Renew driving Licence

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Renew driving Licence

Post by Gregjam »

I have just got new motorcycle and driving licences at Pranburi without any problem (apart from having to return to Hua Hin to get the letters from immigration - my fault for not checking). They asked about my old licence but as it expired over ten years ago I got new licences. No problem and not too long to wait. Did the reaction and colour tests. The new licences are valid for one year and I am here on a Non Imm visa. Will I be able to get a longer validity on renewal or is this restricted to the type of visa you have. Some posts seem to indicate that you can get a 5 year validity on renewal.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote:I have just got new motorcycle and driving licences at Pranburi without any problem (apart from having to return to Hua Hin to get the letters from immigration - my fault for not checking). They asked about my old licence but as it expired over ten years ago I got new licences. No problem and not too long to wait. Did the reaction and colour tests. The new licences are valid for one year and I am here on a Non Imm visa. Will I be able to get a longer validity on renewal or is this restricted to the type of visa you have. Some posts seem to indicate that you can get a 5 year validity on renewal.
Fairly certain that the type of visa you have won't restrict your eligibility for a 5 year licence when they come up for renewal.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

We got our licenses on a Non Imm Visa.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Sounds good. Also noticed that I was be able to ride along the road past the railway station without being pulled over which used to happen in the past just because I was a foreigner. Kind of a let down after having gone to the trouble of getting the licence.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

We used to be stopped all the time before we got our licenses but have never been stopped once since, it was kind of disappointing to start with since we had made the effort to be legal!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I renewed my mbike tax and insurance a couple of weeks ago but didn't realise my 1 year car and mbike licence both expired 2 weeks ago so tomorrow I need to get proof of address x 2 and medical cerificate x 2 I believe as well as the passport & visa copies to try to get 5 year licences.

I will try the police station for proof of address as mentioned by others, anyone actually done this ? As imm charge at least 500 Baht each I think.

Anyone know where I can go for my med cert as I have been told the clinic I went to last time on the road near the railway line and night market street is closed now.

Thanks. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Is it possible to get the drivers and bike licence for both 1 year and 5 years on the same visa? Given that a 1 year 'O' effectively allows you 15 months, it seems possible but is it actually allowed?

Effectively,: is there a 'time remaining on the visa' component to issuing the 5 year at the back end of the life of the 'O' visa?
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Pagey wrote:I renewed my mbike tax and insurance a couple of weeks ago but didn't realise my 1 year car and mbike licence both expired 2 weeks ago so tomorrow I need to get proof of address x 2 and medical cerificate x 2 I believe as well as the passport & visa copies to try to get 5 year licences.

I will try the police station for proof of address as mentioned by others, anyone actually done this ? As imm charge at least 500 Baht each I think.

Anyone know where I can go for my med cert as I have been told the clinic I went to last time on the road near the railway line and night market street is closed now.

Thanks. :cheers:
For the medical certificate I went to a small clinic in Pranburi ( it was 2 years ago mind ) - location turn left at the traffic lights just past Honda ( also on left ) and it is 100 yds or so on the left, cost was so small that I forget Bht100 or less
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I dont think the visa expiry time is relevant since you cant get a 5 year visa! It just needs to be a valid non-imm at the time of application.

They will want two separate address letters though, and yes immigration charge 500 baht and the police don't, officially there is no charge for this document.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Gregjam wrote:I have just got new motorcycle and driving licences at Pranburi without any problem (apart from having to return to Hua Hin to get the letters from immigration - my fault for not checking). They asked about my old licence but as it expired over ten years ago I got new licences. No problem and not too long to wait. Did the reaction and colour tests. The new licences are valid for one year and I am here on a Non Imm visa. Will I be able to get a longer validity on renewal or is this restricted to the type of visa you have. Some posts seem to indicate that you can get a 5 year validity on renewal.
Fairly certain that the type of visa you have won't restrict your eligibility for a 5 year licence when they come up for renewal.

Agreed DB
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PET wrote:For the medical certificate I went to a small clinic in Pranburi ( it was 2 years ago mind ) - location turn left at the traffic lights just past Honda ( also on left ) and it is 100 yds or so on the left, cost was so small that I forget Bht100 or less
Yes, that place is still there - my son used it in April. Customary green and white sign outside. My son (who has Thai ID) paid 50 Baht, although I paid 100 Baht a few months earlier.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

PET, BB & Barry, thanks for the info on the clinic in Pranburi. I'd rather get the medcert in HH tomorrow if I can along with address confirmation so I can go straight to the licensing office on Thurs or Fri with all the paperwork ready. No one know of a clinic in HH ? :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

here is one. :thumb:

Dr Sumet Clinic
Located at 87/5 Petchkasem Road opposite soi 80 , Do Sumet is pediatrician offering vaccinations and full diagnosis. Dr Sumet is a very good pediatric doctor which is why the place is always full
Tel: 032-533404

I went to dr. on the right side on channel road going out from city about 300 m.in a town house,look for white sign with green letters. Price 100 bath.

Try google huahuin doctors and you willfind more.

:cheers: :cheers:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Last night the MIL came up with 2 more possible places. Opposite the clock tower, or in reality, after shopping mall, past 2 or 3 opticians then sandwiched inbetween 2 tailor shops and also left at Chomsin Road lights apparently is another one not far down.

BSDK I was aware of DR Sumet but I thought he was just for children, and as you say, every time I go past it is full.

So first stop this morning was the one opp clock tower which is called Hua Hin Polyclinic I believe which I have heard of in other threads but did not know its location. Did not see the doctor and got the 2 letters but a bit steep at 260 Baht for 2. Last year I paid 160 baht.

So then to the police station as I heard they do address confirmation quite cheap. Spoke to a pleasant smiley lady in the reception desk in front of you as you walk in. Told her I needed confirmation of address for driving licence and waved one licence at her to help her understand what I wanted. I never mentioned 2 letters or 2 licences at that point. 1,000 baht she said still smiling. A bit expensive I said, my friend say cheap. No she said, 1,000 Baht. But I said immigration is only 500 Baht. No she said, all the same price 1,000 Baht still smiling. So I said thankyou and left.

Rode to immigration, handed over passport copies to pleasant lady outside who completed a form and sent me inside to the door on the right. 2nd pleasant lady took my docs and passport and asked for 1,000 Baht for the 2 letters. Then admired my LV (copy) passport holder and asked me where I bought it whilst showing it to her young assistant. Waited outside for 10 minutes then the smiling assistant brought out my letters and passport.

Too late to go to Pranburi by then so tomorrow or Friday. :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looks like the cops in HH are well on the gravy train then, go a little south and you wont get charged for the residency letter.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson