:

- Improved concentration for better work and study habits
- Stress reduction and the ability to relax
- Confidence in knowing you can defend yourself and your family
- Confidence in knowing how to deal with bullies and other confrontations
- A positive attitude toward life through self-confidence and self-discipline
- Self-esteem and your outlook on life
- Respect for yourself and those around you
- Motivation and an 'I Can Do It' attitude

As you will see, Karate is not just about fighting and defending yourself. The Wado Karate Federation has been passing on all of the above benefits to students for well over 20 years. We have taught these values to students as young as 5 (although 8 years old is the minimum preferred age) through to 80. One of our senior students actually achieved his 1st Dan Black Belt at the ripe old age of 76 years old last year. Age does not need to be a hinderance to achieving mental and physical fitness.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

The Components of Karate Training

Training in karate can be divided into 3 basic sections i.e.:

Basics

The philosophy behind karate is vast and complex. It stems from thousands of years of armed and unarmed combat. Techniques that were perfected hundreds of years ago, are still being perfected over and over again by each new-generation. Buddhism, Taoism, and the code of Bushido have all played parts in the development of the martial arts philosophy. Karate in its modern form is about 400 years old which was originally an offshoot of Chinese Gongfu. It has its roots in ancient martial form of India like Kalaripayatu which is a combination of all forms like ju-jutusu, karate, aikido etc., and involves all techniques including hitting, grappling, twisting, and ground fighting.

Kata

Kata is a Japanese word describing detailed patterns of movements practiced either solo or in pairs. Karate Kata are executed as a specified series of a variety of moves, with stepping and turning, while attempting to maintain perfect form. The practitioner is counseled to visualize the enemy attacks and their responses. Karateka "read" a kata in order to explain the imagined events. There are perhaps 100 kata across the various forms of karate, each with many minor variations.

Traditionally, kata are taught in stages. Previously learned kata are repeated to show better technique or power as a student acquires knowledge and experience. It is common for students testing to repeat every kata they have learned but at an improved level of quality. The student will perform one new kata and one or two previous ones, to demonstrate how much they have progressed.

Kumite

Kumite means sparring, and is one of the three main sections of karate training, along with kata and basics. Kumite is the part of karate in which a person trains against an adversary, using the techniques learned from the basics and kata.

Kumite can be used to develop a particular technique or a skill (e.g. effectively judging and adjusting one's distance from one's opponent) or it can be done in competition.

During Wado Karate Federation training sessions, all 3 elements are practiced. Beginners are aquainted with various elements, and it will take several lessons before they are able to combine the various moves into a single karate element.

Unfortunately, I am restricted at the moment because I can't attach links or videos. When I have achieved the required post count, I will be able to post videos taken from my own Dan gradings to demonstrate the above.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Hi John,

Next year I'm going to move my stepson to Hua Hin for schooling and I'll try to get him involved. I don't want you to teach him how to kick the living daylights out of me but I do think the discipline of something like this would be good for him!
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Hi Steve,

You will be quite safe, the WKF does not breed bullies :D Quite the contrary really. Aside from the fitness angle, we install confidence in knowing how to deal with bullies and other confrontations to the extent that bullies tend to avoid our pupils.

Your stepson will be more than welcome, and don't forget, the first lesson is always free. If he doesn't like it, there is absolutely no obligation to continue. Just contact us when he's ready to give it a go.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Children's Grading in Wado Karate Federation

NB: Adult grading follows a very similar route, but the syllabus is somewhat harder.

The grading structure in Wado Karate Federation has been arranged specifically for children and to prepare them for the adult syllabus they will encounter later in their karate career.

Students progress through each grade denoted by varying coloured belts. In the beginners and intermediate grades students are required to take part in 3 assessments. For each assessment a different badge will be awarded and should be placed on the left arm of their karate gi.

The grades gradually introduce children to the techniques and language used. It tests the beginner and more experienced students and motivates each to achieve the highest possible standards.

Training is however not all about grading. Wado Karate Federation teaches and trains all in the techniques required to grade, but also the wider aspects of karate should be experienced. Competitions, self-defence, etiquette, discipline, good manners and lasting friendship will all be encountered.

Each student should be allowed to progress at their own rate, although there are minimal levels to be achieved before assessment/grading.

Instructors will always be on hand to advise and students may be asked to delay assessments or gradings if it is felt not to be in their interest.

Promotion System and Belt Colours

10th Kyu (Beginners) ........... White
9th Kyu ............................ Red
8th Kyu ............................ Yellow
7th Kyu ............................ Orange
6th Kyu ............................ Green
5th Kyu ............................ Blue
4th Kyu ............................ Purple
3rd Kyu ............................ Brown
2nd Kyu ............................ Brown/One Tag
1st Kyu ............................. Brown/Two Tags
1st Dan ............................. Black
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

My e-mail system advises that I've received a Private Message from f0xxee. Unfortunately I can not access my PMs until I've made 10 posts. If you need to contact me f0xxee, could you please use the e-mail address in the OP wadokaratefederation 'at' gmail dot com (please remove spaces, and replace 'at' with @, add dot with . when e-mailing).
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Basic Requirements of All Wado Karate Federation Students

1. Observe correct etiquette:

a. Make sure the Dojo is clean.
b. Bow on entering and leaving the Dojo.
c. Greet your fellow students quietly.
d. Keep your finger and toe nails short and clean.
e. Do not eat or drink in the Dojo (there are sufficient breaks where fluids can be taken on board).
f. Wear a clean Karate Gi.

2. Know how to wear your Karate Gi.

3. Know how to tie your belt.

4. Know how to fold your Karate Gi.

Remember! Keep peace and harmony throughout your life.

NB: Although the above makes several mentions of Karate Gi and belts, we do not expect anybody to invest in such items until a pupil is really sure he or she wishes to continue with lessons. The 'really sure' process can sometimes take many weeks. However, as a general observation, students do not always feel an integrated part of the lesson until they are dressed as other students.

A Karate Gi is a very expensive item if it is only going to be worn once or twice.

Normal attire for new students is a loose fitting T Shirt with either shorts or tracksuit bottoms.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi John

Have the classes already started? If so I'd really like to bring my daughter along for a class on Wednesday or Thursday. She's only seven years and a few months old, but I am very sure she manage just fine, and she certainly won't run out of energy. She's also exceptionally keen on any that requires her to learn different moves and etc, which I suppose is why she's already won prizes for dancing.

Of course if I bring her along and you feel she's not ready yet, then you're more than welcome to say so, but I think she might just surprise you.

Thanks in advance

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Hi Takiap,

Yes, the Wednesday class has started. We have been running with 2 girls aged 13, but I think one has difficulty getting here, so I'm currently only expecting one student so far this week.

I am more than happy for your daughter to pop along on Wednesday. Please don't worry that the other girl is older. As beginners, they do not get physical with each other. We will be concentrating on fitness, and learning basic moves. A knowledge of dance will be an advantage. I've taught several dance students previously, and they have taken to karate very well.

Now comes the difficult part - I need to tell you where I am, and the only address I have is in Thai. I am not on the PM system yet, so we can only communicate by e-mail. If you could send me an e-mail, I will respond with directions, and a map.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Good luck John, look forward to a demo next year while the wife is eating somtam with ya mum. :D

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.