Buying a petrol powered strimmer/grass cutter

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Ken57
Amateur
Amateur

Buying a petrol powered strimmer/grass cutter

Post by Ken57 »

Good Morning All

I am going to buy a petrol powered strimmer /grass cutter for use by a relative on a farm
(gulp) I dread to think of how it may end up being used and by whom..........but that is
another matter.

My experience of strimmers is strictly electric and low powered. so I welcome input from
anyone who has bought or has knowledge of these tools.

Apparantly this tool will be used for cutting long grass ( buffalo feed) on a regular basis
and will save many hours of hand labour.

It needs to be reliable, durable and easy to service ( spares available)

Please can anyone give me any guidance on the engine capacity and type ?
( 2 stroke or 4 stroke )

I want to make sure that my money is well spent and my relative does not end up with a
crap chinese copy thing at never starts.

I thank you all
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Buying a petrol powered strimmer/grass cutter

Post by Takiap »

Most of the hardware stores around town have them. The Chinese ones are okay, but need regular servicing and probably wouldn't handle too much abuse. The Honda ones on the other hand, and just as reliable as the Honda scooters. My advice is go go a Honda.......roughly 6000K I think.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's mention of them here.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Have a look in Thai Watsadu

They had them starting at about THB1,300 the other week. Quite a big selection, and all surprisingly low cost.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Get a Honda four stroke - Honda parts are available everywhere. Ignore Robin and any other Thai/Chinese stuff, if you can find a Stihl or Husqvarna you'll probably struggle to get parts. Two strokes choke on long wet grass and require the operator to mix the oil/fuel right.

I've got one that is used at least every second day for the past five years for long grass and brush cutting. It's regularly used by Thai people and except for them insisting on removing the safety shield they've never broken it.

Regular (3 month) oil changes and greasing the drive-shaft at the cutter end are the only maintenance it's ever needed.
Wear & Tear - The fuel pipes need replacing every year or so. The support hub on the cutter and the blade carrier has worn out three times by hitting stones and obviously the blades need changed too, but you can sharpen then with a grinder over and over until they are thin slivers.

The standard one comes from the shop with three blades equidistant, good for lawns but it cuts long grass and scrub much better with two blades on opposing sides.

It was about 5000B - model number 425T.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Ken - some good advice from Frank

Problem that you WILL have is to get the thing regularly checked and serviced. :twisted:

Thais (and especially the rural kind) have absolutely no comprehension of preventive maintenance. The philosophy of 'it was bought by the farang - he will buy a new one - seems to reign' :guns: :guns:

We use two at the lodge - my guys soon learned to take care of them when I deducted the repair costs from their wages. 8)
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

Buy Honda. They are reliable and the parts are easier to find. More importantly, it's easier to find someone who knows how to service it.

If you buy a lesser known brand, a Thai can take it apart, but good chance he won't be able to put it back together again. Even if he does, more than likely he will have a pile of "extra" parts afterwards.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

I have had a Chinese make weed whacker for the last 3 years. Supatec if I remember rightly. I paid just over 3000 Baht for it and it has never let me down once. The most it has cost me is a couple of petrol pipes when the staff have used gasohol instead of 91. Apart from that it is as good as new.
Yes I would buy a Honda generator or motorcycle but for something so basic I don't think the extra lay out is justified. Each to their own though.
I quiet enjoy a days hacking at the weeds now and then. Very good therapy
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yeah, sound advice from the above fellows regarding weed-whackers........get the Honda 4 stroke (it's the king of weed-whackers here). Not only is it as equivalently good as the bikes but it can stand rough usage by the farm boys or the 'use it till it is busted' brigade.

Parts everywhere as said above and probably 6-8k baht give or take a bit.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Ken57
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ken57 »

Thank You All, especially Frank for the very enlightening reply, a Honda It will be

I have been looking on the Honda website and have short listed a few models

I have three further related questions that perhaaps Frank maybe able to answer

1. the model you have 425T I am guessing is the 25cc model, is there any point buying
the 35cc model ? ( or is the 25cc adequate for moderate use )

2. what type of handle bar or grip do you think is best ? the motorcycle bar type seems
more common but there is a hoop style grip available ?

3. I note most of the honda models are straight drive shaft, is there any disadvantage to
the straight shaft when compared to the slighty curved ?

thank you for your help, Ken (essex)
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Ken - sorry, mine is the 35CC model, the label is no longer on it (the labels are on someones motorbike I think) but it is the 35CC and it's got plenty of guts.

I have the motorcycle grip I've never used the loop-type but it doesn't look like it gives you the same leverage (swing action).

No idea about the drive-shafts, sorry. Maybe the bent ones are better for shorter people?
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

As I said for a bike yes always go for the Honda but for something like this I can't see the point. I have had mine over 3 years and spent maybe 120 Baht on it. if it goes bang tomorrow I go and buy another and I am still 2 grand in pocket compared to the Honda if 8K. Less than 20 quid a year and still going for something that gets used hard isn't bad in my books.
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Ken57 wrote:2. what type of handle bar or grip do you think is best ? the motorcycle bar type seems
more common but there is a hoop style grip available ?

3. I note most of the honda models are straight drive shaft, is there any disadvantage to
the straight shaft when compared to the slighty curved ?
Mrs deepee is on her 4th brushcutter and says that the motorcycle (or bull horns)style handles give you greater control of the machine especially for detailed trimming and they are kinder on your back if you are working the machine hard.

Generally the curved shaft system is used to lower production costs by using a simple flexible drive shaft rather than the solid drive shaft,bearings and gearing at the cutter end of the better made items.The direct shaft models are usually the bigger powered models and have a longer life expectancy.
Complexity is so simply overrated