Christmas in Asia

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
PeteC

Christmas in Asia

Post by PeteC »

If you old hands had a young child and wanted to let them see a place/city here in Asia that had the closest Christmas "environment" to the West, where would you take them? Not meaning snow of course but the "spirit" of it all in lights, music, festivities etc.

I've seen most, but not Christmas in Korea, Japan or Chiang Mai...all of which are at least a bit cooler than where we are now, and also not in the Philippines. Any suggestions? :cheers: Pete
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Singapore always does a good job.

Last year they even had snow machines at the top of Orchard Road. Not real snow, but a whole shed-load of foam stuff floatin everywhere

Lights usually go up early Nov and stay there until Chinese New Year.

Lights are very good, sometimes Carol Singers around in the main shopping areas too.

All the shops join in with the decorations.

Probably you can search the web for some pictures of Singapore at Christmas

Winkie
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

it's a bit close to home for you Pete, but the wife and I had Christmas and New Year in Pattaya a few years back, staying in the Dusit. It was fantastic.

It is a joy, actually, to get away from Christmas in England, which is a hellish experience these days.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Jim wrote:it's a bit close to home for you Pete, but the wife and I had Christmas and New Year in Pattaya a few years back, staying in the Dusit. It was fantastic.

It is a joy, actually, to get away from Christmas in England, which is a hellish experience these days.
You're right Jim, some of the places really do it well but, alas, it's good to get away from this place from time to time.

Thanks also Winkie. I lived in Singapore in 1993 and it wasn't that good then, maybe time to re-visit. :cheers: Pete
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

It seems to be catching on all around the region. Singapore in particular because there is still a fairly large proportion of Christians living there.

KL also recognizes Christmas but not a big thing there.

When I first came to Thailand they had never heard of Christmas. Now here in Hua Hin the flower girls and watch sellers are busy selling Father Christmas Hats and decorations. Most festivities seem to be confined to the resorts though.

There are a few places in Hu Hin where Christmas Dinner is done.

As for snow. The way the weather has been here latelt I would not be surprised if we get some.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hong Kong puts a good show on, both in the stores and with all the buidlings facing the harbour decorated. At night its spectacular.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's unfortunate New Zealand is where it is, Christmas in June basically. Not that far of a flight either, just the wrong half of the globe. Now, that would be almost like going home if Dec 25 there on the south island had some snow and cold. :D Pete
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I agree with Caller. I lived in HK for 7 years & Christmas there is really quite good. The other plus is it's quite cold, as well (not quite Japan or Korea cold, but about 10 degrees celsius or so.) :mrgreen:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Guess wrote:It seems to be catching on all around the region. Singapore in particular because there is still a fairly large proportion of Christians living there.

KL also recognizes Christmas but not a big thing there.

When I first came to Thailand they had never heard of Christmas. Now here in Hua Hin the flower girls and watch sellers are busy selling Father Christmas Hats and decorations. Most festivities seem to be confined to the resorts though.

There are a few places in Hu Hin where Christmas Dinner is done.

As for snow. The way the weather has been here latelt I would not be surprised if we get some.
When I came over for the first time 8 years ago, Xmas was really big. All the bars rocking and rolling and the rest of town as well.
The second year, some bright spark decided to call regional elections on the 24/25th Dec, so all bars were closed.
The third year, town had changed somewhat, particularly in regard to the type of visitor here and celebrations were mainly held in the hotels - indeed, I think that most big ones insist on their residents paying for Xmas and NY dinners etc, even if they don't want them.
So, over those years, I really feel that HH lost it's charm around the festive season.
Still, I always have a good time, but generally at home over the 24/25th now.