Bypass mayhem in the rain

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Bypass mayhem in the rain

Post by dtaai-maai »

We've just driven home on the bypass between the Springfield junction and soi 112. North of the Pala U roundabout there was a 10 km stretch that had at least 10 recent accidents (we lost count) and then there was one more a few kms further south. I hope nobody was seriously injured, but somehow I doubt it. Most involved at least one overturned vehicle and more than one ended up hitting a tree.

The way drivers approached the hold-ups (in the rain) - changing lanes, using the motorcyle lane and not slowing down until the last second - made it obvious why the accidents occurred in the first place.

I've been here 10 years and I've never seen anything like it. :cry:
This is the way
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Bypass mayhem in the rain

Post by Bristolian »

It was the same story for me early last Monday morning as I headed back to Bangkok. It started to rain a little as I headed north out of Cha Am and continued off and on, all the way back to Rama II. It was carnage everywhere, pickup trucks overturned in the central reservation, trucks having come to blows and lost their loads, one truck and trailer was on its side at the junction with the 4, completely blocking all lanes of the exit slip road and only leaving the hard shoulder available to squeeze though. A solitary motorcycle policeman was trying his best to slow the traffic as the approached the overturned truck but to little avail. I was very lucky to have got through unscathed. One of the first rainstorms of the season, slippery road surfaces, dark, speeding traffic and vehicles leaving it until the last second to cut into the exit slip road. Absolute mayhem!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

It's called "natural selection". It's a slow process, but it gets there in the end. If after 10 or 20 years of driving, you still haven't worked out that wet roads are slippery, then you're not likely to ever work it out. The sad truth is, those same drivers that went skidding off the roads today, will go skidding off the roads again tomorrow. Sometimes I'm convinced this country is hell bent on winding us up. Fortunately I don't fall for it....... :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:It's called "natural selection". It's a slow process, but it gets there in the end. If after 10 or 20 years of driving, you still haven't worked out that wet roads are slippery, then you're not likely to ever work it out. The sad truth is, those same drivers that went skidding off the roads today, will go skidding off the roads again tomorrow. Sometimes I'm convinced this country is hell bent on winding us up. Fortunately I don't fall for it....... :thumb:

:cheers:
The "only" problem, is that these idiots are likely to take out innocent drivers in the process, if it was just themselves at risk I wouldn't mind but I don't want to be a victim of a mindless idiot.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Dannie Boy wrote:..............The "only" problem, is that these idiots are likely to take out innocent drivers in the process, if it was just themselves at risk I wouldn't mind but I don't want to be a victim of a mindless idiot.
:agree:
Nothing to do with the rain - just a mindless idiot.

Coming up to Bangkok this afternoon I had left the usual 7-10 minimum car lengths space in front to me whilst following a minibus.
Some twat in a new red plated Honda Civic came tearing up the inside and lurched in front of me, in a moment of anger I flashed my headlights and dropped back.
The goon then proceeded to poke one finger up - out of his window.
Meanwhile in front of him the minibus that I was previously following, slammed on his brakes.
The idiot in the Civic, now driving with one hand, also slammed his brakes and just missed the minibus.

I was now in the middle lane and passed them both - this was the gesture that I felt like making to him :tosser:

However - Mrs. T calmed me down.

In 21 years of driving in Thailand, this was one of the worse cases of shear stupidity I've seen - and believe me I've seen plenty.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :roll:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

New Honda Civic SUVs are fast becoming the new breed of Fortuner-drivers..seen many cases of bad driving & bullying by Civics on red plates of late.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Takiap wrote:It's called "natural selection". It's a slow process, but it gets there in the end. If after 10 or 20 years of driving, you still haven't worked out that wet roads are slippery, then you're not likely to ever work it out.
The "only" problem, is that these idiots are likely to take out innocent drivers in the process, if it was just themselves at risk I wouldn't mind but I don't want to be a victim of a mindless idiot.
Natural selection applies to all participants. To eliminate the chance of being killed by a mindless idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the rain one can choose not to drive during the rain. Or mitigate the risk by choosing to travel on roads with lower speeds.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Homer wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:
Takiap wrote:It's called "natural selection". It's a slow process, but it gets there in the end. If after 10 or 20 years of driving, you still haven't worked out that wet roads are slippery, then you're not likely to ever work it out.
Natural selection applies to all participants. To eliminate the chance of being killed by a mindless idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the rain one can choose not to drive during the rain. Or mitigate the risk by choosing to travel on roads with lower speeds.

If I'm at home and it started to rain, I would only travel if it was essential but that's not how it always works. You can easily start a journey in dry conditions and rain comes later. You have no idea how long it will rain for so what do you do, pull over and wait for it to stop....... and of course risk being rammed while you are waiting? And in Thailand where you may not be that familiar with alternative routes, that's not always going to be viable option.

Of course none of this will change the habits of a lifetime, so Thai drivers will continue unless and until a real deterrent is introduced - don't hold your breath waiting!!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Homer wrote: Natural selection applies to all participants. To eliminate the chance of being killed by a mindless idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the rain one can choose not to drive during the rain. Or mitigate the risk by choosing to travel on roads with lower speeds.
If I'm at home and it started to rain, I would only travel if it was essential but that's not how it always works. You can easily start a journey in dry conditions and rain comes later. You have no idea how long it will rain for so what do you do, pull over and wait for it to stop....... and of course risk being rammed while you are waiting? And in Thailand where you may not be that familiar with alternative routes, that's not always going to be viable option.
To be fair to Homer, he did provide an alternative suggestion!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Dannie Boy wrote: If I'm at home and it started to rain, I would only travel if it was essential but that's not how it always works. You can easily start a journey in dry conditions and rain comes later. You have no idea how long it will rain for so what do you do, pull over and wait for it to stop....... and of course risk being rammed while you are waiting? And in Thailand where you may not be that familiar with alternative routes, that's not always going to be viable option.
Pull over on a busy road? I'd only do so if the car was incapacitated. I get off the busy road.

Unfamiliar alternate routes? I always carried a case of maps in my car.

Waiting is not a viable option? Everyone decides that for himself. In US non-commercial civilian aviation almost half of all fatalities happen when pilots launch into, or don't turn back from, conditions they know are risky. One name for such pilot motivation is 'must get home syndrome'. Aircraft or car, everyone decides for themselves what 'must' means.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If you can't see the vehicle in front because of the rain ..... then you better get closer ------Thai logic!!!