Accident last night on Petchkasem Rd near Cha-am

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Accident last night on Petchkasem Rd near Cha-am

Post by Dannie Boy »

I woke up last night just before 1.00 am because I was hot and sweaty and realised there was a power cut. It took about 2 hours for the power to come back on, by which time I was dripping. Didn't think any more about it until later today when we heard that a farang had hit an electricity pole and taken down the power cables. This happened on the main Petchkasm road heading towards Cha Am, near the turn off for the ATV park (about 1.5km past Thai Watsadu). Rumour has it that he had been drinking and was taken to the police station (in CA?) and ordered to hand over 100,000 baht to pay for the damage. Early this afternoon we lost power again for nearly 2 hours - I assume they were repairing last nights damage.

Anybody know anything more about this?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Accident last night

Post by richard »

Binta blacked out last night at about 12.30. Only for a short time though
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:Binta blacked out last night at about 12.30. Only for a short time though
You sure that wasn't you blacking out Richard after one too many? :cheers:

Still don't know the full story but an early evening update suggests that he hit three posts, was breathalysed and was relieved of 150,000 baht by the BIB.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

First I hope the guy is OK and no damage except to his bank account - and presumably to his car!

But you have to admire the Thai way in cases like this don't you? Power poles and lines cost - and have to be replaced. I don't think around 5,000 per pole (if that is right of course) is out of order, and IF the BIB were sure the farang was at fault then fair enough - lesson learned hopefully.

Of course we all know that if he's actually swerved to avoid a dog/motorcike without lights on wrong side of road/other car etc the result would have been the same.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

margaretcarnes wrote:First I hope the guy is OK and no damage except to his bank account - and presumably to his car!

But you have to admire the Thai way in cases like this don't you? Power poles and lines cost - and have to be replaced. I don't think around 5,000 per pole (if that is right of course) is out of order, and IF the BIB were sure the farang was at fault then fair enough - lesson learned hopefully.

Of course we all know that if he's actually swerved to avoid a dog/motorcike without lights on wrong side of road/other car etc the result would have been the same.
I will try to find out more today - taking out 3 poles does seem quite an achievement.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

margaretcarnes wrote:But you have to admire the Thai way in cases like this don't you? Power poles and lines cost - and have to be replaced.
Same same in California. Damage anything owned by the state and the driver at fault, or his insurance, pays. I'd expect a utility company to submit a bill too, but never heard of that because none of my friends drive drunk.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, at least the driver survived, and hopefully he's learned a lesson. Also, good to hear he hit a few electric poles rather than some other innocent driver. In my opinion, he should be grateful that he only got a fine considering he was drunk enough to take down three poles.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Seems unlikely he HIT three poles. My guess would be he hit one but three poles came down due to domino-effect. And Mags that would be 50,000 Baht per pole. Still not unreasonable as it includes emergency repairs in the middle of the night and then proper repairs the next day that might involve delivery of new poles from possibly Bangkok, use of heavy duty crane etc.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Roel wrote:Seems unlikely he HIT three poles. My guess would be he hit one but three poles came down due to domino-effect. And Mags that would be 50,000 Baht per pole. Still not unreasonable as it includes emergency repairs in the middle of the night and then proper repairs the next day that might involve delivery of new poles from possibly Bangkok, use of heavy duty crane etc.
That's right Roel - or about 1000 stirling each - which I don't think is too bad either considering the work involved - plus the inconvenience. As others have pointed out anywhere else there would be a bill. Often taken off the drivers' insurance - as is the cost of ambulances etc in other countries.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: Accident last night on Petchkasem Rd near Cha-am

Post by BaaBaa. »

All sounds above board to me. :roll: